• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow hitch for off-road recovery/snatch straps

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
They do have a front winch/non winch bumper for the BII... and I can't imagine that the rear bumper couldn't be fitted with a set of new mounting brackets.
Hmm, what company are those bumpers on the Ranger from? The rear tire carrier doesn't attach to the bumper, only the rear quarter panel and rear hatch, 2 horrible mounting locations LOL. I haven't really found anything as of yet that would work. Wonder what a fab shop would charge to build something because that tire carrier is going to rip the rear hatch and quarter panel apart.

timmyflew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Minor T Bar Crank, Stock Rear
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
So did anyone end up finding information about a front hitch receiver. Curt advertises one but can't find much info on it. I am also wondering if one can be fabricated to use the connection points on my factory front recovery loops.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I ended up installing a Reese 65017 on the front of my 94. I removed the air dam piece for now. It fits pretty high and flush, doesn’t hang down or look too bad. I will post a picture once I’m back at the house.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
So did anyone end up finding information about a front hitch receiver. Curt advertises one but can't find much info on it. I am also wondering if one can be fabricated to use the connection points on my factory front recovery loops.View attachment 45657
If Curt advertises one for your truck and it's what your looking for id just get it. If it doesn't fit for whatever reason you'd get your money back and they'd probably even provide you with a return shipping label at their expense.

The lack of information on them im sure stems from the fact (assumption, really) that people who buy front receivers are 70 year old RV'ers that don't know how to internet.

As for getting one custom fabbed, nearly anything can be made to work with enough money.

timmyflew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Thanks for the replies so far. I had someone direct me to pictures of the one Curt offers and that will be a no go. The Curt one mounts pretty much under the bumper. It also appears it would not work with my factory skid plate. Just wanted to share that for anyone else wondering. Looks like fabrication is the best bet for me.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The only place that I know that sells one is etrailer. It night be the very one you are talking about though.

I’m holding out for an Affordable Off Road bumper instead.

timmyflew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
The only place that I know that sells one is etrailer. It night be the very one you are talking about though.

I’m holding out for an Affordable Off Road bumper instead.
Ordered the Affordable Offroad Bumper last night. Just finished taking off the bumper and the OEM stainless tow hooks. I'll post some pics and let everyone know how the AO bumper works out. I'm going to sell the tow hooks to get some money back.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> just push the recovery strap loop in the receiver and put the largest diameter hardened bolt I can get though the receiver holes and strap loop.

Ditto.

I have never seen or know of anyone that has broken the 5/8" pin in a receiver when using an inserted strap.

Usually on the front and rear of my 4x4 I have 2" ball pintle hooks flat mounted (no receiver). Now, when I do tree work (same set up on my larger 4x4) I do not use the ball for the strap, rope, or cable. I use them to prevent the cable from being pulled off, the main stress is on the bottom of the cast iron pintle. I have broken sch 70/80? alloy transport chain using my 7600# 4x4, so, I kind of doubt the ball can easily be broken off using a Ranger/B2/Explorer. I think mine have 1 1/8" shanks.

If you put just tow hooks on the frame of the B2 you can easily bend and rip the flange, I have fixed that from people that did not know better. A receiver hitch front and back, backed up by plates (not just nuts and washers) is a great option. What I have done when using just hooks is run a tube right to left connecting them both, basically boxing the frame.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The problem with using a ball is when people shock load them trying to pull someone out.

Just pulling with a steady load isn’t getting the job done. So they get a good run to get that extra jolt. That’s when ball hitches snap and become projectiles. That reason is why people just plain advise against using a ball hitch as a recovery point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals