• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Toshiba Rant

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I can't feaking believe this!

I buy the Winderz 7 family pack upgrade. The install was a pain to get a clean install and get the product key to work.

BUT! I finally get all that worked out and decide to update all the drivers. I go to Toshiba's website and download the latest updates. The first one is a BIOS Flash.

I read the change log (yes, some of us actually do that), one thing that caught my eye was this:
Version 1.60 - 2007-10-06

* Changed the logo.
* A workaround was implemented to prevent a password from automatically being set by the computer.
You'll notice that the second part in 2007 fixed the system from setting an arbitrary password.

Guess what, first reboot after the flash and now it wants a freaking password. Their solution? Take it to an authorized Toshiba Dealer to get if fixed for free, until December 10, 2010.

That is absolutely unacceptable, they left a KNOWN bad BIOS flash on their website and now limit the time frame to have it resolved.

I for one will NEVER buy another Toshiba product because of this incident.

SJ

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can't just unplug it and take the battery out for a few days for it to reset? Or open it up and like cross a jumper or something? Been a long time since I dealt with $oft based machines... Seems like there has to be an easy way to erase that password

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You can't just unplug it and take the battery out for a few days for it to reset? Or open it up and like cross a jumper or something? Been a long time since I dealt with $oft based machines... Seems like there has to be an easy way to erase that password
No, it's a Laptop so MoBo access is very limited. Most MoBos you can just set a jumper to bypass it.

I've done the google research, there is nothing for this laptop other than taking it to an authorized dealer. The up side is, it's about 5 years old so at least Toshiba is offering a solution. The down side is, Toshiba broke it with an update they have on their website and the fix has an expiration date.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i never update my bios, to much can go wrong. wont even consider doing it at all on a machine without a floppy drive to do a recovery flash.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals