• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

torsion keys

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, k&n box filter- this thing sucks... air
Transmission
Manual
i already have my torsion bars cranked to level the front end with the back. i was wondering if a set of torsion keys would give me anything over my current setup with the tb crank. also i need to know which is cheaper for the rear- bigger blocks, or helper springs?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yes, of course it will.

You will obtain a stiff as a board ride with no suspension down travel, worn out balljoints and CV's.

Anything above 2" of lift via a t bar crank is pushing it too much.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so if they are 3 inch torsion keys i would only gain like an inch over my current setup and a rougher ride? screw that! i guess ill just check out some helper springs for the rear so i can rais it up an inch or two, with a heavy load in the bed, it sags a little and looks like the front sits higher.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are a million threads on this forum alone about torsion keys. Simply put, they are crap. As Bob Ayers says, the only mod you're doing is the WWR mod. (Wallet Weight Reduction)

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well thanks guys. i always thought they sounded too good to be true. but anyways i took a look at my cv shafts and they dont look like they could handle much more of an angle without failing. i got the idea from an 08 ranger i saw in the readers rides section of petersons 4wheel and offroad. i always thought you had to have a severely modified ride to send it in to them. he only had a set of 265s under it.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a set of 265's under mine. They are bigger tires than you have, that's for sure. I have read other places that if they are used on Chevys they do raise it but they don't ride like crap and don't put the CV's at whack angles. How bad are your CV angles? Pics? As for the 08 you're talking about, got a link to the article?

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry if i offended you with the 265 thing, i was just sayin that the truck didnt have a lift kit or huge tires on it. wasnt sayin that 265s are tiny. theyre like an inch taller than mine but not quite as wide as a 10.50. my last set of tires were 265x75 r15 and they were smaller than my 31s. i dont wanna turn this into a tire measuring match. i could have easily have put 33s on mine but didnt feel i needed to. and with a body lift probably could fit 35s. my whole point with the magazine was i figured they would only put highly modified trucks in their mag. its in the october 09 issue. as for my cv shafts i could email a pic but i would have to take it tomorrow. maybe the angles not as bad as i think. i dont remember how it was before i cranked the tbars. by the way, nice ranger looke like its the same color as mine.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wasn't offended at all. 265/75R16's are 31.5x10.50. Usually you have to have 40k into something to get in there, I know what you mean. I'm just asking about CV's because you may have cranked too far. My CV's are almost completely level. Bright Atlantic Blue? That's what mine is. I love it.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so thats what that color is called. i went out with a flashlight and looked at my cv's. they have a slight angle. probably cranked them like a half inch further than you did. i read in another post where you said your wheel wells measure 36 inches. mine are right at 36 and your tires are half an inch taller. so your truck has 185k on it. mine is at almost 195k. motor still runs like it did when i bought it. hows yours run. my truck is the same color. in the pic on my avatar my truck was kinda dirty so you cant tell. its a shame they dont make em in that color anymore.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so thats what that color is called. i went out with a flashlight and looked at my cv's. they have a slight angle. probably cranked them like a half inch further than you did. i read in another post where you said your wheel wells measure 36 inches. mine are right at 36 and your tires are half an inch taller. so your truck has 185k on it. mine is at almost 195k. motor still runs like it did when i bought it. hows yours run. my truck is the same color. in the pic on my avatar my truck was kinda dirty so you cant tell. its a shame they dont make em in that color anymore.
Definately. There are two other BAB Rangers in my area. Mine also have a slight angle, can't do much about that. I cranked my drivers side torsion bar so that it sat level on both sides. As long as you don't have rediculous angles you'll be alright. I did head gaskets on mine at 174k. Runs good but not perfect, I won't get rid of it though. My main concern is the hairline crack in the frame. I may get another 98-00 4x4 ranger and do a body swap and keep everything but the frame for spare parts. I've put so much blood, sweat, and tears in this thing I don't want to get rid of it. I told myself i'd never get rid of my first vehicle so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully i'll be lucky enough to drive it til the day I die.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah man i love my ranger too. i havent done any major motor work, just plugs and wires. which im doin again today. shes due for em. been bout 75 k since i last changed em. doesnt burn any oil, just leaks a little at the passenger side valve cover.

shadow6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
shit.. wish i would have found this thread BEFORE i ordered 3" keys... At least the "kit" i got comes with shackles for the rear...

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
shit.. wish i would have found this thread BEFORE i ordered 3" keys... At least the "kit" i got comes with shackles for the rear...
Let me guess, truxxus or fat bobs?

Here's what's going to happen. I think the mods should put this picture in a sticky so you guys can see what it is that torsion keys do...

Do you see those horrible CV angles and stress on the ball joints. Send it back, get your money back.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im glad i never bought those. thats gotta be hell on those balljoints and cv shafts.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also offroad im sure it would do fine if you were wheelin in a straight line, but ive never been on a trail that didnt have turns. ill bet those cv shafts bind up when you turn with it in 4 wheel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals