• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsion bar breakage

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone ever have a torsion bar snap on them? Today I got to experience that. I was leaving work and not 1 second after I roll onto High Street do I hear the worst/loudest/scariest noise come from my truck immediately followed by truck diving to the left.

My driver's side torsion bar snapped. I've never seen this happen, especially in a light truck like a Ranger.

So, I push it back to the shop to take a look. My front suspension seems alright, nothing other than major articulation :fie:. The torsion bar snapped at the end that mounts on the frame. It turns out that the alignment shop I had align my truck recently maxed out, and I mean maxed out, the adjuster bolt on my driver's side to get camber in spec, on top of me already adjusting it 1.5" from stock. I never noticed it strangely enough (probably because they did both sides).

I'm ok, just kinda frazzled. I'm glad it happened within feet of the shop. Tomorrow I will put my spare torsion bar in and do the alignment myself (with the correct camber bolts). And then I'm going to have a talk with the shop, because I specifically asked them, along being in writing, to NOT adjust the torsion bars. I'm glad I wasn't on the highway where I could have killed someone.

Oy.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just for curiosity. Were you able to steer? Did it rub the tire? Did you loose control? (Of the truck.)

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was able to minimally steer...enough to prevent myself from going into the other lane. The tire absolutely rubbed, and I maintained enough control of the truck eventually to get to the side of the road. However, when it snapped I lost control for a second or two. It was really intense.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the broken bar.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
happened on my old maxda..

Skeleranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so they cranked em out even further??? thats scary as hell tho. coulda been real hectic kinda make me wonder about my tbars.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the shop cranked them further on top of my 1.5" crank. Not good. I still have the repair order with the detail to not touch the torsion bars on it. I'm going to bring it to them and see what they say.

Skeleranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
dang that sucks bro. hopefully they didnt break or hurt anything else. cant u get stronger tbars? mite help so it doesnt happen again, and they better fixed what they broke, they signed their name to the bill. If not sue em haha

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll do a more thorough inspection tomorrow. I'll probably just ask them to replace the parts and possibly my labor.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Snapped a torsion bar on a Ranger ?? Wow, never seen that. Happens all the time on the 97-03 F-150's.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Wow man, I am glad you are ok. I know your truck is not beaten on. Was this a possible defect in the bar?

:worthless:

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
ITomorrow I will put my spare torsion bar in and do the alignment myself (with the correct camber bolts). And then I'm going to have a talk with the shop, because I specifically asked them, along being in writing, to NOT adjust the torsion bars.
Call the shop first and don't touch anything until you have talked to them, if you replace the torsion bar they may say they have no way of knowing if that was the one in there or not and you just want to get a new set (one, I've never had to change them, I don't know if they come in sets like springs, or singular). Talk to them, tell them what happened, and see what they'll do for you there. They may pay for towing and repair it for no cost on your part since you did specify for them not to touch them. I do work in a shop, and deal with warranty issues every so often, and when we know someone has had their hands in there (either them, or another shop), its hard to tell if the failure of the part was because of our mistake or someone else's, a lot of these cases are cause for a voided warranty, unless its very straight forward. I'm just telling it from someone who works on the other side of the counter, and trying to save you some possible grief.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snapped a torsion bar on a Ranger ?? Wow, never seen that. Happens all the time on the 97-03 F-150's.
Yeah that's what I've heard as well. Quite odd, no?

Wow man, I am glad you are ok. I know your truck is not beaten on. Was this a possible defect in the bar?
Yeah me too. I'm glad no one got hurt most of all. I'm not sure how to inspect the broken bar...but there aren't any cracks on it running up or down.

Call the shop first and don't touch anything until you have talked to them, if you replace the torsion bar they may say they have no way of knowing if that was the one in there or not and you just want to get a new set (one, I've never had to change them, I don't know if they come in sets like springs, or singular). Talk to them, tell them what happened, and see what they'll do for you there. They may pay for towing and repair it for no cost on your part since you did specify for them not to touch them. I do work in a shop, and deal with warranty issues every so often, and when we know someone has had their hands in there (either them, or another shop), its hard to tell if the failure of the part was because of our mistake or someone else's, a lot of these cases are cause for a voided warranty, unless its very straight forward. I'm just telling it from someone who works on the other side of the counter, and trying to save you some possible grief.
I appreciate the input. I talked to the manager today before doing any repairs (I know him, not the guy who actually did my alignment), and he was very helpful. He was quite angry to hear that my adjuster bolts were turned up all the way and said he would talk to the guy. He also said to replace whatever parts needed replacing (since I work at a qualified shop) and he would refund me all costs and give me a free alignment done the right way. He even faxed me over the contract covering the above. All in all, he went way over my expectations and I'm quite happy.

That said, I need a new torsion bar, adjuster and bolts, upper control arm, and inner tie rod. I've got all of that on order and ready to be put in tomorrow.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
A picture of the two parts of the bar would be good. Did it shear like a bolt? Or was it a spiral break like an axle shaft?

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sheared like a bolt. I will try to get pics asap, providing that my boss didn't throw out the parts already (he has tendency to do that).

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
It sheared like a bolt. I will try to get pics asap, providing that my boss didn't throw out the parts already (he has tendency to do that).
If you work in a shop, how come you didn't do the alignment yourself?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals