• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tractors

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If the trailer is nice and balanced it actually sits better towing 2500lbs then with 800lbs in the bed.
Yeah, balance is often times more important then overall weight.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m always amazed at how often I see people pulling trailers that make it obvious they don’t have a clue. Not leveled, improper balance, etc.

I don’t mind a tongue-heavy trailer as long as the suspension is up to it and it rides level.

I will balance loads too. The equipment trailer is a little heavy on the tongue empty and we loaded the skid steer with the engine towards the truck because it was easiest to load and unload that way, but we also had a line scribed on the deck that balanced things best with the dump trucks that hauled it. Some of the things I’ve hauled on it behind the F-150 I have had to put the heavy end on the ramps end of the trailer to keep it balanced.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'm glad I got the 18 foot trailer instead of the 16 foot trailer I initially went to get...sometimes things work out for the best, the 16 footer was sold before I made it 30 miles to the dealer...they had the 18 foot in stock so I took it. This is the first time loading up all my attachments/implements except for the 60" mid mount mower, ditcher/sub-soiler, and my 3 point receiver hitch...the bulk of the implements/attachments are on the trailer, the mower if I had to take it somewhere I'd just mount to the tractor so no additional space needed there. I could load the ditcher and 3 point receiver hitch on a pallet which could be loaded on either side of the trailer and just slide the bucket and box blade over and have plenty of space, but if I were to pickup a 4 foot rotary cutter at some point I'd still have room given I fit everything on there I have now and definitely wouldn't be doing that very much anyways, however this time with all the stuff on there I could tell the Explorer was doing some struggling on acceleration for sure. A larger truck is definitely something in the near future.

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm glad I got the 18 foot trailer instead of the 16 foot trailer I initially went to get...sometimes things work out for the best, the 16 footer was sold before I made it 30 miles to the dealer...they had the 18 foot in stock so I took it. This is the first time loading up all my attachments/implements except for the 60" mid mount mower, ditcher/sub-soiler, and my 3 point receiver hitch...the bulk of the implements/attachments are on the trailer, the mower if I had to take it somewhere I'd just mount to the tractor so no additional space needed there. I could load the ditcher and 3 point receiver hitch on a pallet which could be loaded on either side of the trailer and just slide the bucket and box blade over and have plenty of space, but if I were to pickup a 4 foot rotary cutter at some point I'd still have room given I fit everything on there I have now and definitely wouldn't be doing that very much anyways, however this time with all the stuff on there I could tell the Explorer was doing some struggling on acceleration for sure. A larger truck is definitely something in the near future.
My buddy has a 16 ft car trailer, 7500GVW, its a nice trailer but it seems kinda light built. I got a smokin deal on an 18ft brimar 10k Equipment trailer. Yes its overkill for most of what i do but i got it for 2500 bucks and have done nothing but grease it.

I did move it around the driveway with my ranger. (Its a hair under 2500lbs) The suspension didnt even squat really which surprised me. My F250 doesnt know its there even if i got 4 or 5k on it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m always amazed at how often I see people pulling trailers that make it obvious they don’t have a clue. Not leveled, improper balance, etc.

I don’t mind a tongue-heavy trailer as long as the suspension is up to it and it rides level.

I will balance loads too. The equipment trailer is a little heavy on the tongue empty and we loaded the skid steer with the engine towards the truck because it was easiest to load and unload that way, but we also had a line scribed on the deck that balanced things best with the dump trucks that hauled it. Some of the things I’ve hauled on it behind the F-150 I have had to put the heavy end on the ramps end of the trailer to keep it balanced.
Most people are ignorant or just don’t care until the trailer is fish tailing wildly and either runs them off the road or darn near does.

I went to great lengths getting the load right with my camping gear in the utility trailer. I went once just on a wing and a prayer, ending up with a pretty heavy tongue weight. It was with using the the FX4 to tow and the experience was not great.

The feel of a properly balanced tow load vs a bad one is night an day. Even with a lighter trailer.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
My buddy has a 16 ft car trailer, 7500GVW, its a nice trailer but it seems kinda light built. I got a smokin deal on an 18ft brimar 10k Equipment trailer. Yes its overkill for most of what i do but i got it for 2500 bucks and have done nothing but grease it.

I did move it around the driveway with my ranger. (Its a hair under 2500lbs) The suspension didnt even squat really which surprised me. My F250 doesnt know its there even if i got 4 or 5k on it.
I'm kind of leaning more towards an F250 would be plenty for my current needs and would kind of futureproof things. I don't really see anything that would require a 1 ton, but the F150 is kind of in the same towing capacity field as my Explorer....so going from the Explorer to an F150 I don't think would make much sense. The jump from the Explorer to an F250 would make a huge difference...and give me enough capacity for anything in the future as well. If I needed to rent a mini-excavator, there's no way they'd do it with the Explorer, and probably not with an F150 either. Skid steer behind an F250 might be iffy too IDK, but hopefully I don't need anything that heavy for anything I'd ever care to tackle LOL.

If I recall my car trailer is rated for 7500GVW as well. With every piece of equipment I have loaded on that trailer I think I'm about 1400lbs shy of the max LOL. However, that Explorer I don't see feeling up to pulling that much weight very far, for very long.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm kind of leaning more towards an F250 would be plenty for my current needs and would kind of futureproof things. I don't really see anything that would require a 1 ton, but the F150 is kind of in the same towing capacity field as my Explorer....so going from the Explorer to an F150 I don't think would make much sense. The jump from the Explorer to an F250 would make a huge difference...and give me enough capacity for anything in the future as well. If I needed to rent a mini-excavator, there's no way they'd do it with the Explorer, and probably not with an F150 either. Skid steer behind an F250 might be iffy too IDK, but hopefully I don't need anything that heavy for anything I'd ever care to tackle LOL.

If I recall my car trailer is rated for 7500GVW as well. With every piece of equipment I have loaded on that trailer I think I'm about 1400lbs shy of the max LOL. However, that Explorer I don't see feeling up to pulling that much weight very far, for very long.
I pulled a pretty large skidsteer once with an F150. IIRC it was around 10,000lbs with trailer. It was a 96 with a 300/auto/4wd with 3.55's. It actually pulled pretty damn good. I only went about 10 miles though. I know it was heavy enough to where when we loaded it it lifted the ass end of the truck off the ground when it came up the ramps lol.

But yes...an F250 is great. Ive thought about going back to a 1/2 ton but its so nice to not ever really wonder if my truck will handle it or not.

Honestly though a 350 isnt gonna be any different then a 250, they get same MPG...just a rougher ride.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I don't really see anything that would require a 1 ton, but the F150 is kind of in the same towing capacity field as my Explorer....
I’m not sure what year F150 you’re looking at, but mine is rated to pull 12,700 lbs.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Isnt the newest one rated at 14,000? With the correct engine and options...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Isnt the newest one rated at 14,000? With the correct engine and options...
Yup. Pretty much anything above the base engine w/ 3.31 gears can tow 8k plus, all the way up to 14k.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I was working this weekend and there was a super clean OBS F250 7.3 on the side of the road(rural county) not sure what they want for it. Haven't seen it on clist yet. Not sure what your looking to spend.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I’m not sure what year F150 you’re looking at, but mine is rated to pull 12,700 lbs.
90's. Don't want that new $50K truck nonsense...and no truck payment. Not in any hurry. An F250/F350 might pull that kind of weight I sure would try it behind a 1/2 ton.

Don't need anything new or close to new as it ain't a daily driver, it'll sit more than it gets used.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I was working this weekend and there was a super clean OBS F250 7.3 on the side of the road(rural county) not sure what they want for it. Haven't seen it on clist yet. Not sure what your looking to spend.
Probably $20k+ because it says 7.3 on it. No thanks don't care for diesels. My 460 did just fine for 30+ years. Everything in my area right now that runs is $10k+. Luckily for me I don't do tractor work as a business, so I'm in no hurry to buy anything, but I still look, as you never know when you might find the right deal, but there certainly hasn't been in the past couple years thanks to the shamdemic and the new truck part supply issues.

I don't want anything close to new as it would sit most of the time unless I need to tow, which with fuel prices anymore won't be very often at all LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I pulled a pretty large skidsteer once with an F150. IIRC it was around 10,000lbs with trailer. It was a 96 with a 300/auto/4wd with 3.55's. It actually pulled pretty damn good. I only went about 10 miles though. I know it was heavy enough to where when we loaded it it lifted the ass end of the truck off the ground when it came up the ramps lol.

But yes...an F250 is great. Ive thought about going back to a 1/2 ton but its so nice to not ever really wonder if my truck will handle it or not.

Honestly though a 350 isnt gonna be any different then a 250, they get same MPG...just a rougher ride.
I think the only difference between the F250/F350 is the springs, at least that was the case in the 80's and early 90's I think....but an F250 would definitely be more than what I'd need. Your F150 was definitely overloaded with that I6 LOL....they were only rated at what like 7-8k back then. I know my 88 F250 was rated for like 12k or 14k with the 460, couple thousand pounds more than the same truck with the 7.3L Diesel.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Probably $20k+ because it says 7.3 on it. No thanks don't care for diesels. My 460 did just fine for 30+ years. Everything in my area right now that runs is $10k+. Luckily for me I don't do tractor work as a business, so I'm in no hurry to buy anything, but I still look, as you never know when you might find the right deal, but there certainly hasn't been in the past couple years thanks to the shamdemic and the new truck part supply issues.

I don't want anything close to new as it would sit most of the time unless I need to tow, which with fuel prices anymore won't be very often at all LOL.
My 97 with a 460 has drug anything ive ever put behind it. 7.3's are nice if youre towing heavy long distance and/or in serious hills, and yes theyll get a few MPG better then a 460.

The 7.3 and 460 trucks were rated exactly the same...and the 460 is much more fun to drive, is cheaper to repair, and doesnt take 6 dollar fuel

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals