• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rangers came stock with 1,100, 1,250 or 1,350lbs springs. The 1,750lbs springs that a lot of places sell are a heavier than stock aftermarket part.
Making sure your Ranger has a sway bar in back makes more difference than heavier springs. There's a part of me that says heavy springs will mask a small problem until it becomes a big one. If you're needing 3,500lb worth of springs in back, for what is in box/tongue weight, you need a bigger truck.​

And surge brakes DO meet federal requirements.
Section 393.48 of the Motor Carrier Safety Regulations allows trailers with Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWRs) of less than 12,000 lbs., to have surge brakes assuming vehicle-to-trailer GVWR ratios of 1:1.175. i.e. for a Ranger with 5k GVWR, you can't tow a trailer with surge brakes over 5,875lbs GVWR. But that is so far above Ranger's GCWR, that it won't be an issue for you.​
Due note, it is trailer GVWR not actual weight, which is why u-haul won't rent their auto hauler with GVWR of 5,290lbs to someone with 2wd Ranger with only 4k GVWR. Trailer exceeds the allowed limits.​
Are they as good as electric brakes - hell no. But they work a lot better than electric brakes when wet - i.e boat trailers. And are a lot better than no brakes when using multiple tow vehicles.​
I put a 5 wire plug on my Ranger and trailer with surge brakes - plug is basically 4 wire flat with one more outlet. The 5th wire comes from reverse lights and goes to solenoid on the trailer brake line. That way when I back the trailer up, it doesn't have brakes. I happened to like the surge brakes I had on my little enclosed trailer, but I did play with set up until I got it the way I liked it - the shock in hitch being replaced with one that applied brakes appropriate for my trailer's setup. If the shock isn't stiff enough for load/worn out - you get the condition @Dirtman describes of trailer surging forward with braking, then applying brakes hard jerking back where upon it releases brakes and cycle repeats. If it is too stiff, brakes never apply.

In a lot of the cases with the youtube videos, if they had loaded the trailer correctly, i.e. 15% or more weight on tongue/drove responsibly, they wouldn't have had issue in 1st place. Just because your truck has so much power you barely notice the trailer, doesn't mean you should drive like it isn't there.

In addition to 12" front brakes, does your Ranger have 10" rear brakes? I think all 4x4s came with 10" rear drums by '00, but this is Ford...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The general rule of thumb for tongue weight is 10%-15% to prevent trailer sway and not put too much weight on the tow vehicle.

People don’t seem to understand how important that is and never take the time to make sure the tongue weight is in limits. Let alone check to see how much they actually have loaded on the trailer.

Weight distribution done right, trailer sway should not be a problem. Of course, that doesn’t account for wind or going to fast for road conditions.

My trailer is small enough that wind should never be an issue. I have had very mild sway issues with bad rods from snow and had to slow down in order to prevent it from becoming more than mild.

This is after a 2 hour drive coming back from Cleveland on I-80.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The ranger came with two different payload ratings 1250 and 1750(only on payload package two trucks). Could just order a replacement 1750# leaf springs off rock auto. They have them, just checked.
At least for the frist gens there was more to the payload package than just the springs. I know the rear sway bar was one thing, they may have played with the tranny cooler and whatnot too.

BUT at the end of the day the sticker on the door is what matters, you can't change that.

thatclapped3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2000 3.0 4WD auto just like yours. the stock rear springs in my other Ranger, a 2005 reg cab 4 cly
can handle a hell-of-a-lot more than the 2000 4wd can.
I'd look for a set with 1 more leaf from a newer, up to 2011, 2WD Ranger. or get the 1750 springs new.

car-part dot com for used stuff. it will list multiple salvage yards.

since you're in the rust belt, how good are you at removing big stubborn rusty bolts?
that can be the deciding factor between replacing springs, or just adding an extra leaf.
Ima look into that right now, and bolt can't be stubborn if its liquid 😂

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
And surge brakes DO meet federal requirements.
Section 393.48 of the Motor Carrier Safety Regulations allows trailers with Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWRs) of less than 12,000 lbs., to have surge brakes assuming vehicle-to-trailer GVWR ratios of 1:1.175. i.e. for a Ranger with 5k GVWR, you can't tow a trailer with surge brakes over 5,875lbs GVWR.​
I am a little bit behind the times. Looks like they changed the rules in 2007.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I wonder when they changed their policy? Same as the feds? Interesting they make a specific comment about it. I do know they used to not be legal, but time flies and I am getting old.
PA? I couldn’t say. I know it’s been around for a number of years. At least since I started exploring putting some kind of brakes on my trailer.

I started looking into it when I started the reconditioning and upgrading of the trailer. Since I’m still using the thing while doing the project, it’s taken a number of years. Longer than expected.

The plus side is I have been able to shake down the trailer as I go and fix any issues before they become a big problem. The down side is this going on year 5, I think?...

Gotta make sure the bed liner and paint is dry before I start chucking in the camping equipment or hauling loads of whatever.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals