• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tpms tire sensors 2008 ford ranger

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
Hello, i have a 2008 ford ranger XLT 2.3l engine 5 speed manual transmission 6 foot box. i never did the tpms sensors for the tires but have tire light that comes and goes. was wondering what brand to use that doesnt cost the moon? and can you do the job yourself? and can i set them myself without a tool? if i was to let a garage do it what is the average cost? is there a way to check to see which one it is thats bad? and what frequincy are they on?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not to sound condescending but have you simply checked the tire pressure? If the light is going on and off its probably just a tire close to the low pressure threshold for the warning to come on. The pressure goes up and down throughout the day as the tire temp changes.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First, do you have a cell phone charger in the vehicle, if so unplug it and see if TPS light stops coming on
Cheap chargers can interfere with the RF signal from the TPMS sensors

2008 Ranger can use Valve stem pressure sensors, best deal is a set of 4, you need to break the bead of the tire to install the new sensor inside the wheel then reinflate to reset bead
You shouldn't need to re-balance the wheel if tire stays in same position on wheel

You will need the hand held broadcaster to reset/reprogram the system, they can be found for $20-$30, not sure how good they are but maybe someone else has used them
An auto Parts store may rent them, or loan them, to use in their parking lot, it doesn't take long to do it

Tire shop will do it for you but you would need to call and ask how much, for just the reset or for installing the new sensors and reset.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The factory tpms sensors on the 2008 are banded style, you can switch to the stem style but I would think the change in weight/location would require a rebalance. :dunno:

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
thanks all and yes did check tire preassure sometimes light goes out for a bit then comes back on been doing this like 2 years.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Very possible the batteries, or a battery in the sensors are bad or going bad. If so, the affected sensor will send false readings to the monitor.
Google up "tpms sensor going bad-batteries" Life span on batteries is supposedly 7-10 years.
Also, depending on sensor, battery may not be able to be replaced...new sensor required.
When I put new tires and new alloy rims on my 2009 Ranger I didn't even bother with new sensors. I'm old school and check my tires twice monthly with the "original tpms", an accurate tire pressure gauge.
Besides, most of us oldsters can tell by seat of the pants when a tire is loosing air pressure...never had tpms back in the wagon wheel days.

Last edited:

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
Very possible the batteries, or a battery in the sensors are bad or going bad. If so, the affected sensor will send false readings to the monitor.
Google up "tpms sensor going bad-batteries" Life span on batteries is supposedly 7-10 years.
Also, depending on sensor, battery may not be able to be replaced...new sensor required.
When I put new tires and new alloy rims on my 2009 Ranger I didn't even bother with new sensors. I'm old school and check my tires twice monthly with the "original tpms", an accurate tire pressure gauge.
Besides, most of us oldsters can tell by seat of the pants when a tire is loosing air pressure...never had tpms back in the wagon wheel days.
Hello, so dont you have to have them light will be on? i am old school too.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Yeah, if you delete them the dash light/indicator will remain on all the time. as the monitor/computer will read failure in the sensors.
You cannot "turn" the dash light off, but simple way to hide it if it bothers you is to simply remove the clear dash cover and put a small piece of black electrical tape over the light, and re-install the clear plastic cover.
Have done that on several vehicles that I put custom rims on but didn't want to buy new sensors.
On my Ranger, light stays on, but it doesn't bother me.
Also, on Ford band type sensors, the battery cannot be replaced...new sensor is needed. And, when a battery goes, there is no way to know which sensor is bad...you almost have to replace them all and re-program them to your truck.
On more expensive vehicles, when a sensor goes off it will actually indicate which tire is affected...but not on our inexpensive Rangers. Light goes on so you have to check all tires.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the sensors are just not there at all the light will flash for 30 seconds on start up, then stay on solid all the time.

Dirtman is correct that changing the stem-mounted sensors is going to change the balance of the tire, requiring a re-balance.

These sensors cannot be trained to the vehicle without a TPMS tool.

I have had very limited success using aftermarket sensors of any sort. I would try to find Ford ones. Prices for parts and labor obtained locally is going to vary pretty widely based on location, and ever knowing you are in New York is not specific enough. You need to call local shops for pricing.

It would be pretty easy to say which sensor is acting up, with a good scanner. You can pull up the signals from each sensor and see which one is whacky.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My 2009 has Autel sensors and they programmed fine with the crappy 20 dollar amazon tool. Can't say how durable they are since I've only had them for 6 months. I'd stay away from Dorman, or any weird no name Chinese brand. Like Adsm said, try ford sensors first.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve been running aftermarket since I bought winters tires for my 2011 not long after I bought it. They have worked fine.

I couldn’t tell you the brands since the tire shop ordered and installed them but it has been more than one brand. All of them have lasted for years.

When swapping tires between winter and summer, I just use a inexpensive remote with a red button from amazon. The same one my local dealer uses.

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
Yeah, if you delete them the dash light/indicator will remain on all the time. as the monitor/computer will read failure in the sensors.
You cannot "turn" the dash light off, but simple way to hide it if it bothers you is to simply remove the clear dash cover and put a small piece of black electrical tape over the light, and re-install the clear plastic cover.
Have done that on several vehicles that I put custom rims on but didn't want to buy new sensors.
On my Ranger, light stays on, but it doesn't bother me.
Also, on Ford band type sensors, the battery cannot be replaced...new sensor is needed. And, when a battery goes, there is no way to know which sensor is bad...you almost have to replace them all and re-program them to your truck.
On more expensive vehicles, when a sensor goes off it will actually indicate which tire is affected...but not on our inexpensive Rangers. Light goes on so you have to check all tires.
well for state inspection will it pass with light on?

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
well anyone use mobiltron sensors?

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
well for state inspection will it pass with light on?
Never had a problem here in Va. Have a Subi and the Ranger with custom rims and no sensors. Light on all the time and both pass inspection every year.

porksbboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Can you remove the bulb from the cluster?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals