• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trac-bar fab

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Going to be putting a 79 Bronco d44 under my 88 Ranger. Looking into trac-bar fab right now. What are y'all using for your trac-bars? Bushings? Heims? Johnny Joints?

If y'all don't mind, please post up what type of joint you are using, and what size it is. As well as what size, type, and thickness of material for the trac-bar itself.

I tried searching, but I think I just suck at finding what I'm looking for. :thefinger:

Thanks

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I chopped a TJ trackbar down using the stock bushing on one end and welded a bung into the other for a 3/4"x x3/4" Heim on the other to keep it adjustable. Material would be 1.5" x .250 wall IIRC.

Last edited:

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I chopped a TJ trackbar down using the stock bushing on one end and welding a bung into the other for a 3/4"x x3/4" Heim on the other to keep it adjustable. Material would be 1.5" x .250 wall IIRC.
How is that holding up?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
On my second heim joint in just over 40xxxkm's, but they're cheapies. Other then that, it's mint. I used the original jeep bushing, so I have no clue of the mileage on it.....but so far so good.

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On my second heim joint in just over 40xxxkm's, but they're cheapies. Other then that, it's mint. I used the original jeep bushing, so I have no clue of the mileage on it.....but so far so good.
Sweet! I may look into that when I get to that point of the build! :headbang:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3/4" QA-1 kevlar injected heim at the axle end and Ballistic poly bushing at the frame. Material is 1.5"x.250" DOM. I've got 15k miles on it and still goin strong. I thought my heim was getting sloppy at one time, but found it was something else transmitting vibrations.

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3/4" QA-1 kevlar injected heim at the axle end and Ballistic poly bushing at the frame. Material is 1.5"x.250" DOM. I've got 15k miles on it and still goin strong. I thought my heim was getting sloppy at one time, but found it was something else transmitting vibrations.
is there any reason why you chose to run a heim and a bushing? And any reason why you chose to put the bushing at the frame, instead of at the axle?

I'm not a complete moron, just tryin' to see other people's setups, and wondering why they went the way they did.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I'm using the Kevlar-injected rod ends from Ballistic Fab on both ends of my track bar. Granted it doesn't seen DDing duty, it's worked great so far and the parts are fairly easily and cheaply replaced.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
just one thing to add about the ballistic heims. I run all ballistic heims and inserts and crap currently, when i just swapped over to full hydro i noticed that 2 of the 4 heims were very sloppy and 1 has a pretty bad bend in it where the thread shank turns into the casing. Havent talked to ballistic about it yet but am going to end up trying a new manufacturer (whoever PSC uses)

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
just one thing to add about the ballistic heims. I run all ballistic heims and inserts and crap currently, when i just swapped over to full hydro i noticed that 2 of the 4 heims were very sloppy and 1 has a pretty bad bend in it where the thread shank turns into the casing. Havent talked to ballistic about it yet but am going to end up trying a new manufacturer (whoever PSC uses)

What brand are yours, QA1? That's what I bought from them.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there any reason why you chose to run a heim and a bushing? And any reason why you chose to put the bushing at the frame, instead of at the axle?

I'm not a complete moron, just tryin' to see other people's setups, and wondering why they went the way they did.
I guess the reason was because it was relatively cheap. I haven't checked prices but I could probably just replace the heim for the same price as rebuilding a flex joint. Heim at the axle due to packaging purposes (I could use a narrower mount).

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The heims you're using on your steering? That doesn't make much sense. In theory those links are two force members, and shouldn't be subject to any side loading that would cause them to bend. That's weird man.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
the bends make sense where they are... imagine my tire at full lock and laying on the side or whatever.... during one of these many sessions it would appear that perhaps it bent due to the tire trying to push in on it when already at full lock. ill take pics when my new parts come and these come off or maybe go out and see if i can get a pic of the bend currently.

I dont know which ones they are?? they were the more expensive ones almost exactly a year ago... like 27 each or something.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
i cant really get a clear shot with everythig installed... when i get my new parts ill take pics and show it.

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. From the research I've done, I'll probably end up running 3/4"x3/4" heims on both ends. Its going to be strictly a trail rig. Will only see 3 or 4 wheeling trips a year. With the 3/4"x3/4" heims being as cheap as they are, carrying a couple spares will be no big deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals