Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
Give me money.
Trailer hitches help you tow a trailer better.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hek, I bought a tow package once and didn't even know it! While browsing through the local pick N pay noticed a receiver ball hitch still in a receiver, the pin was "locked" in with a bent nail. I "freed" it and tossed it in my "shopping" bag, hahaha

Had quite a list of things going out the door, it was a 50% off weekend, paid the ticket and went on. Looked at the ticket a bit closer that night and they'd charged me $20 for that ball hitch(cannot recall their actual name, altho I once studied into proper terminology for the entire package to find it) when Wmart sells them new for that!

The more I studied the more I realized they'd charged me for a whole tow hitch. I was back the next day also, and knowing they don't give refunds asked instead if I could also have the other "half" of the package, to which they agreed.

A few heavy wrenches, sockets, ratchets, cheater pipes, fancy language, and an hour later I was lugging the half ton or so of iron out of there on my shoulder, hahaha, I'm not sure how much it weighed but that was sure a long walk.

One thing about the main hitch body, at least the older ones, are made with a solid tube iron going end to end

romcjr

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 & 2019
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Engine Size
4.0l V6 & 2.3L ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75r/16
Nice. so you get the strength of the factory set-up & the strength of the aftermarket Curt hitch.

What did you do in regard to wiring for the trailer?

Here's a nice write up on updating to the Factory set-up: Trucks w/o Tow Package?
There is a four wire connector already in place for the trailer lights . :cool:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know about you but I also consider the rear end collision into mix with my 4x4 models. With a hitch there is a stronger structural point in the center of the bumper area to help prevent further damage.

This is very true.

I have been involved in two accidents that would have been much worse if not for receiver hitches.

The fist one I was the offending vehicle. The brakes on my 78 Old were very touchy, even worse if I was low on fuel. One day traffic went from accelerating to stopped in the time it took me to move my foot over. I slid from about 25-30 MPH into the drop bar of the S-10 blazer in front of me. Only damage on either vehicle was a mark the shape of his bar in the rubber trim on my bumper.

Then last summer I was leaving the mall with my B2, dipstick behind me in a Cobalt wasn't paying attention and smacked me at a stop sign to leave the mall. I had no damage, he had an e'ffed bumper cover, bent out like bat wings and all, with a 1.5 inch square in the middle of it where he hit my class 1 tube.