• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torque specs for BW1354 Transfer case?

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Just replaced the drive chain in my transfer case and now can't find the torque ratings to put it back together.

First is the case bolts for the two halves of the case.

Rear flange bolt (I have read 150lbs-180 but want to confirm)

Rear driveshaft bolts (16lbs?) and front driveshaft bolts (the smaller ones).

Thanks for any help.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Case bolts : 25 ft lb

Rear output flange: 162 ft lbs

Rear driveshaft to flange : 82 ft lb (use new bolts or apply thread locker)

Front driveshaft to flange: 22 ft lbs, again new bolts or thread locker needs to be used.

Those numbers came right out of the shop manual's spec sheet.

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
OK, parts store told me the transfer case takes Mercon LV which doesn't sound right to me since it didn't exist when this truck was built. Are they full of it or is Mercon LV correct? The valvoline maxlife doesn't state it's compatible with earlier Mercon varieties.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
OK, parts store told me the transfer case takes Mercon LV which doesn't sound right to me since it didn't exist when this truck was built. Are they full of it or is Mercon LV correct?
If by "it" you mean stupid, then yes, they are full of it.

Transfercase fluid is preferred, Merc V if that isn't available.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
"Mercon" is what existed when your truck was built (what it called for). Today the same fluid is known as "Dex/Merc" or "Multi-Vehicle ATF" due to some licensing crap Ford pulled over the Mercon name awhile back. That is the fluid I would suggest using (check the back of the bottle, it should say "For use in older vehicles that called for Mercon fluid" or "Meets requirements for Mercon fluid" or something similar).

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Funny, that fully reminds me of back in 2007 when Ford was going back & forth about whether "Mercon V" fluid was a compatible replacement for "Mercon".
Initially Ford insisted they were incompatible (warranties would also be voided if you used one fluid where the other was spec'ed), but then later they would say Mercon V was backward-compatible with Mercon. They then said not compatible one more time before finally settling on "compatible" and then yanking the licensing for the Mercon name (perhaps this was the same type of conflicting info across the various Ford sites like was on that forum link). Meanwhile about that same time some people's M5OD transmissions started shifting like crap because the Merc V fluid additives apparently made it too slippery for the synchros to function correctly (they should've stuck with their initial stance).

I will add however, in this particular instance involving a transfer case WITHOUT an electric spin-up clutch (all manual-shift cases, all 2001 & up cases), almost any ATF fluid would likely be fine (inc. Mercon V), but I absolutely would not recommend putting Merc V fluid into a manual transmission that does not explicitly call for it, nor in a t-case that has a spin-up clutch).

Like adsm said, easiest to just stick with fluids having the original formulation.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found Pennzoil Dex-Merc at an Oil & Country Store, what it says on their card. Cheaper than Wmart on oils and such, they also deliver gas and diesel to farms and ranches, businesses around a number of counties here.
I haven't seen this stuff at Wmart, and haven't looked at Atwoods or Orschelins, Tractor supply or any of those, but you might check your local farm/ranch supply stores

Attachments

mtnstyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Well, after 5 stops (one being the dealership) it looks like it is going to be the mercon LV. According to the omnipotent parts guy at the dealership the xt-12 no longer exists anywhere. The mercon LV is thinner because it is fully synthetic. The other option is to pay the crazy prices

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals