• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielp3344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
32/11.5R15
OK, so it's looking like I might buy a new vehicle soon, and by now I've kinda phased out my previous truck (87 F150) so I could use some advice. The vehicle in question weighs around 3300 lbs, and could probably be towed on a dolly so that should only add a few hundred, it needs to be towed about 400 miles. Do you guys think it's doable? I took off the bumper hitch and will be buying a frame mounted one, FWIW.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not legally with a manual transmission. 2,700lbs is max with v6 manual. (That's for a 2 wheel drive, 4x4 is even less at 2,400lbs).

Last edited:

danielp3344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
32/11.5R15
Do you know where I can find tow ratings? Also ignoring legality for a second, do you suppose it's *possible*?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Owner Manuals are posted in the Tech Library for many years of Rangers... tow rating can probably be found there.

Is it possible? Maybe...

Would I do it... Nope

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Anything is "possible". But not safe.. Your towing more than the Ranger itself weighs, and most likely without brakes.
Not safe !
Just let us all know where and when your going to tow, so we can be sure to stay off the roads that day.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

I don't discuss non-legal... you will be held liable if you get in accident while towing above the legal limit.

There chart starts at 1992, but 1992 is the same as a 1989.

If you were to do it somehow on a private road. Yes, it would physically move it. Would absolutely need trailer brakes. A 1989 ranger could not stop 3800 pounds.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's one thing to tow an over rated load around the block or in your yard. Something completely different when you are talking hundreds of miles. We aren't just thinking of your safety but ours and the general public. You are not just exceeding the tow limits by a little bit. Being able to go is only part of the equation. The other part is control ability and being able to stop. My dad learned that lesson the hard way. Ran into a concrete abutment at the bottom of a long hill because his brakes overheated and he couldn't stop. It darn near killed him. Don't repeat that mistake or be that person. You might take out more than yourself.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

danielp3344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
32/11.5R15
I appreciate all of your concerns but you're not helping. Anyone can say 'don't do it' but if you're going to say that you should actually give reasons.

A 1989 ranger could not stop 3800 pounds.
That site suggests 4500lbs for a 91 ranger 4x4 with a 2.9, what gives?

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Plain and simple...don't do it...it's not safe !!! That's about the best "reason",
Dolly most likely does not have a braking system, the load your towing weighs more than what your towing.
And, since your asking for advice, you've apparently never towed something like what your asking about.
I have many many times, and I would not even think about it without a full size pick up and brakes on the dolly/trailer.
Can't give you any better reasons than those.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I flat-towed my 68 with my 97 B4000.... it was within the limits (gcvwr is 9,000 #s for my truck as it is equipped), but just barely, and a spectacularly bad idea, in retrospect. Had to put 2 or 3 large coolers in the bed of the truck and fill them with water. Otherwise the Bronco pushed my truck around all over the road. OK in a straight line, with LOTS of room to brake. Otherwise, not so much.

You tow something that weighs more than the tow vehicle, best have brakes on it. Also, a Ranger is narrow and that contributes to instability.

By comparison, a friend flat-towed his early Bronco with his full-sized 4x4 Dodge, and we barely notice it back there.

My 97 has better front brakes & larger rear drums than the 88 listed in your profile, and braking isn't all that great compared to my car, even with the truck empty. Same problem as driving on snow.... getting moving isn't so much the problem, but coming to a stop often is.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Seems you asked for opinions... people have given them.

I would suggest you go rent a dolly and try pulling an equivalent vehicle near home. Get to highway speeds and then try a panic stop... then form your own opinion.

Before this gets out of hand... I feel it's time to just shut it down.... good luck.

I just want to share with the members here a private message I received from @don4331 . I forgot to mention the legalities and at the end of the day that is exactly why I closed this thread. I'm also going to include a link to the Tech Library that outlines some towing information that would been helpful in this situation. I doing this to give this thread a proper closure and help anyone in the future that may have a similar question and is looking for answers....

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Here is the post...

IMNSHO :D, you've been over zealous in locking down the towing thread.

The answer for the OP is: Due to liability reasons, therangerstation will not endorse exceeding manufacturer limits for GCWR/GVWR.
As noted from other posts, Ford's limit for 2.9/manual/4x4 would be <3,400 lbs. (limit for the '91 4.0/manual/4x4, which was the best I could find online - Ford's brochure) as 2.9 makes less power*.
The empty weight of the dolly is ~750 lbs. per U-Haul's site.
The OP has reduced his maximum by installing larger than stock tires (they add weight).
Driver, anything else in cab/box, any options, etc. count against the limit - which is why SAE came up with J2807 - manufacturers, now need to include driver (but only of 150 lbs., any options found in 30% of production - e.g. A/C, power windows, etc.) So, the limit is now at least possible vs the pre-J2807 spec, i.e. '88 limit, which you had to deduct at least a couple hundred pounds from.
So, the limit would be <2,500lbs for legal purposes based on OP's information, which is why we won't endorse towing 3,300 lbs. on the forum.

Now, the reason for my issue with locking down the thread:

U-Haul and all the other vendors which I have rented from HAVE surge brakes in their dolly's. I wanted to correct our colleague's incorrect entries (There's enough misinformation on web, therangerstation doesn't need to add to it).
In many places, trailers over 1,500lbs/>40% of towing vehicle weight require trailer brakes and to have equipment which wouldn't be legal would put U-Haul (or other renter) in bad place for liability. So, it is prudent for a company renting trailers (dolly being just a very specific type of trailer) to put some kind of braking on all trailers which would exceed that limit.
Companies renting trailers historically renting trailers needed to use surge brakes as one couldn't count on towing vehicle having wiring for electric brakes. Because of the use of surge brakes, it means the trailer can't be backed up - huge PIA when you want to maneuver the trailer into its final location.

My 2 bits to start 2021 off with.

Now for the Tech Library article...

Towing Trailers – The Ranger Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals