• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tps relearn

Osinski91b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 ranger 2.9 5 speed 4x4. I am about to replace the tps and iac as soon as they come in. Just wondering if there is a relearn procedure for these. I'm a Chevy guy with my first Ford and trying to get it running right. I know Chevy has a procedure to relearn the tps and iac and I can't find anything for the Fords

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Disconnect the neg battery terminal, this will erase the KAM (Keep alive memory/needs at least five minutes unhooked, to complete erase)-replace the parts, and hook it back up--Computer will relearn again.

You may need to check the "closed throttle" voltage, on the TPS, but usually not. Your replacing them "why??" Ck Eng lite on?? Dead spot on throttle, at cruise speed??

Last edited:

Osinski91b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Check engine light, very erratic idle, strange changes in Rpm at cruising speed. Truck sat for a long time and figured it wouldn't hurt to change them and see if it fixed the issue

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a more in depth procedure but in reality what snowrider said works fine 99% of the time.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Replace the PCM and the fuel pump relays--How long did it sit?? If 1 year or more, change out the Gasoline-its BAD--Fuel cleaner, after!!!!--get it into the injectors, ect, maybe couple of tanks, over time--don't be afraid to add a full bottle to say, a 1/3 tank, concentrating the mix--Old gas varnishes/coats the insides of your fuel system, with very nasty stuff.

Osinski91b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It sat for multiple years but I have had it running for about 6 months with new fuel and cleaners occasionally. I got the tps in today and replaced it with the relearn procedure stated above. It is idling great now. Still going to replace the iac when it comes in cuz I already have it coming. Only fuel issue I have now is that the fuel gauge is not accurate. Going to try and run a better ground or replace the sending unit

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds great!! I had a lot of PCM and fuel pump relays needing replacement--What happens is the resistance, in the relay,drops the voltage, say down to five volts of so, and caused the computer to think the key had been turned off, so it would go thru a rev/restart procedure --Dam things would be sitting there idling fine, al the sudden you would get a big rpm flare, same as just starting the engine- they are not very expensive, and are quite important. Hope this helps.:)

Osinski91b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it goes back to a bad idle I will replace the relay. Kinda sounds like what mine was doing. I only had it idle till it warmed up. Haven't drove it around yet.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Anytime I have messed with something on the engine, namely the tps or the IAC, it takes 3 or 4 start and run cycles before it seems to finally settle down and make it's mind up on the new settings or components.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals