• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow dolly transport

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That never once crossed my mind! Even tho I saw a man in middle of a busy intersection working under his vehicle. Stopped ask asked if I could be any help, and he explained he was setting it uo to drive home with his front drive axle.

At least once, maybe twice I have been stranded some way and it did not occur to me to do that! That's ADHD in bold, capital letters!
Are you sure that wasn’t me you saw? :icon_rofl:

Not too long ago I snapped the U-joint cross in my F-150. Right in a busy intersection, nearing rush hour, in the city. I had debating bringing an impact but was trying to keep what I took to a minimum. My 12 point wrench became a horseshoe when I tried to get the driveshaft bolts out. Since the joint that didn’t shatter was one I had replaced, I popped the u-joint clips out and knocked the joint out. Right in the middle of the street with a loaded trailer. Cussing like a sailor the whole time. Locked the hubs in and limped 30 miles home on the front.

The problem with driving on the front axle is that the rear driveshaft must be completely removed. If it’s still connected to either the axle or the T-case, it will still spin. If you’re loading the front on a tow dolly, then load it up, pop the driveshaft off the rear axle and tie it up out of the way. That way the rear axle spins, but since the driveshaft isn’t connected, nothing else spins. If you would say, load it on a car dolly and disconnect the driveshaft from the transfer case and tie it up, the rear axle is going to try to spin the driveshaft and damage things. I made that mistake once and let me tell you, that can cause a LOT of damage in a hurry. Thankfully it was a truck that was going to become a trailer project so it wasn’t the end of the world, but it even put dents in the frame rails on a box truck. So you just have to be aware of what is going to spin and what isn’t.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I try to treat anyone as if they are my neighbor, and you really can't never tell.

There was a time when I got around about as much as anybody, and I had a cousin who did too.
There was more than just a handful who met us both at different times and different places

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> Problem is that when I enter that info and the Bronco as the trailered vehicle their calculator won't allow me to go further in the rental.

I towed a B2 that I bought, on a U-Haul trailer from SC to Atlanta. The current one I am driving I towed on a U-Haul trailer back to my house inside GA about 70 miles. That combination (Uhaul trailer + B2) is WAY too much for any Explorer, imho.

"Empty weight: 2,210 lbs"

plus 3700# (I don't think any 4x4 B2 I had was even close to 3500# on the scales) = 5,910. I know from seeing my 4x4 E-250 sit down in the back that the tongue weight was probably at least 700#.

If it was me, I would buy a used chintzy SMALL car trailer that weighed 1200# and was low to the ground and tow with that if I was towing with a 2011 Explorer. Lose 1,000# in trailer weight and seriously lower the center of gravity while you are towing the shed on 4 wheels down the highway.

You will have to bungee cord the steering wheel to both doors (left and right cord) if you want the steering wheel to return to center using a tow bar. Those Harbor Fright tow bars work okay and that might be the best way to go, just do not even think about backing up or making tight turns.

z-bronco2_20201004_172936.jpg

Though if I had a choice, I would 100% go with a tow dolly with surge brakes using the 2011 Explorer, as I think that is the best compromise, stability wise and being able to control sway and braking.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
> Problem is that when I enter that info and the Bronco as the trailered vehicle their calculator won't allow me to go further in the rental.

It does that every time you enter an incorrect answer, or an unacceptable answer

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The "reply" feature is goofing up some how

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals