• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow hitch that mounts further back

dccarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello all, I have a 2000 ranger.

Back of my frame has a bit of damage from previous owner, my bumper is bolted in but it took some shimming with washers and it's not perfect. Frame is fine and straight back a foot or so from the end.

I was wondering if there was a tow hitch that bolts in further back (in the good area of my frame) rather than where the bumper bolts in right at the back.

It's only a 2.5 Ranger but it actually tows fairly well, I tow my Boston Whaler 13 , wood runabout, and 4x8 trailer around with it all the time. Just figured I should upgrade to a real hitch rather than bumper ball towing.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
But then the ball would be under the bumper? Or you would have a hitch that mounted up front, but had a lot of metal hanging in the air in the back where all the weight and strain from the trailer is on it. Don't think you will find one.

Why don't you get under there and eyeball it, and find some large trees and a come-along and some chain and see if you can straighten it enough for a regular hitch to fit up. The frames are not made of much and usually bend easier than you think. Take your bumper off of course.

If you are not up to it, I wonder what a body shop would charge to get it back in shape?

Option 3; Go to the junkyard and cut the back section off a ranger frame and splice it in after you cut yours off. I had a f150 that was rusted pretty bad back there. I went to the junkyard and cut the frame off, they charged me $50 for it. I then cut the bottom of the new frame off, turning it from a "C" to a "L". The "L" then slipped right up into the old damaged frame, doubling it up and making it stronger. It was rusted near the frame hanger rivets and crossmember bracket rivets, so when I took the rivets out, I used bolts to bolt the brackets back on, and ran the bolts through the new "L" piece and the old original frame. There where so many bolts going through it, I didn't even weld it, they were plenty enough to hold it in place and make the frame strong. When I painted it afterward, you had to look really hard to even see it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I think all the receiver hitches attach right at the rear of the frame, at least on Rangers. Usually only 2 bolts and a fairly small receiver hitch. I know the one on my 87 Ranger attaches in the same spot the bumper mounts, talk about a fun install trying to keep both the bumper and receiver hitch aligned to get the bolts installed, wasn't too bad using a mower lift, but would be much easier with 2 people...but it mounts right to the back of the frame. Weird because the receiver hitch on my bronco 2 attaches just slightly further back on the frame by maybe 2 inches and doesn't require bumper removal to install.

The 2 receiver hitches aren't the same width either. The Bronco 2's receiver hitch is about 5 or 6 inches wider than the Ranger's, due to the fuel tank location in the Bronco 2. Might be an option though if you have a way to cut it down and shorten the width of the receiver to fit the Ranger frame. Probably have to drill new holes in the frame though, which isn't too hard to do with good drill bits.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals