• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tpms issue/flashing dome lights

Danger_Ranger.308

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know what the tpms would have to do with the dome light but I do know virtually all passenger cars, trucks, and SUVs since 2007 had Tpms equipped from the factory (minus one tons maybe) . Also there's two different frequencies for sensors. I dont know the exact date for the switch but round about 2015 most domestic manufacturers switched from 315 hz to 433hz. Most cheapie tire scanners dont show the frequency so you can beep the tire with the tool but the vehicle still won't recognize it. Idk why but I've had the hardest time with ford tpms sensors in the shop. From complex learn mode dances (put the key in your right pocket, set the park brake with your right foot while simultaneously pumping the accelerator with your left foot whilst rubbing your head and patting your belly) it's one thing that Chrysler excels at, just drive the vehicle and if the frequencies are the same it will learn them.

I'm not saying they didnt do something to cause the dome light issues but I doubt they're related system wise

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had a “cheat” idea for the tpms system, 4 new sensors inside a sealed & pressurized pvc tube, synced to system & stashed in/under vehicle. Going to put the original wheels back on & drop off at a dealership to see what they can do.

Danger_Ranger.308

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I've flashed the spare in place of a faulty sensor to make a light go away before, you might be on to something lol. Most vehicles just need the sensor in range so as long as they're in the vehicle somewhere it would probably work. Then again, if your tire fluctuates by a few pounds (temp related) i wonder how much the pressure would change in the smaller tube with less volume!?! like 5 degrees difference turns the light back on and you're constantly adjusting. just thinking out loud now :D

if it works you could probably sell them on ebay for a small fortune though :)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Wouldnt be legal, I have no issues doing it to my own vehicle (doesnt make it any less of a “crime”) There is something on fleabay that’s supposed to bypass the “feature “, not sure how they get away with marketing & selling it. I see it as its my vehicle, I’ll do as I please. It all goes back to the big firestone tire thing where I don’t really even thing it was a tire issue as much as its a lack of basic vehicle maintenance. I can (&do) check my own tire pressure, dont need some nanny system monitoring it for me. Im not even sure the idea would work, not adviseing anyone to try the same-just a random thought from a rambling mind. How the dome lights figure in I dont know, I just know everything was fine before I took it in to NTB. and right afterwards the dome lights blink on/off. The fact that the original set of tires dont “take” to the relearn procedure says something, they worked before. After last winter when they were put back on the system read them, idiot light & message went away. I may just have to live with it.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I will be back in Danville tomorrow

Danger_Ranger.308

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Imagine a time where simply disabling a stupid feature on YOUR ride could land you in trouble with the big G man, oh wait here we are lol

Once a upon a time I as young service tech working for goberment motors had the brilliant idea of using resistor packs to dumbie the sensors. For a basic understanding for those that don't know how them little bastards work. A pressure sensor in the tire broadcasts a resistant value across Radio a Frequency to a module in the vehicle in this case for a Chevrolet would be the RCDLR or remote control door lock receiver. In my brilliance and lack of morals combined with the desire to rebel against the system while pocketing untold numbers of cash doing back door dealership disables, I began the top secret project.

Before the project got full underway a nosey service writer busted the group up with the whole "Thats illegal" line, Service Managers got involved, General Managers, the works! My argument was simple. Whatever the bs law they were citing regarding the federal mandate to require TPMS on all Vehicles sold in Murica doesn't apply to the individual after it was purchased! It WAS on the vehicle, It was functioning correctly, it just wasn't functioning as designed to after it was purchased. I was holding my own there for awhile, the Service Manager was on my side and everything, however it was eventually run by the bean counters and they had to call some big wig idk probably Mr. Goodwrench himself and it was determined that my argument was correct! My system was perfectly within reason providing of course that was only to be used at customers request, BUT......

There's another even older law that pertains to dealers in particular and it basically states the dealership cannot Remove or render inoperable ANY safety system that was designed on the unit, Cant turn abs off, airbags, warning lights, NADA. Im fairly certain that doesn't apply to independent shops or there's millions of them that don't give a crap along with virtually no enforcement branch like the EPA or anything.

All that bs to say F them man you can do what you want to your own vehicle.

The above statement is not verified and shouldn't be taken as legal consent.

P.S your idea with the pressure tubes is almost as simple as having the module flashed (tpms deleted) by criminal hackers that work in speed shops all over the world. :D :rolleyes: :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals