• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Traction-Lok or No-Slip ,street and winter

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Hey guys, I do not do any offroading, but I want to get more traction for winter. I have some decent tires, and am planning on putting weight in my truck again this winter. My truck done pretty good last winter on the road and moderate snow with my open diff, a topper and a little weight, but I couldn't get out of the driveway on more than one occasion. (long driveway)

The only vehicle that could get out of the driveway (until we had it cleared) was my girlfriend's dad's 4x4 blazer. He has since sold it, and I was wondering aside from buying a 4x4 (which I'm currently looking into) which will help the most with winter traction (deeper snow, a few inches or more), a ford LS or powertrax no-slip?

If I get the No-Slip it will cost around $517 shipped and I have to install it, but if I get a ford racing Traction-Lok, I can buy it and have it installed locally for $381. I don't really want a lock-rite, I would rather have something with a little smoother operation.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'd go the l/s. you'll be happier since you've already said you don't care for the lock-right. and as you're already considering a 4x4, i wouldn't go with a more expensive locker in this truck if it's to be traded or sold. if you have a 7.5 axle, i have a new l/s in the box id sell you for $150 shipped. i went with a detroit locker for mine and it's just sitting here.
no matter what you decide, a couple hundred pounds of sand/salt/kitty litter/floor dry in the bed will help considerably.
no clue where you live, but here in northern Minnesota, they're expecting this winter to be longer, colder, and with more snow than normal. uuugh!

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
i'd go the l/s. you'll be happier since you've already said you don't care for the lock-right. and as you're already considering a 4x4, i wouldn't go with a more expensive locker in this truck if it's to be traded or sold. if you have a 7.5 axle, i have a new l/s in the box id sell you for $150 shipped. i went with a detroit locker for mine and it's just sitting here.
no matter what you decide, a couple hundred pounds of sand/salt/kitty litter/floor dry in the bed will help considerably.
no clue where you live, but here in northern Minnesota, they're expecting this winter to be longer, colder, and with more snow than normal. uuugh!
Yeah, I don't think I would like the lock-rite, but I was wondering whether the No-Slip would be a better option in the snow. The No-Slip is roughly $100 more than the Lock-rite but If a locker would be a better option in the snow than a LS I would want the smoother locker. (No-Slip) If an LS would do just as good on-road/winter then I would be happy with that...

I'm not selling or trading the truck I have now, I want to keep it for the gas mileage, and get a 4x4 ranger with a 4.0 to haul stuff, pull my trailer and drive in the winter. So I'm willing to put more money in the 2WD I have now, I just want to choose the best (and least expensive) option to enhance on-road winter driving and getting out of the driveway after heavy snows. I live in Ohio, and last year my truck and my girlfriend's car never left the drive some days after we got some heavy snows. We had to have the driveway plowed 3 times and the only way we could go anywhere was in the 4x4 blazer.

Is the LS you have the same as this one?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4204-C75/

Is it brand new, never installed? Mine is a 7.5...

Thanks...

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'll get it out and compare the numbers tomorrow, but it looks the same for sure. mine doesn't say Ford Racing, just Ford. i'm sure it's the same but i'll confirm and let you know.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Buy a Ford Traction Lok.

New, they are just over $200.
Used/rebuilt, you can often find them for $100 or less.

Takes about 30 minutes to install yourself, and if was ant easier, it would do it on it's own. No need for heavy mods, as you are re-using your current gears.

Makes a world of difference in the driving.

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
i'll get it out and compare the numbers tomorrow, but it looks the same for sure. mine doesn't say Ford Racing, just Ford. i'm sure it's the same but i'll confirm and let you know.
Cool... I am interested.

Buy a Ford Traction Lok.

New, they are just over $200.
Used/rebuilt, you can often find them for $100 or less.

Takes about 30 minutes to install yourself, and if was ant easier, it would do it on it's own. No need for heavy mods, as you are re-using your current gears.

Makes a world of difference in the driving.
I know nothing about axles/diff's. I could probably install a lunchbox locker with a picture tutorial/good directions, but taking the entire diff out and setting up things I know absolutely nothing about doesn't sound good to me. If I get the Traction-Lok, I found a place close to me that will install it for $150. Is that a decent price?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the Trac lok is fine for your purposes. And FWIW, I have a No-Slip in my Dakota and I'm beginning to hate it, the Lock-Right I used to have in my B2 had better street manners.

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, here's everything right off the box:

SVOM4204C75, 7.5 Ford T/L POSITRACTION, Feb 23, 2009

i didn't get this at Summit and that may be the difference in the letter prefix, but the Ford core number is the same. been in the original box in my garage, so there are a few little spots of oxide on the surface only. it is new in the box. pm me if you want it and i'll email you with pmt info.
thanks.

Last edited:

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Well I finally got my new Trac-lok installed! Thanks again to strvger for selling me his. I wanted to get it installed sooner, but I had a belt break in one of my tires, got a brand new set of BFG's and the shop told me my ball joints were going bad. All is fixed and well now though! :)

Thanks for the help guys... :)

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
glad it worked out for you! :D
your post reminded me to leave some feedback for you. thanks again. :icon_thumby:
I posted feedback as well (once I figured out that I was doing it the right way)... :)

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. But keep in mind, I got a brand new set of the same tires I had, so they look the same other than I have a lot more tread. :) Besides having a new set of tires, another plus to having the belt break is I now have 3 decent matching spares... :D

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I've been pretty busy working in the day and Christmas shopping in the evenings, so I just snapped a couple pics with my cell phone after I pulled the truck in the garage...

New:

Old (Spares):

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals