• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow hitch Installed

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Trailer hitches help you tow a trailer better.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hek, I bought a tow package once and didn't even know it! While browsing through the local pick N pay noticed a receiver ball hitch still in a receiver, the pin was "locked" in with a bent nail. I "freed" it and tossed it in my "shopping" bag, hahaha

Had quite a list of things going out the door, it was a 50% off weekend, paid the ticket and went on. Looked at the ticket a bit closer that night and they'd charged me $20 for that ball hitch(cannot recall their actual name, altho I once studied into proper terminology for the entire package to find it) when Wmart sells them new for that!

The more I studied the more I realized they'd charged me for a whole tow hitch. I was back the next day also, and knowing they don't give refunds asked instead if I could also have the other "half" of the package, to which they agreed.

A few heavy wrenches, sockets, ratchets, cheater pipes, fancy language, and an hour later I was lugging the half ton or so of iron out of there on my shoulder, hahaha, I'm not sure how much it weighed but that was sure a long walk.

One thing about the main hitch body, at least the older ones, are made with a solid tube iron going end to end

romcjr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 & 2019
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Engine Size
4.0l V6 & 2.3L ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75r/16
Nice. so you get the strength of the factory set-up & the strength of the aftermarket Curt hitch.

What did you do in regard to wiring for the trailer?

Here's a nice write up on updating to the Factory set-up: Trucks w/o Tow Package?
There is a four wire connector already in place for the trailer lights . :cool:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know about you but I also consider the rear end collision into mix with my 4x4 models. With a hitch there is a stronger structural point in the center of the bumper area to help prevent further damage.

This is very true.

I have been involved in two accidents that would have been much worse if not for receiver hitches.

The fist one I was the offending vehicle. The brakes on my 78 Old were very touchy, even worse if I was low on fuel. One day traffic went from accelerating to stopped in the time it took me to move my foot over. I slid from about 25-30 MPH into the drop bar of the S-10 blazer in front of me. Only damage on either vehicle was a mark the shape of his bar in the rubber trim on my bumper.

Then last summer I was leaving the mall with my B2, dipstick behind me in a Cobalt wasn't paying attention and smacked me at a stop sign to leave the mall. I had no damage, he had an e'ffed bumper cover, bent out like bat wings and all, with a 1.5 inch square in the middle of it where he hit my class 1 tube.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals