• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tractors

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
Fun times, on Saturday I mowed (been a dumb spring, ground is liquid, rained more than not for the last 3 months...) since grass has been growing like crazy
Last fall we bought a Cyclone Rake to pick up all the leaves rather than rake them into piles and burn em. Turns out the other thing the rake is good for is picking up grass that's grown too long because of spring weather like what you describe. This spring was really bad though.
The last three days is all I have been doing. The fields are still too soft and besides that a robin has decided to build her nest on the exhaust manifold of my 5000. Now there's four eggs in it. So no brush hoggin' for awhile.

xmarkcyclone.jpg Robinnest1.jpg

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
...need to get my 3pt disc fixed and work it up...
So.... is discing the way to go to help level out the ruts (I have a few). Tore up the trail back into my little woods where I go to get firewood and I need to get it ironed out. Plus, I would like to attack the field where I fly my RC stuff. Years ago it was plowed, disc'd and cultipacked. then planted ifor wildlife (clover, alfalfa, timothy, etc). Problem is it still pretty rough and I woul like to smooth it out.
We were thinking a disc would be a good start. What do you think?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
They make a thing called a pulverizer that I have found very useful for smoothing and final grading. Plus, it rakes the roots out pretty good. It has hard tines that can dig and rake, us a roller with little spikes that breaks up dirt clods and helps smooth and pack. It's not for heavy digging, just light grading and finish work.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Man... I want a tractor.

Gonna have to wait until I buy a place.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So.... is discing the way to go to help level out the ruts (I have a few). Tore up the trail back into my little woods where I go to get firewood and I need to get it ironed out. Plus, I would like to attack the field where I fly my RC stuff. Years ago it was plowed, disc'd and cultipacked. then planted ifor wildlife (clover, alfalfa, timothy, etc). Problem is it still pretty rough and I woul like to smooth it out.
We were thinking a disc would be a good start. What do you think?
Disk and a blade.

I disked some of my yard a few years ago, it took a couple years for the ridges to work out and I didn't feel it while mowing the yard.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Disc is just one step in the process, there's a chance I might borrow my brothers Ford 7000 and 8' tiller, that would probably save time... A disc is better on the ground than a plow for compaction from what I've heard, it takes some time though, if you corner with a disc it can make things worse if always in the same direction. Conveniently my disc is a Massey Furguson that is independently adjustable front and back. The front gangs do the digging and the rear push it back to the center so you can fix or cause several things... depending on the 3 point angle and the two angles it should be much better than the ancient pull type that just had 5 settings, not to mention it was bigger than my tractor could handle...

My plan is to disc to get everything dead and rotting, in a square pattern then 45* from there and probably the other way. That should hopefully get it broken up, then the spring tooth, then take the box scraper around and drag the dirt around to where it needs to be, might need to spot disc from there depending, then drag the 8' wide scraper thing around, mix in the chain harrow and spike harrow depending on clods... I hope to get it flat enough for RC airplanes too, I think I flew a glider here once and that's it, I need to get the planes out again...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plowing causes the opposite of compaction.

Then you harrow and disk afterwards to smooth it out and you are smooth enough for crop production.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, true, plowing turns over the dirt, lays the top on the bottom to kill the weeds, which is all fine and good but if you are constantly plowing the same area year after year to the same depth and not growing root crops that go more than say 8-10" deep you are going to have some compaction... probably a long shot and would take a lot of repetition... and be fixed with a chisel plow or chisel disc...

Thinking about it, a 2 bottom plow might not be bad for me to start, I have one I could borrow...

I've worked up the area once before about 6 years ago, but the gophers, moles and voles are mean...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, true, plowing turns over the dirt, lays the top on the bottom to kill the weeds, which is all fine and good but if you are constantly plowing the same area year after year to the same depth and not growing root crops that go more than say 8-10" deep you are going to have some compaction... probably a long shot and would take a lot of repetition... and be fixed with a chisel plow or chisel disc...
AKA "plow pan"

Just disking does the same thing only much shallower (depending on the disk)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Well, yesterday my brother and I went and picked up another tractor for him, was cheap enough... $1500 for a non running diesel Ford 4100 with decent tires. Turns out the fuel had gone bad somehow (smelled turpentiney...) and the petcock was plugged solid with aluminum corrosion and the fuel pump is gummed up or the fuel shutoff is stuck on or something... worst case it's a transmission and tires for another tractor and spare parts...

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Well working on my girlfriend's flower stand at their farm, on my birthday.. off to enjoy the new Tiki Bar I got from my brother and her shortly...

IMG_20220814_133720548_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220814_133728378.jpg
IMG_20220814_073516692.jpg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The last couple weekends I spent way more time than I should have moving the dirt from flattening the area for my shop... somewhere around 10 yards? takes a long time with a 26hp tractor with a 4' wide bucket on a janky front end loader... couple weeks ago I went to do some tractoring and noticed the innertube of one of the front tires was peeking out so I put on my spare which went flat in a couple hours, spent way too much time with that cleaning out the fix a flat that was in there and putting a tube in... anyway, that tire wasn't great and now has a bubble in the sidewall... I just ordered 2 new tires and tubes so I'll keep the one original tire as a spare (even have a wheel, found a front axle, hood, rear fenders and transmission at an auction for like $150. several years ago..)

Next course of business will be finding a new loader valve, my right shoe is NOT going to rust after this weekend... the spool valves are leaking pretty bad, it's been a seep for the last couple years, it's come to a head, time to update to a single stick valve, they're $70-120 online then I just gotta get BSP to SAE/JIC fittings or whatever makes the most sense... it's been hobbled together for a while so it's mixmatch...

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
The loader valve is running British pipe fittings? Who makes it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals