• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torque adapter?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
So in preparation for replacement of the 2011 escape front wheel bearings Ive bought (2) new knuckle/hub/bearing assemblies & just happened to look up the torque on the axle nut, 214ft#. my 1/2” drive t-wrench only goes to 150, Have a huge 36” breaker bar though and saw that harbor freight has a “torque adapter “ which is only $49-ish and to get a bigger T-wrench that goes that far (to 250# on the one I saw though h.f.) is $150-ish. this “adapter “ goes between the breaker bar / socket & can be set like a electronic wrench, will “beep” at set point. seems like a good idea, Doubt Id use a big t-wrench that much after this job. Anyone have experience with these? Hopefully this job goes well. I hate hub bearings, all the new crap seems to have it though.

IMG_8166.png

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
We use teally big ines on helicopter transmissions and torquing the shaft nut on 5k hp turboshaft engines.

They call them torque multipliers here but it does the same thing you are saying. We have to have them to get torque high enough to stretch the power turbine shaft and lock the discs in place

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have no experience with them, but my buddy that owns his own shop has a couple of the AC Delco version. Seems to like them when I asked the other day. I've considered possibly picking one up, but I don't know if I'd get it from HF.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They call them torque multipliers here but it does the same thing you are saying.
I think I know what you are talking about, but I don't think it's the same thing. Haven't used one of those either. We've got some big torque numbers on horizontal stabs and landing gear, but we've also got some BIG torque wrenches to hit those numbers.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Torque multipliers are different beasts, they have gear reduction but since it's a known ratio you can set a smaller torque wrench and multiply that by the ratio. What racsan is talking about is literally an inline torque measuring device, does the same as a torque wrench but just in the length of a 3" extension...

They have good ratings and most of the HFT torque measurement stuff seems to be testing reasonably in accuracy, I think Project Farm or some of those guys on youtube have tested them...

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
I ended up in the same kinda boat not too long ago. I needed to hit something like 210 ft/lb and my 1/2” only went to 150. I ended up borrowing a 300 ft/lb beast off of @sgtsandman and got it done. Not too long after I returned it I needed one again. At that point I decided I needed my own. Ended up getting one from Autozone and I want to say it was around $80

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I ended up in the same kinda boat not too long ago. I needed to hit something like 210 ft/lb and my 1/2” only went to 150. I ended up borrowing a 300 ft/lb beast off of @sgtsandman and got it done. Not too long after I returned it I needed one again. At that point I decided I needed my own. Ended up getting one from Autozone and I want to say it was around $80
Most of the time, that torque wrench sits around collecting dust but when you need it, you need it. I've never regretted spending the money on it.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Most of the time, that torque wrench sits around collecting dust but when you need it, you need it. I've never regretted spending the money on it.
One of my friends long ago said that if you have to borrow something more than once, no matter how little it gets used, chances are pretty good you will need it more than just twice so you should consider buying one. I don’t mind borrowing something once or twice, but after that, I’d rather have it collecting dust and be there when I need it than have to borrow it again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals