• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tpms tire sensors 2008 ford ranger

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Why would you? :dunno:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can you remove the bulb from the cluster?
Not sure why you would go to all the trouble to disable a warning indicator when its easier to just fix the reason it is on
And TPMS light on doesn't matter for Smog testing, its not an emissions or engine system

If you also require a Safety Inspection then TPMS light being on would be an issue, but if TPMS light did not come on with key on, the bulb test, then THAT would be the same issue as it being on all the time, so disabling the bulb is not really an option to pass a "test"

Last edited:

porksbboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Not sure why you would go to all the trouble to disable a warning indicator when its easier to just fix the reason it is on
And TPMS light on doesn't matter for Smog testing, its not an emissions or engine system

If you also require a Safety Inspection then TPMS light being on would be an issue, but if TPMS light did not come on with key on, the bulb test, then THAT would be the same issue as it being on all the time, so disabling the bulb is not really an option to pass a "test"

No safety inspection where I live. Ive been thinking about two sets of tires and wheels. One set for comuting and tame off road. Another for off road and woods and streams. I dont want to go rock crawling. Would be nice to not need to worry about TPMS light when swithching out. I know how to run a tire pressure Guage.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So don't look at the light?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All vehicle models produced after September 2007, and sold in the US had to have TPMS, 2008 in Europe

A UK company makes a TPMS by-pass unit, seen here: https://tpmsbypass.com/

It broadcasts the wireless signal of each tires pressure at correct set pressure using 2 AA batteries, so no wiring needed
You set vehicle up for the re-learn procedure for new sensors, the key on/key off, brake pedal thing
Then when TPMS is in "learning" mode you switch this device on
And TPMS "learns" each tire, but not really, lol
Then you leave the device in glove box and no more TPMS light

When key is off you can change the AA batteries, not sure how often they need to be changed

Then you can swap tires all you want

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I just don't get all this work to make a little light on the dash go out. I mean, it doesn't even blink...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, next thing you know the Battery light is on and you ignore it, its just a light, then the Oil light is on, just a light, forget it...........................and then you are walking, because of a STUPID light being on :)

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have used the bypass device that RonD mentioned above. They can be obtained from fleabay for about the price of having one sensor replaced. It worked fine in the 2008 MKZ that used the band type sensors, programmed right up and never had a problem until I accidentally switched it off. Then I reprogrammed it and it worked fine as long as I had the car.

However, I got one for the 09 Ranger which has the valve stem sensors, and it will not program to that system. iirc, they are a different frequency. Anyway, I am 1 for 2 using on my vehicles.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
An 09 would have had the band style from the factory so they were replaced at some point. Most fords are 315mhz. There are only two frequencies widely used 315 and 433. 433mhz seems more European.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Apparently, on the Ranger it depended on which model or trim level you got, because Rockauto says you may have the valve stem ones as early as 07 on the Ranger and you may have the band type as late as 11. Pretty sure the Ranger ones I have are factory ones because they have the metal sleeve that threads on from the outside to hold the valve stem in place and I've not seen those on any replacement ones, even the Motorcraft replacement ones look like normal valve stems. All the late style FX4 wheels I remember from new have the valve stems with the metal sleeve type valve stems, and I've only seen those on valve stems that include the tpms sensor. Or did they use those fancy valve stems and still use the band type sensors?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals