• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsion Bar and Coil Spring Frame differences?

wlfpck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 2002 Ford Edge (so torsion bars) and was looking at lift kits and that lead into the coil spring conversion which lead into full prerunner builds. Then realizing the budget needed, so back to looking at spindle lifts. You guys know how it goes. :D

Anyways... had a couple quick questions more of as a curiosity thing. Is there a frame difference between the coil spring rangers versus the torsion bar rangers? Reason I ask is I was wondering if you would be able to use the coil spring lower control arm and gusset the shock mount on the torsion bar ranger to do a "OEM-ish" conversion. Or is the frame completely different with the shock mount (on torsion bar ranger) in a different location that the coilover mount? Basically would it be possible to convert from torision bar to coil over by using a coilover lower control arm and welding gussets to reinforce the shock mount.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
As far as Ive seen the frames are the same, just whats riveted to them. The torsion bar frame has torsion bar mounts under the cab, the coil spring trucks have a spring bucket. The torsion bar trucks also have an extra cross member at the front. I know for a fact my truck has the holes in the frame for the torsion bar mounts even though its coil. So it's not impossible to swap to coil spring if you have a donor truck.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the frames are very different. lower pivot spread is different as well as where they mount fore and aft. so looking at the lower arm the outer ball joint is positioned in a different location in comparison to the frame side pivots. one arm is like a V and the other is like |/

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
hope thats enough contradiction for ya!?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the big problem with lifting a torsion bar truck is the extreme angles forced upon the upper control arm/ball joint. modified spindles keep the control arm geometry
at workable angles.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the big problem with lifting a torsion bar truck is the extreme angles forced upon the upper control arm/ball joint. modified spindles keep the control arm geometry
at workable angles.
upper arms designed to be used with lift do that. i dont know ive seen anyone make a spindle that has the ball joint mount angled to accommodate. but maybe!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the frames are very different. lower pivot spread is different as well as where they mount fore and aft. so looking at the lower arm the outer ball joint is positioned in a different location in comparison to the frame side pivots. one arm is like a V and the other is like |/

kind of like this: scroll down to view the 2 control arms

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
upper arms designed to be used with lift do that. i dont know ive seen anyone make a spindle that has the ball joint mount angled to accommodate. but maybe!

I was thinking they moved the axle mount up or down to change height and kept the mounting the same.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I was thinking they moved the axle mount up or down to change height and kept the mounting the same.

Most spindle lifts I have seen have a longer stem at the top to help keep the upper arm geometry in spec. A good one will also have drop plates for the front axle to keep the CV angles in spec.

wlfpck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As far as Ive seen the frames are the same, just whats riveted to them. The torsion bar frame has torsion bar mounts under the cab, the coil spring trucks have a spring bucket. The torsion bar trucks also have an extra cross member at the front. I know for a fact my truck has the holes in the frame for the torsion bar mounts even though its coil. So it's not impossible to swap to coil spring if you have a donor truck.
If I take both these statements and attempt to draw a conclusion...

So does not appear like the lower control arm will swap over due to the distance between the pivot points of the arms for the torsion bar LCA is different than that of the coil spring LCA? Is the shock mount in the same location as the coil spring bucket? The conversion kits done by say Fabtech all show that you have to gusset/reinforce the shock mount on the torsion bar truck since the shock mount was never meant to hold the weight of the front end by itself. Is that in that shock mount in the same location as the coil spring bucket?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I would trust jolene over me lol. I'm just going by what ive seen in junkyards.

wlfpck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Found this in the tech articles...

Coil spring vs torsion bar:

From this... it kind of looks like the coil spring bucket versus the shock mount is in the same location... just one is straight down... the other is at an angle and higher up off the frame? Shame that the distance between the pivot points on the LCA is different... if it wasn't.... man... be kind of easy to do a conversion. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals