• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TPMS light on but pressures are good

Myles Cyncora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70R16
On my way to work today my tire light came on after 25ish minutes of driving. Everything as got to be at temperature by then. I didn't feel and difference in my truck so I kept going to work. As soon as I got to work I checked all the pressures and they were all 30psi. This isnt the first time the only difference I can think of from that time to this time is this morning was already +2°C where the first time was -7ish°C. Both times happen in pretty much the same place only a handful of metres difference. I am wondering could this be a sign that one or more of the sensors are going bad? Or something else? The first time after my work the light was off. I'm hoping that's what will happen this time also unless anyone has any ideas. Thanks

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If they are the original sensors from 2008 yea they are due to be replaced. They are only made to last about 10 years so you got more than a good life out of them. They are powered by small batteries, and batteries don't last forever. And as they get old they are more susceptible to cold.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Certainly sounds like a sensor failing. It may take a certain amount of drive time for the sensor to show as faulty.

I know mine are original, and I am not looking forward to replacing them. I will probably wait until I get a new set of tires. Fortunately in NJ, you cannot fail for a TPMS light on.

Just curious, is it just a light that comes on, or a chime as well?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Replacements aren't too expensive anymore. You don't need the OEM banded style, just get the valve stem ones. If you look for deals you can get all 4 for about 100 bucks. Obviously not including the cost of unmounting and rebalancing the tires...

Myles Cyncora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70R16
Ok thanks. To the person that asked if there is a chime no there isnt a chime for the tire light on my 2008. Although I got this set of wheels and tires used so potentially they could be older then 2008. Is there a way to test each sensor?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not that Im aware. They don't have any source to actually read the PSI or the internal battery condition. They simply get coded to the truck with a small tool and that's it. How long ago did you put the new rims on and were they properly programmed then? You could try reprogramming them. The tool for that is about 15 bucks.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On my 09, it takes about 20 or so minutes of driving before the tpms system decides that it has not heard from a sensor and starts flashing the light. It flashes for about 45 seconds and then stays on solid the rest of the trip. I bought one of those tpms spoof things from ebay (which I have used successfully in the past on other vehicles) but I cannot get it to pair up with the system in the Ranger. So, I guess I just need to get a couple sensors replaced. The guy I bought it from had replaced 2 of them when he got new tires, but of course the other 2 are dead now. My advice is to replace all of them when you have to do one.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A bad TPMS sensor is a thing. I’m dealing with one on the winter tire set that belongs to the 2019.

Eventually, I’ll get annoyed enough to take the truck in and get the sensor replaced. I doubt the warranty is still in effect, so I’ll be eating that one. It happens...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok thanks. To the person that asked if there is a chime no there isnt a chime for the tire light on my 2008. Although I got this set of wheels and tires used so potentially they could be older then 2008. Is there a way to test each sensor?
Yes. Sort of.

You need a good scanner though. Make sure they are trained to the proper locations and the drive until the light comes on. You can then look at the tpms data and see which sensor is reporting an incorrect pressure. That is usually a sign of a dying battery in the sensor.

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My TPMS story of this past week... Last Saturday I purchased a set of factory aluminum 5 spoke 16 X 7 wheels from an '04 4WD. Matching set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 from late 2017 in decent shape. Did not even give a thought to the sensors as I ASSumed my 2010 didn't have the system (duh!). Bought it in Jan. 2018 and apparently never ran on low pressure in over 3 years since I've owned it. Never saw the light until after 4 days and 75 miles driving on the 16's. Digging through some other posts, I saw that the band types were used from '07-9 and the valve type from '10-11. Ford parts show only the band type though 2011 ($83 each list, ouch !).

Since I will need to get the tires balanced anyway at a shop, I might as well look to replace them all. As Dirtman mentioned above, I can do all for about the price the dealer gets for one. Any particular brand /system that others have used with success ? Please advise...

Also, would be nice to include some info on this subject in the wheel/tire tech library. Since I brought it up, maybe I will.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Much appreciated ! Don't see the sense in trying to recover 11 year old sensors and reinstall with new 16" bands from the old 15". Still have the 15" steel 7 spokes that are serviceable. May post in "for sale". Would trade for a decent spare. I don't think the factory donut will work well with the current 245/75/16. Hard to imagine it even with the 225/70/15... At least my '99 had a real spare !

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I don't know if the Autel ones can be programmed via the cheap 15 dollar ford tool though. May wanna look into that unless you're just gonna buy them online and have the tire shop put them on and program them (which is what I did). Autel TPMS programmers are stupid expensive.

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will definitely research it further and TPMS may get the back burner . I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like things that aren't right. But I'm looking at a lot of other work. Like yours (Dirtman), mine was a fleet truck. Had regular maintenance, scheduled fluid changes, etc. Knowing fleet maintenance from both sides, the minimum is spent. ie, new pads are put on already worn rotors. I can tell only one upper control arm was replaced, where most of us replace things in pairs. To make it short, brakes, front end, shocks need addressed first. All the engine maintenance is great (other than that PCV you advised on already lol). This is a rare rust belt vehicle. Life in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. It has a good frame...no rhyme or reason to them in these parts. I'm fortunate !

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
What is the recommended tire pressure that is on the vehicle door sticker?

30lbs may be below the trigger threshold & you need to simply increase the tire pressures to turn off the alarm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals