• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsion stock setting question

h368

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a stock 03 FX4 that has a huge difference in the torsion bar adjustment bolts. Drivers side is well inside the guard and the other is 3/4" beyond the guard, waiting to get bent... Is this a normal factory setting? Yes, it sits level.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That is pretty normal for the torsion bar adjustment bolts. The position of the adjustment bolt is not an indicator of correct adjustment. There is a procedure for measuring the suspension and specification of those measurements to get the adjustment right.

h368

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Is the adjustment info available outside of a factory service manual? I bought longer shocks with the intention of doing a torsion bar lift/ level. The bolts seemed so different that I wasn't confident that it was a good starting point to count turns from. I;ll verify the stock setting if I can locate the info on the process.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
You didn't by any chance buy the rancho extended shocks did you?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
yes, RS5374
My set of extended rancho's( same part number) were junk. I just replaced them with kyb gas-a-just last weekend. The rancho's had 18,000 miles on them and they both were completely blew out. I could here metal rattling around in them. I am trying to get a warranty claim on them now. I am pissed about it. They rarely saw any gravel roads. Just beware they might last and might not last. You have a 50/50 shot. I added some spacers to the kyb to get some of my travel back.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
one of the bars may not be indexed properly. that will throw the bolts way off.
the way to measure factory ride height is actually the angle of the lower control arms.
draw a horizontal line thru the centers of the lower control arm bolts, then another line between the lower ball joints. the distance between those 2 lines is the factory ride height.
I think it's 4.5" I'll try to find the exact info, maybe someone else knows for certain.

do it with the stabilizer bar disconnected. then adjust the length of the end links to keep it all even.

h368

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the info. thanks. Even without an factory setting, I can check for consistency and have a good starting point. As for the Ranchos... I can still return them.... is anyone aware of another extended length shock to use? I did a fair amount of cross checking and wasnt able to find one. Id rather take a chance with the Rancho than use the extendo mount.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I looked around to find a replacement before I bought the kyb. I could not find any other extended shocks. I added some spacers to get around 3/4 of a inch drop out of kyb's. Worked out pretty well.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a stock 03 FX4 that has a huge difference in the torsion bar adjustment bolts. Drivers side is well inside the guard and the other is 3/4" beyond the guard, waiting to get bent... Is this a normal factory setting? Yes, it sits level.
...stock setting- Drivers side showing 8 threads...passenger side 14 threads. My torsion bars were both adjusted wrong. After searching the web...I was able to find the info needed. Set it to what another ranger owner posted. Worked perfect. Truck is sitting perfectly level on both sides.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My set of extended rancho's( same part number) were junk. I just replaced them with kyb gas-a-just last weekend. The rancho's had 18,000 miles on them and they both were completely blew out. I could here metal rattling around in them. I am trying to get a warranty claim on them now. I am pissed about it. They rarely saw any gravel roads. Just beware they might last and might not last. You have a 50/50 shot. I added some spacers to the kyb to get some of my travel back.
I bought some Rancho rs5000x shocks front and rear for my stock ride height Ranger. To be perfectly honest...I am not really impressed with them. Imo...they dont match the advertising hype.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Wulf suspension makes or sells extended travel shocks. Not sure they make them probably more like source them out. I have no experience with them though.

I just bought KYB mono max in stock length and plan to make a spacer when the time comes to put them on. I was a KYB dealer for years and of all the shocks I sold... I only had one returned.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I run Bilstein shocks that that are the same length as the original Bilsteins on my 02 FX4. I didn't want extended shocks because that lets the angle of the drive axles get out of spec. I want durability and set up things for that.
I set the front suspension to the max of the ford specification for new suspension components. That ended up being about 1.5 inches higher in the front than it came from the factory. I have almost 240K miles on it now and still have all the original suspension and front drive parts on it with the exception of the top ball joints and swing arms. The boots were deteriorating but the ball joints were not that bad. That was done at about 200K miles.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I set the front suspension to the max of the ford specification for new suspension components. That ended up being about 1.5 inches higher in the front than it came from the factory.
That's the number I was shooting for too... 1.5 inches. I wasn't sure if I would need spacers or not... seems now that I may not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals