• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow hitch for off-road recovery/snatch straps

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Hey all!

I’ve been looking around and found a few 2” class III receiver setups that would fit in my 94 ranger. I’m sure these would work as well as any for off-road recovery/hits on a snatch strap.

What are folks out there using for this application?

Thanks!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Some use just the pin to hold a draw bar in the receiver for a recovery point. Others get a draw bar with a shackle or a hole for using soft shackles.

I would stay away from open hook style draw bars since there is nothing to retain the strap from coming off the hook and positive retention is a very good thing. They work but aren't the best option.

Whatever you do, do not use a standard ball hitch as a recovery point. Trailer hitch balls are not designed for that kind of load and if it breaks, it becomes a projectile that hurt or kill someone.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Some use just the pin to hold a draw bar in the receiver for a recovery point. Others get a draw bar with a shackle or a hole for using soft shackles.

I would stay away from open hook style draw bars since there is nothing to retain the strap from coming off the hook and positive retention is a very good thing. They work but aren't the best option.

Whatever you do, do not use a standard ball hitch as a recovery point. Trailer hitch balls are not designed for that kind of load and if it breaks, it becomes a projectile that hurt or kill someone.
Thanks for the info Sgt!

Yes, I will definitely be acquiring a shackle type hitch to put in the receiver in the rear. Ball type hitches are certainly a real bad choice for off-road recovery.

I was more interested in what model or brand of receiver system guys are using, my Ranger currently has no receiver installed.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just push the recovery strap loop in the receiver and put the largest diameter hardened bolt I can get though the receiver holes and strap loop. That works great and I don't have to carry an extra item. The receiver drags enough without something else hanging out of it.

My receiver is a Round Tube Hidden Hitch. I don't know if the Round Tube is available any more but I have had two different styles of Hidden Hitch receivers and liked them both. They got a lot of use and abuse too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Whatever brand class 3 receiver hitch you want to buy will work just fine. The trouble is which ones are made to tuck up nicely under the truck and not hang several inches below the bumper to get hung up on everything....one thing I'd suggest, go to a pick a part yard and look around at the receiver hitches on Rangers there, find one you like and pull it. I paid $20 for the receiver hitch for my Bronco 2. Sure beats $150-200+ for a new one for a 20+ year old truck. If it hasn't been damaged in an accident it'll be fine for your use.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Not a bad idea wildbill. I’ll have to do a little snooping around. I think I’m looking to put a front and rear receiver hitch just in case.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
While not the cheapest option... I think it's the coolest one. Probably set you back a grand... but I don't regret buying them a bit. Another 180 bucks will get you the front skid plate also.
GUMPS_LF.jpg
GUMPS_RR.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not a bad idea wildbill. I’ll have to do a little snooping around. I think I’m looking to put a front and rear receiver hitch just in case.
I’ve had Curt and Reese and they have both been good. I never had an aftermarket on a Ranger, let alone one your year. Factory seems the best option to make sure it hugs up on the bumper the best.

I can’t remember the brand but etrailer sells a front hitch for Rangers. They might not be the best price but it will give a manufacturer and a part number to do some searching.

As posted above, an off road bumper with shackle mounts is the best option but it might not be in the budget. Affordable Off Road seems to be the best deal out there and is linked via the TRS Store. It might throw Jim Oaks a couple bucks if you use his link to buy one.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
While not the cheapest option... I think it's the coolest one. Probably set you back a grand... but I don't regret buying them a bit. Another 180 bucks will get you the front skid plate also.View attachment 44257View attachment 44256
Those bumpers look great, too bad there's absolutely no aftermarket for the Bronco 2's :(. I'd love to get some aftermarket bumpers for my Bronco 2, especially a rear one to get that noisy rattling spare tire carrier off the rear quarter panel and liftgate.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I don’t waste my time with with hooks, shackles, etc...

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This guy uses a pintle hitch.

He also uses a triple ball tow hitch.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A grand for BOTH or each end? Who's the manufacturer on those?
I'm not exactly sure of the current pricing... or exactly what I paid. But a grand for BOTH. I did have them build my rear bumper from 3/16" stock vs the base bumper which is 1/8"... a bit heavier... but it is pretty stout and will accept a tire carrier better with less flex. I did buy the skid plate too... not on yet... but it really protects the lower radiator.

I see now they have rock sliders... they replace the rockers... weld on. Not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on those just yet.

In my humble opinion... these guys do great work and you won't be disappointed in what you receive. The TRS store has a front bumper listed. Buying through TRS doesn't cost any more... but it helps the site maintain itself. But to see their other offerings... Google... Affordable Off Road.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm not exactly sure of the current pricing... or exactly what I paid. But a grand for BOTH. I did have them build my rear bumper from 3/16" stock vs the base bumper which is 1/8"... a bit heavier... but it is pretty stout and will accept a tire carrier better with less flex. I did buy the skid plate too... not on yet... but it really protects the lower radiator.

I see now they have rock sliders... they replace the rockers... weld on. Not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on those just yet.

In my humble opinion... these guys do great work and you won't be disappointed in what you receive. The TRS store has a front bumper listed. Buying through TRS doesn't cost any more... but it helps the site maintain itself. But to see their other offerings... Google... Affordable Off Road.
Awesome thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Those bumpers look great, too bad there's absolutely no aftermarket for the Bronco 2's :(. I'd love to get some aftermarket bumpers for my Bronco 2, especially a rear one to get that noisy rattling spare tire carrier off the rear quarter panel and liftgate.
They do have a front winch/non winch bumper for the BII... and I can't imagine that the rear bumper couldn't be fitted with a set of new mounting brackets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals