• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tractors

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Been neglecting (not using) this truck for a while so what's better way to charge the battery back up

View attachment 79525
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer with the 4.6L V8 in it, and been thinking about getting an older F150 late 90's to 2008-10 to use to tow my 18 foot car trailer when I need to haul my tractor and implements around. Does your F150 have any issues pulling your setup? Your JD is bigger than my BX2680 so if you don't have any trouble with your setup the F150 would be fine with my smaller tractor/trailer.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer with the 4.6L V8 in it, and been thinking about getting an older F150 late 90's to 2008-10 to use to tow my 18 foot car trailer when I need to haul my tractor and implements around. Does your F150 have any issues pulling your setup? Your JD is bigger than my BX2680 so if you don't have any trouble with your setup the F150 would be fine with my smaller tractor/trailer.
I would think you would be fine towing that with your explorer. Especially if it’s only a couple times a year.
I have a 18’ trailer I tow occasionally tow with my ranger. About 2k lbs of trailer plus 2k of tractor is no problem.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
The Hudson trailer I have was lengthened 2' when I ordered it and it seems they didn't add it and adjust axle position. All in all it fish tails a lot because they didn't move the axle position back... With the right trailer it would be 100% fine. But I had to choke the tractor up on the trailer to prevent the fish tailing. Also I think these trucks need about .5% lower reduction on each gear 1st and reverse are way too low of a ratio and cause a lot of foot work. Just my opinion of the trans...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mom's old irs explorer ate rear struts and rear sealed wheel bearings just doing explorer crap. Never touched a trailer or hauled anything of note.

I wouldn't tow a half empty kleenex box with one.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, I tried looking up about the Ferguson tractors and comparing the pictures to try and determine exactly what I got and I’m confused. It’s got an early grill, but seems like a mis-mash of everything else. Probably going tomorrow to retrieve it and I’ll try and see if I can work out better identification. Never run one of these so I hope I can puzzle out how to run this beast. Anyone on here know much about these? Anything I should know about starting/running it? Supposed to be part of the 8N/9N/etc tractors. Got a 5’ brush hog and a 7’ blade for $143 each too.

https://bid.hostetterauctioneers.com/lot-details/index/catalog/33587/lot/5311594?url=/auctions/catalog/id/33587

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I tried looking up about the Ferguson tractors and comparing the pictures to try and determine exactly what I got and I’m confused. It’s got an early grill, but seems like a mis-mash of everything else. Probably going tomorrow to retrieve it and I’ll try and see if I can work out better identification. Never run one of these so I hope I can puzzle out how to run this beast. Anyone on here know much about these? Anything I should know about starting/running it? Supposed to be part of the 8N/9N/etc tractors. Got a 5’ brush hog and a 7’ blade for $143 each too.

https://bid.hostetterauctioneers.com/lot-details/index/catalog/33587/lot/5311594?url=/auctions/catalog/id/33587
Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson had it out so they split up and Ferguson based his tractor off the one he helped Ford develop.

They had a big legal fight because Ford didn't like him building his own tractors.

Any pics?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Thats a TO20 or 30. It was built after henry ford pissed off harry fergusion and basically told henry to go F himself.

Very very similar to a N ford except its OHV.

Continential built engine IIRC. Thats a good deal at 550 bucks even if it takes a bit to get it poppin

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson had it out so they split up and Ferguson based his tractor off the one he helped Ford develop.

They had a big legal fight because Ford didn't like him building his own tractors.

Any pics?
If my link works in my post, there’s pics, I don’t have any of my own yet.

Interesting, guess that would explain things. It seems to have a lot of the “better” sorts of things that I can see from later production N series, just the early grill. I’m guessing it’s 12 volt since it has an alternator

Dug out the big trailer this morning and found my f-150 needs a spring hanger fixed…

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If my link works in my post, there’s pics, I don’t have any of my own yet.

Interesting, guess that would explain things. It seems to have a lot of the “better” sorts of things that I can see from later production N series, just the early grill. I’m guessing it’s 12 volt since it has an alternator

Dug out the big trailer this morning and found my f-150 needs a spring hanger fixed…
Throw a triangle on it and drive it home.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Mom's old irs explorer ate rear struts and rear sealed wheel bearings just doing explorer crap. Never touched a trailer or hauled anything of note.

I wouldn't tow a half empty kleenex box with one.
That's kind of what I'm afraid of with my 08 Explorer...I'm sure the engine would be fine, but the independent suspension leaves a lot to be desired in longevity while towing. If I load the 2100lb trailer up with my tractor and all its implements/attachments I'm right below the max tow capacity of the Explorer...not sure how often I'd ever need to haul every single implement/attachment, but with just the trailer and tractor with loader, mower and box blade, or loader and tiller I'm at almost 6k.

I was thinking of an F150, but they honestly don't tow much more than my Explorer I don't think, at least not in a 4WD configuration. I don't need a crew cab, an extended cab long bed would work just fine for my needs, I have the Explorer if I need to haul people, when I need to tow I'm not hauling people LOL. Looking around at late 90's up to around the 2008 F150's they don't have much more than an 8k towing capacity it seems at least from looking around on the ole Googlator.

The Explorer seems to handle the trailer just fine, no issues maintaining control at all, and doesn't squat the back end of it down like I thought it would...if I tried this behind my Jeep Grand Cherokee I'd probably be hitting the bump stops LOL. I have the brake controller for the trailer and the trailer has brakes on both axles, one of the reasons I bought it was both axles have brakes, a lot of them I run across only have 1 braked axle....I'd rather have as much braking power as I can, I'm not trying to be in a race, its the stopping I'm far more concerned with....which brings up another point, I wonder if an F150 has more or less the same stopping power? Solid rear axle with an F-Series pickup would be better for sure, if I could find one that someone bought to actually use as a truck that had the max tow package would be great. Maybe an F250? I guess that would be more than plenty of truck, but at some point I'd like to get a dump trailer too so should I just wait and pickup and F250? I've seen a few tow dump trailers with an F150 but you can't put much in the trailer because they're pushing 5k empty, and an 8k towing capacity of an F150 don't leave much material capacity.

I honestly don't think I'd want to be doing this very often at all with the Explorer....I've already dealt with the wheel bearing issues last year they aren't cheap, and as large as they are, you'd think they'd hold up much better but they don't. The engine is fine, I question the transmission's capacity though pulling like that. From what I can tell is the 6 speed automatics aren't that great either.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't live out west like you but around here I have done fine for years hauling my biggest tractor with a F-150.

It might weigh 6k + trailer, between tractor pulls, plowing bee's tractor rides/shows... nary an issue.

Dump trailers are heavy, never pulled one.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
A tractor that small you “might” be able to pull on a trailer with a ranger , I brought my 63 ford 2000 home on a small tandem axle trailer with a V6 escape 50+ miles from home with no issues. I did try using my ranger once to tow it to a small show, was way too much for mine, wouldnt want to do it again.
CCBE7606-E2F7-4F30-9D2F-536841D2DFE5.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals