• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing Package Option

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I’ve owned a 2000 Ranger 4x4 for almost 20 years now and just found out there is another crack in the frame. (I had the first one welded a few years ago). I think it’s time to let this one go and get the new 2019. I bought my 2000 Ranger used with about 20,000 miles on it and it came with the original towing package that included a 4:10 rear axle ratio. This is the only thing I didn’t like about the truck. It was a dog when merging onto the highway or when passing but I put up with it. Since I’ve had the truck I’ve only towed a trailer once but do load it up with firewood about four times a year.

With my new Ranger I don’t plan on towing anything but will still do the firewood loads. I feel like I can by-pass the towing package on the new Ranger but I’m also one of those guys who thinks “It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.”.

My question is: If I get the tow package on a new 2019 Ranger 4x4 will the performance be as sluggish as my old 2000 with the 4:10 ratio?

Thanks for any info,

Kevin S

toddiscdn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Gear ratio is the same, tow package or not, you will be quite surprised at the power on hand with this little engine. Ive towed my loaded, double enclosed snowmobile trailer(+/- 3000lb) and my relatively light 16' fishing boat, no issue. A good load of wood can weigh quite a bit, but guys are hauling way bigger RVs than I would think of, so Im sure you will be fine a couple times a year.

SO to properly answer, tow package only adds hitch and wiring, cooling, low end torque turbo engine and gearing matched with the 10 speed are already good enough. IF you dont get it a after market Curt hitch can be had cheap and a 4 pin is present on all trucks.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Uhhh your old ranger had about 140 horsepower, the new one has 270.... I think you'll be ok.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the 2019 Ranger has standard ratio of 3.73, no 4.10 option that I can see, the 10-speed automatic has 1st gear ratio of 4.7:1......."granny gear" lol, so 4.10 wouldn't help much
Doesn't get to 1:1 ratio until 7th gear, 8th, 9th and 10th are OD ratios

It does have optional electric locking rear axle on 2WD or 4x4 models, that's always helpful

Towing package adds a class 4 hitch with 4 pin and 7 pin plugs for trailer

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Get the tow package whether you use it or not, at some point when you sell it, the tow package will make it a little easier to sell as many who want a truck want it to tow something.

Strange that your 2000 Ranger had trouble with a 4.10 axle those are usually the ones that get you moving quite quickly as they're geared for towing so unloaded it should have got you off the line much faster.

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the quick responses to my first post on the Ranger forum!

I’m not really a “car guy” and never fully understood the relation between the 4:10 rear end HP and trans. Throughout the years I’ve owned my 2000 Ranger everyone told me it’s slow get-up-and-go and 13 or 14 mpg was because of the higher rear end ratio. (I have to almost floor it on a downhill highway entrance ramp to merge) At one point early on I even considered having the rear end changed out but decided not to because I never thought I’d own this thing almost 20 years. I really like my 2000. I keep it clean, wax it once a year, have repairs done right away and change the oil every 3k miles. But, this is the second time a crack was discovered on the frame. I had the first one welded now the second one is in a different spot. I hate to get rid of it but I think it’s time …. Goodbye old Ranger, Hello car payment!

About the new one … If I take the plunge I’ll be getting the SuperCab 4x4.

Toddiscdn
- Question: So you’re saying that the cooling, low end torque engine and trans gearing are standard without the tow package?
- The 4 pin wiring looks like it would be fine for me and an aftermarket hitch would be cheaper. However, for resale later it might be better to have the $495 “factory installed” package on the receipt. Even if it is only the hitch and wiring.

Dirtman
– Thanks for your reply EMTP …. (retired ff here)

RonD
– I’ll have to look into that electronic locking rear axle. I don’t do off-roading but do live in Chicago where the snow can pile up pretty high sometimes.

Wildbill23c
– As I say above, I’m leaning toward getting the factory installed Tow Package.

Also, for anyone interested, I did some on-line research and found that an average weight of a full cord of dry oak (the heavies of species) is about 1,900lbs. ¾ of a face cord (this what I haul about four times a year) of dry oak weighs about 1,450lbs, 410lbs under the 1,860lb max payload stated by Ford. BUT … the payload calculation I found on line (GVWR minus Curb Weight) is off by about 250lbs.

2019 Ranger
GVWR 6,050lbs
Curb Wt. 4,441lbs
Payload 1,609lbs (251lbs under the Ford advertised 1,860lb payload)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't say anything on Ford's website but you might inquire if it comes with additional cooling or different suspension setups.

Dhare

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
The tow package is pretty inexpensive, so it makes sense to go ahead and get it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
from what i understand, All Rangers, mechanically, are exactly the same execpt passenger layout; crew cab or extra cab, nothing about extra anything but the hitch and wires.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Thanks for the quick responses to my first post on the Ranger forum!

I’m not really a “car guy” and never fully understood the relation between the 4:10 rear end HP and trans. Throughout the years I’ve owned my 2000 Ranger everyone told me it’s slow get-up-and-go and 13 or 14 mpg was because of the higher rear end ratio. (I have to almost floor it on a downhill highway entrance ramp to merge) At one point early on I even considered having the rear end changed out but decided not to because I never thought I’d own this thing almost 20 years. I really like my 2000. I keep it clean, wax it once a year, have repairs done right away and change the oil every 3k miles. But, this is the second time a crack was discovered on the frame. I had the first one welded now the second one is in a different spot. I hate to get rid of it but I think it’s time …. Goodbye old Ranger, Hello car payment!

About the new one … If I take the plunge I’ll be getting the SuperCab 4x4.

Toddiscdn
- Question: So you’re saying that the cooling, low end torque engine and trans gearing are standard without the tow package?
- The 4 pin wiring looks like it would be fine for me and an aftermarket hitch would be cheaper. However, for resale later it might be better to have the $495 “factory installed” package on the receipt. Even if it is only the hitch and wiring.

Dirtman
– Thanks for your reply EMTP …. (retired ff here)

RonD
– I’ll have to look into that electronic locking rear axle. I don’t do off-roading but do live in Chicago where the snow can pile up pretty high sometimes.

Wildbill23c
– As I say above, I’m leaning toward getting the factory installed Tow Package.

Also, for anyone interested, I did some on-line research and found that an average weight of a full cord of dry oak (the heavies of species) is about 1,900lbs. ¾ of a face cord (this what I haul about four times a year) of dry oak weighs about 1,450lbs, 410lbs under the 1,860lb max payload stated by Ford. BUT … the payload calculation I found on line (GVWR minus Curb Weight) is off by about 250lbs.

2019 Ranger
GVWR 6,050lbs
Curb Wt. 4,441lbs
Payload 1,609lbs (251lbs under the Ford advertised 1,860lb payload)
Having the factory tow package gives you the full wiring for trailer brake controller, additional lighting features, and auxiliary power to charge a travel trailer's batteries while you are driving, etc. Its more than just a receiver hitch (although those aren't exactly cheap to have installed) and a couple wires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals