• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Track down vacuum leak

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
I have a high idle when I put the truck in neutral coming to a stop. It may hang at 1500 or so when coasting and usually drops to 8-900. I cleaned up the IAC valve, not sure it is really working but i wanted to track down any issues with vacuum lines. There are a lot.

I noticed a few things on the truck....

The large tube from the oil fillter neck to the rubber intake just inbound from the MAF sensor doesn't have a hose clamp on the end by the oil filler neck... going to fix that.

All the connections seem to be tight and I don't see any broken lines.

I was considering capping off the small hard lines that come from the upper intake manifold and wrap around the back of the motor and feed the fuel rail after it leaves the head and crosses to the passenger side wheel well. Woudl that cause any problems other than temporarily removing power from the HVAC?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Its suppose to stay at 1,500 rpm while coasting until you come to a stop. It's part of the emissions system.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Even when fully warmed up?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes. Engines pollute less at higher rpms so the computer holds the rpms up to 1,500 until you come to a stop. 1,500 at a coast and 850 at a stop is exactly where it should be.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
I would never have guessed that. Very interesting. And the truck has California emissions, so whatever pollutes less goes.

Another question. How can i test that the vaccuum system is working correctly because now that I have started to think about it I have questions. Should there be some HVAC responses that are expected, like when the fresh air door/recirculate opens and when the lever on the heater hose bypass valve would normally operate. These are probably not easy to give a straight answer to...

Is there an expected vacuum reading for idle? and a best place to hook up a guage?

Thanks!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There's no specific set number to see on a vacuum gauge, there's simply an "acceptable range". All engines are different based on age and wear. 17-24hg is considered OK.

The engine won't react to the vacuum operation of the hvac controls because A. The amount of vacuum used is minimal and B. The vacuum reservoir holds vacuum so the controls aren't directly operated by the engine.

The best way to determine a vacuum leak is to start the engine and unplug the IAC valve, the engine should drop to around 500 rpm or stall out. If so you're good to go. If it keeps running fine you have a vacuum leak.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Really appreciate your answer. I did see the vacuum reservoir by the front passenger tire. Makes sense. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals