• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing with a 2019 Ford Ranger

FresnoTom

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi all,

Will be towing a travel trailer with my 2019 Ford Ranger during Thanksgiving week. This is the first time I will have ever towed anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The towing limit for your truck is 7500lbs.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Brake controller and sway control are good too. Towing a camper without them arnt fun. Speaking from expereince.

Also, a good rule of thumb is you dont want to tow more then about 70% of your trucks rated capacity when it comes to a camper. A 7500lb skid steer and trailer is alot difderent for towing then a 7500lb camper is.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The towing limit for your truck is 7500lbs.
Depending on whether the Ranger has the Trailer towing package or not, its limit might be 3,500lbs. And it's limit for unbraked trailer is 2k lbs.

Assuming @FresnoTom is towing in California (based on signature) then he is pretty much guaranteed to need a trailer brake controller.
California trailer law: Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels. (It's almost impossible to find a travel trailer with lower GVW; what the trailer actually weighs doesn't matter, it trailer's GVW that counts).​

Depending on the size of the trailer, towing mirrors might be required. Also, while not required by Ford, a weight distributing hitch will make towing much more comfortable is the travel trailer is of significant size. (Knowing a little more about the trailer would be helpful).
Remember the brochure tongue weight was for the trailer empty - adding couple 20lb propane cylinders and battery can easily add another 100lbs on the hitch, more if full. And depending on how you load the trailer you could add even more.​

Plan your route, be prepared to drive slower, leave a gap to traffic ahead, anticipate any stops (all the defensive driver stuff). Make wide turns - the trailer is going to turn inside. Watch overhangs - trailer could easily be 3' higher than the Ranger. Expect reduced fuel economy - premium let's the turbo make most power, but it gets pricey.

From there have fun, take pictures and let us know how it goes.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Assuming your Ranger has the factory tow package, if your trailer is over 2000 lb. you will still need to add the Brake Controller from Ford Accessories. It costs about $350 plus installation at the dealer. Any aftermarket brake controller can be used and installed by an RV dealer but the Ford unit works with all the factory stability controls and the 7-pin connector.

The owner's manual says to use 91 octane gas when towing. Watch some YouTube videos for tips on backing up a trailer.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Just take note your fuel mileage will plummet. My truck on average gets 22 mpg(only run 93). Just towed a 6*10 open trailer with a lawn mower all the way across the blue ridge last weekend truck probably had 200lb of gear in it 2 occupants. Averaged around 18 mpg. Can put that 6*10 with the ramp up catching wind and watch the mileage drop. Towed a 6*10 enclosed trailer full around town etc get around 20.

FresnoTom

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Depending on whether the Ranger has the Trailer towing package or not, its limit might be 3,500lbs. And it's limit for unbraked trailer is 2k lbs.

Assuming @FresnoTom is towing in California (based on signature) then he is pretty much guaranteed to need a trailer brake controller.
California trailer law: Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels. (It's almost impossible to find a travel trailer with lower GVW; what the trailer actually weighs doesn't matter, it trailer's GVW that counts).​

Depending on the size of the trailer, towing mirrors might be required. Also, while not required by Ford, a weight distributing hitch will make towing much more comfortable is the travel trailer is of significant size. (Knowing a little more about the trailer would be helpful).
Remember the brochure tongue weight was for the trailer empty - adding couple 20lb propane cylinders and battery can easily add another 100lbs on the hitch, more if full. And depending on how you load the trailer you could add even more.​

Plan your route, be prepared to drive slower, leave a gap to traffic ahead, anticipate any stops (all the defensive driver stuff). Make wide turns - the trailer is going to turn inside. Watch overhangs - trailer could easily be 3' higher than the Ranger. Expect reduced fuel economy - premium let's the turbo make most power, but it gets pricey.

Thanks to all who commented on the need for a brake controller. I did get the Ford one installed, but had to go to a local shop to get that accomplished. The mechanics at Ford did not know how to do it. It’s working well.

I do have the tow package, so do get the 7,500. Also have a weight distribution hitch. working on the sway bar.

Great advice!

FresnoTom

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Brake controller and sway control are good too. Towing a camper without them arnt fun. Speaking from expereince.

Also, a good rule of thumb is you dont want to tow more then about 70% of your trucks rated capacity when it comes to a camper. A 7500lb skid steer and trailer is alot difderent for towing then a 7500lb camper is.
Thanks for the weight advice. I’m good on that front (because I was careful with both purchases).

FresnoTom

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just take note your fuel mileage will plummet. My truck on average gets 22 mpg(only run 93). Just towed a 6*10 open trailer with a lawn mower all the way across the blue ridge last weekend truck probably had 200lb of gear in it 2 occupants. Averaged around 18 mpg. Can put that 6*10 with the ramp up catching wind and watch the mileage drop. Towed a 6*10 enclosed trailer full around town etc get around 20.
I’ve heard about that drop in mileage. Thanks for confirming!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Most I've towed with mine was mid 6k lbs, and the truck did great. As previously mentioned though, a camper is going to haul differently than this ol pig did. A windy day while hauling a camper would be exciting.

I get about 12-13 mpg hauling vehicles, you should probably expect to get around 10 or so.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yes, ecoboost engines can be real gas hogs when towing a bigger trailer load since the engine is going to be in boost most of the time. Not a huge deal if you don't tow all the time but if you do it on a regular basis, the Ranger might not be the best choice since there is only one engine option.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
That's what the super duty is for but the ease of the daily driver having a trailer hitch is often too convenient.
IMG_20190307_180258644.jpg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Regardless of the engine. I'd be happy with the truck with whatever engine it came with.
Right...i was just curious. At some point id like to own one. Only ford truck engine in damn near 30 years to get excited over

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals