• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Track Day Willow Springs

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any more info on truck and driver?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Is that you?

Would be a great picture for next year's TRS calendar.

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
Yup, thats me.
Engine and trans still stock, trying to kill it so reason to swap the new 2.8 in.
You can follow my Insta @parlorbikes
I dont spend to much time on here but happy to answer questions.
Figured I would share some photos by @caliphotography

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You dropped it. How? Anything else? Bigger sway bar? Still using stock geometry with the TIB? I don't use Instagram....

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
DJM beams, 1992 4.0 auto a/c ext cab springs, Hellwig sway bar, Rancho 9000 adjustable shock,
Rear is a combo of many things, Belltech drop leaf brackets -2", ranger edge leaf springs +1.75" 2250 load rating, -1" drop leaf shackles, pinion shims + 1/2"?, sway bar from 96 with the longer drop arms

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'm surprised by how much I like this. I'm usually not a fan of short trucks. Especially like the way that grill came out. Might have to keep my eye out for a broken one in the junkyard to do that to.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That appears to be Streets of Willow. I have never run that track but have run the long track many times over 30 years of racing in SCCA.

That looks like a lot of lean for an asphalt track vehicle. I have never run a truck but it looks like you could use a stiffer front sway bar and maybe springs. It would be a lot more stable in the corners if you get it lower. That is especially true of the rear. Your Ranger seems to be higher in the rear and can cause a lot of instability in the rear in "s" type curves.

If you do go to a stiffer front sway bar that will induce more push (less front grip) and you will need to balance that with a stiffer rear sway bar too. I am sure a race truck can be a handful with the light rear end along with a tendency to push. I think that combination would be tough to get a good balance.

No matter what though, I am sure you are having a blast. Do you compete or just like to get on the track for some fun time?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used to live in Rosamond CA, before getting out of Dodge in 2002. Willow Springs was five miles from my front door. They used to allow motorcycles on the track when there were bike races there, occasionally. I've ridden on the track many times. but never the Streets track, only the larger one. Back then, I was married, and our daughter used to work at the snack stand there.

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
I'm surprised by how much I like this. I'm usually not a fan of short trucks. Especially like the way that grill came out. Might have to keep my eye out for a broken one in the junkyard to do that to.
The grill is just rusty old expanded metal safety wired on to of the oem grill and a small piece to cover the 2 center grill vents.

Last edited:

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
That appears to be Streets of Willow. I have never run that track but have run the long track many times over 30 years of racing in SCCA.

That looks like a lot of lean for an asphalt track vehicle. I have never run a truck but it looks like you could use a stiffer front sway bar and maybe springs. It would be a lot more stable in the corners if you get it lower. That is especially true of the rear. Your Ranger seems to be higher in the rear and can cause a lot of instability in the rear in "s" type curves.

If you do go to a stiffer front sway bar that will induce more push (less front grip) and you will need to balance that with a stiffer rear sway bar too. I am sure a race truck can be a handful with the light rear end along with a tendency to push. I think that combination would be tough to get a good balance.

No matter what though, I am sure you are having a blast. Do you compete or just like to get on the track for some fun time?
This is big Willow at the top of the horseshoe. I build and prep race cars for a living so I hear everything you said. I like the front rake and have made all the adjustments to balance it each time I do a round of upgrades. This truck is just a good change of pace from cars that can really be tweaked at every point to make them faster. This truck is amazingly balanced as it sits and I can still haul 3 engine blocks and parts if needed, hence the higher rear with HD leaf springs. I only need to use brakes 2 times on this track with the power I have. Turn 1 and thru 5-6 just off throttle and tap the brakes to get the truck to rotate. Pretty much everywhere else the truck will rotate just by off throttle and turn in. The tires are 245/40/15 and 200 tread wear so they “catch” the truck quite well. Here is just a few of what I usually work on.

Attachments

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Very cool. More pictures of the truck.(y)

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It sounds like you know what you are doing and don't need my advice. That is amazing that you can race your truck and still use it to haul stuff.

That photo titled 'session 3 turn 6' threw me off when I saw that fence on the right. It looked like you were on the Streets of Willow side of it. Now I can see you were at the crest of turn 6 on the long track with The Willow Springs balcony in the background. I drive an HP Austin Healy Sprite which is also a fairly low powered race car, so I have an idea of what you are dealing with. Willow Springs is normally consider a high horse power, high speed track but it is also a very good momentum track. With slicks some decent times can still be made. I brake three times. Fairly hard before turn 1, a quick tap entering 3 and use the incline as a bank then a quick tap just before turn five. The accelerator pedal is flat to the floor otherwise with the exception of a quick let up and turn at the top of turn 4 to get the car to rotate. Turn 9 is right on the edge of control going flat out and in traffic I sometimes breath the accelerator pedal there.

Before I started racing many years ago, I ran my 2800 CS BMW at Willow Springs a few times with the BMW club. I know running with street tires is completely different than with slicks. I had 225 tires all around and pretty much needed new tires after a weekend there.

I stopped racing with SCCA in 2019, but still like to get on the track for fun. Keep that Ranger going.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Thanks for the new phone wallpaper ;)

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is awesome! It brings back memories of mini truck racing back in the 80's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals