• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing A Ranger With A Ranger

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So my friend has a '95 Ranger 4.0L 4wd with a shot rear axle. He has it parked at his college, and changing a rear axle in a parking lot would probably not be the best idea. I wanted to see if my '97 Ranger 2.3 could pull it? I'm a bit nervous about doing it since it would require pulling it through the mountains, but I have pulled an '88 F150 with my Ranger before without too much issues.

Any responses are greatly appreciated

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to include I do have 4.10 gears in my Ranger

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd change the axle in the parking lot (and I actually have*).

Define shot rear axle better for us.

The good news - after you drop the rear drive shaft you and probably maneuver it a bit as a front wheel drive.

A trailer able to haul a Ranger with all 4 wheels off ground is probably 2k lbs, your buddies Ranger will weigh 3,500lbs. Add you/your buddy/some gear and your pushing limits of my 4.0 s/c, significantly over your 2.3...

Replacing axle is - jack it up, place stands, disconnect the parking brakes, the hydraulic brake line, the drive shaft and the u-bolts. Roll out old, roll in new. Reverse disassembly + bleed brakes.

Now, I have 18v Dewalt impact that makes quick work of the u-bolts, but the only challenging part I have had was disconnecting the brake lines, but I let it soak in PB Blaster for a day before I started and got a line wrench so I didn't round the connector.

*I did a lot of car repairs both on my own vehicle and friends in parking lot at University. Cops never gave me any trouble - it was quite obvious nothing was being stolen.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can pull it just not sure you should.

How will you be towing it?
Car dolly on rear wheels to tow it backwards, very tail heavy

Car trailer, just heavy all over :)

The 1995 Ranger 4.0l 4x4 will be an extended cab so will be 3,200lbs at least

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I were to tow it, I would use a tow dolly. Only thing I have access to for free.

Don4331 You did a rear axle in a University parking lot with no problems? It's not that I don't know how to change the rear end out since I've done it twice, but I would be concerned about the campus police getting pissy.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Towing Ranger backwards is dicey. There's nothing to lock the steering (besides the pin in steering column and that isn't real strong). If your buddy's Ranger decides to start steering itself it gets ugly.

Rear axle, transaxle, couple CV shafts, u-joints in driveshaft, generator in VeeDub, power steering pump. Probably a few more I have forgotten.

If you've done it before and know what your doing, you're probably on re-assembly before they show up. Just don't be doing it at 3am...

D4N63R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You can pull it but you shouldn't. Same with the F150 you towed. Do you hate your truck? You don't have nearly the anchor weight needed to control that amount of weight if it decides to misbehave

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
May be tow it someplace closer, off campus.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals