• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing a car with a B4000

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
Not the right section but I need the traffic, move it if you want.

So my girlfriends taurus is stuck in colorado springs due to stupid circumstances.

I have a 1994 B4000. Not in the best condition. However the engine runs strong. I pulled a bumper pull with a mower and grossed 7K+ and had no problem pulling 60 on gravel roads that were not flat by any means. It only has a ball on the bumper but I hooked an 8K pound JD baler to the bumper to move it around and it was not visibly flexing so should be sufficient (easily 1k+ tongue weight on that heavy bitch).

It has a rebuilt transmission, newer clutch, new slave and master at the same time. I will rebuild the rear brakes before i leave and inspect the front wheel bearings, change oil and trans fluid, and flush coolant system and install new radiator since mine leaks. The rear leaf spring hangars and shackles and bushings were all replaced so thats taken care of.

The only problem is 3.27 gears, so it's hard to get the weight moving, but I have a lot of experience driving class 8 (90k+ gross corn) and I've grossed 30K+ multiple times with a 2500 Ram cummins, so I am experienced with heavy loads. I have newer tires and a good (oldish) spare I can borrow a half-ton but I really would like to take my pickup on some mountain roads it should be very capable as-is.

It seems completely reasonable to attempt this. 900ish miles round trip but only towing on the way back. I would like to use a uhaul trailer as they can be backed up and I have no dolly experience. Would not be opposed to using a dolly its only $24 less. I'm well aware im 2k lbs past what the manual says, but thats nothing new for me. If anyone who's attempted something like this has some insight for me that'd be great.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will need a real hitch. The bumper is only rated for around 2k.

I would just drive out there empty, rent a dolly one you get there and then come back, it would be lighter and easier on the truck too.

Something wrong with the car? Might be cheaper to just fly out, take a taxi to car and drive it back.

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I wouldn't trust the bumper for anything over a few hundred pounds. The older trucks have stronger bumpers but is it worth losing a trailer with your girls car on it? Once it breaks, it breaks. Not to mention the damage it is going to do to traffic behind you. I would say you have been lucky towing all the weight around on the bumper. If you did go that route and lets say your trailer does come flying off your truck then you could go to jail, get manslaughter charges, untold damages. I'd get a hitch for your truck or borrow a truck. Not worth the risk. Around the farm is one thing but once you start adding mountains and the safety of others on the road then you are asking to be called a dumbass. No offense. Just saying. Be smart.

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
Renting something there was the plan. It was $150 round trip in a 2012 1500 when i picked her up so I dont want to waste any extra gas. If I had my own dolly it would go in the bed for the way there anyways.

I'm a certified welder and I've built a lot of stuff, the bumper looks stout enough. I know the rating is 2k lbs, gonna do some testing to see if it is stout enough. If I were to lose the car though that would be more of a positive then negative its a real POS.

I live in Kansas so its a 6 hour drive for me, not a lot of elevation change except in springs. It's at least $150 for both of us to go there (at her sisters house) and that bus that goes there is always packed. If my Dodge was not inoperable I wouldn't be opposed to dragging a gooseneck down there but that's not an option right now.

So if I cant break the bumper off with a skid steer it should be good to go. I can always bolt a chain to the frame for extra reassurance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look at the prices of the same Taurus on craigslist where it is and then on craigslist where YOU are

Sell the Taurus where it is, add the cost of towing it cross country, and buy one near home

Way easier to transport $$ than vehicles

If its broken down then FOR SURE sell it for what you can get :)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Can you not just stop by a pick-n-pull junkyard and snag a receiver hitch? Even if there's not one local to you now, surely there's one along the way. I bet you could pick one up complete with hardware and in good shape for well under $50. The last one I got for my Explorer was like new and cost me $11!

MUCH safer than the bumper. The problem I have with towing with a ball on the bumper is that the bolts are attached through slots so that the bumper can be lined up with the body... I have tweaked enough factory bumpers just by jacking the vehicle up!

Bottom line, could you? Probably. Should you? No. Why would you when you can pick up a hitch for next to nothing?

Also, my preference would be a car dolly in this situation simply because you gain at least 1000lbs with a car trailer. I've towed my 20' car trailer with a V8 swapped Ranger and even that was not super fun.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
you've already made up your mind to do it so I'm not really sure what info you're looking for. It's dangerous, a liability, and in most states illegal.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Renting something there was the plan. It was $150 round trip in a 2012 1500 when i picked her up so I dont want to waste any extra gas. If I had my own dolly it would go in the bed for the way there anyways.

I'm a certified welder and I've built a lot of stuff, the bumper looks stout enough. I know the rating is 2k lbs, gonna do some testing to see if it is stout enough. If I were to lose the car though that would be more of a positive then negative its a real POS.

I live in Kansas so its a 6 hour drive for me, not a lot of elevation change except in springs. It's at least $150 for both of us to go there (at her sisters house) and that bus that goes there is always packed. If my Dodge was not inoperable I wouldn't be opposed to dragging a gooseneck down there but that's not an option right now.

So if I cant break the bumper off with a skid steer it should be good to go. I can always bolt a chain to the frame for extra reassurance.
There are better ways to dispose of a car than launching it into oncoming traffic.

The bumper brackets are designed to deform in a rear end collision hence the low rating, they are not designed to be strong. That aside for most trucks (probably not as bad for a 2wd) the bumper is really too high for towing.

Look at the prices of the same Taurus on craigslist where it is and then on craigslist where YOU are

Sell the Taurus where it is, add the cost of towing it cross country, and buy one near home

Way easier to transport $$ than vehicles

If its broken down then FOR SURE sell it for what you can get :)
Very valid point.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A hitch at a local uhaul for a ranger is right around 100 bucks. And it takes 4 bolts to install. 100 is a hell of a lot cheaper than shearing the ball out of the bumper and having the car pass you on the highway

From all of us here. Don’t be stupid. Do it the right way. Lives are worth more than a few hundred dollars to be safe.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I wouldnt be scared to haul a taurus ON A DOLLY off the bumper, no way in hell id do it on a trailer, honestly, wouldnt e ven attempt it with less then a 1/2 ton. Aint you got a buddy with a 1/2 ton you could use? Or hell U haul will rent 1/2 ton trucks and Econolines, either would handle it much better and safer then a RBV

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
I could tow it back on a 35 ft gooseneck if I wanted. I did notice the bolts that hold the plate onto the bumper had a good bit of corrosion, was going to replace those with some good grade 8 bolts as well.

I’m not about to have a pissing match over this, everyone’s opinion has been stated. I could just grab some steel tomorrow and build a bumper with receiver. Have not decided on a solution yet, but at bare minimum I’m bolting a chain to the frame for the safety chains.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My class 5 hitch attaches to my frame using the same bolts my bumper does (although they were upgraded to 1/2" grade 8). The bumper rating is not about the ability of the bumper bolts to hod the weight, it is about the bumper itself, so chuck your chain idea in the dust bin. Or at least plate and reinforce the bumper where the ball mounts and again where that piece attaches to the rest of it.

Your truck can totally tow that car, especially on a dolly, but do not try it on the bumper.

I have hauled lots of "over weight" stuff in my Ranger, including another Ranger, a Cirrus (roughly the same weight as a Taurus) and about 3/4" cord of wood. The wood broke my clutch. The rest of the stuff it handled like a champ. And the Cirrus was towed after I did the damage to the clutch, but before I found it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have enough truck. Nevermind all this bullshit and go get her car back.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You've towed heavy loads before. Have you towed thru mountains? Brakes are what I would worry about going downhill. Use your gears and don't go to a higher gear going down than what you could get to when going up. Do dollies have brakes?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
:dunno:

i flat towed my 73 challenger around on the bumper with a 2.9 and 410 gears and fail o matic. was more comfortable once the reece was on.

the 327 gears are the bad thing....and you know what your doing. beef up the hitch like you plan too or buy a reece and go get it....

i would be more concerned with frame rot between the front hangers and shackles then the bumper mount.

if you can borrow smaller tires with a higher or equal load range i would consider it. depending on options these are rated up to 5900 iirc.

just needed 373 or deeper gears and giant cooler on failomatic.

u haul wont "recommend" towing a dolly or car hauler with a ranger and i mean any ranger last i checked.... and depending on age wont allow it.

i pulled in with my rig

and they were...

:icon_confused::icon_confused::icon_confused:

they did a special inspection thing and a waiver...what would have been 60 bux ended up costing me 200 and some change. but they let me have the dolly for four days. it was a one way trip and i was fawked for time...they were going to make me rent a truck. but that particular place was a shop/maintenance center in detroit. where your going they may be nicer about it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals