• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

top end kits

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ported trick flow 170 heads..real good port work.. ported upper and lower intake, ported yhrottle body,mill the heads to 58cc, .035 headgasket.. a good cam and 30 lb injectors, 80 mm mas, headers.. youll be at 350 or very close to the tire.. fixing to dyno mine here very soon. Couple small things to do still

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Head work is just a waste of money if you dont put a cam in and a better intake and throttle body and injectors. Get a dremel and some bits and port match the gaskets. It isn't that hard, There are plenty of videos online.

This will give you what you are looking for.

Gt40p heads port match the gaskets intake and exhaust sides (port and polish)

Gt40 intake or explorer intake same thing basically

Upper and lower plenum spacer

Sn95 fuel rail (flows better)

Trickflow valve spring kit

Ford performance B303 cam or equivalent.

new lifters

Trickflow Hardened pushrods factory length

Pedestal mount roller rockers 1.71 will work from proform

Tall valve covers

Double roller chain timing set cloyes will be fine

You can't just change one thing unfortunately and make the power you want and have reliability also. Price some of this stuff it wasn't to bad. my first motor was this setup it made about 300.
Tall valve covers wont fit the explorer intake without a spacer..and spacer costs hp

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tall valve covers wont fit the explorer intake without a spacer..and spacer costs hp
Good with the bad..... its not a hundred horse.... that can be made up....

Again people need to do their own research..... figure out what works for them... that loss in hp is so insignificant over the gains in reducing drag in the valve train.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
[QUOTE="Ramcharger90, post: 1784255, member: 103971"

Again people need to do their own research..... figure out what works for them...
[/QUOTE]

I am guessing that is why he is here asking questions. Part of his research/opinion gathering/fact finding.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
2drexploder,

A quality flow benched port and polish job will cost approximately $800 + parts on iron heads; though valve guides are expected, you could get lucky on the rest of it being within spec.

There is a HUGE difference between this type of quality work and the "fabled" port match hack-job. If you are considering a cam to increase performance, definitely have the heads flow bench P/P as the machinist will be able to recommend a custom cam grind that is exactly correct for YOUR engine. Even if you aren't planning a cam upgrade having your heads ported and flow matched to your intakes with make a substantial improvement in performance efficiency. Ported heads matched to intakes will also benefit from good exhaust flow (headers and improved flow exhaust).

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2drexploder,

A quality flow benched port and polish job will cost approximately $800 + parts on iron heads; though valve guides are expected, you could get lucky on the rest of it being within spec.

There is a HUGE difference between this type of quality work and the "fabled" port match hack-job. If you are considering a cam to increase performance, definitely have the heads flow bench P/P as the machinist will be able to recommend a custom cam grind that is exactly correct for YOUR engine. Even if you aren't planning a cam upgrade having your heads ported and flow matched to your intakes with make a substantial improvement in performance efficiency. Ported heads matched to intakes will also benefit from good exhaust flow (headers and improved flow exhaust).
What he just said.. period. Nothing more to add

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
2drexploder,

Add to the above machine work to convert to studs and guide plates so you can adjust your valve lash for your new cam. The price of new aluminum heads are more competitive after you add all that up. And they have better chambers, larger valves, etc.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you are looking to spend money go that route. If you want to save some money do what I did with the P heads. I am able to out run my 92 supercharged mustang. Ive done it before. I ran my friend when he owned the car. The Ranger runs like a champ.

306 short block with ARP bolts and wiesco forged pistons with H beam rods.
GT40P heads port matched
B cam
Trickflow lifters
Trickflow hardened pushrods
Proform pedestal mount 1.71 roller rockers
Trickflow intake
Bosch 24lb injectors
SN95 fuel rail
BBK 70mm throttle body
BBK 76mm mass air flow sensor

All of these parts will work with a exploder short block. It was the setup I used before. The thing that killed my first motor was the oil filter relocation hose blew out.

The pedestal mount roller rockers
And trickflow valve spring kit eliminate the valve lash adjustment which is what I wanted to do since its a DD for me also. You dont have to go back in and adjust anything after you run it for a while. The only thing you should do as in any engine build is make sure they are still torqued.

Also you can use that gt40 intake still and meet your power goal. Like I did before I put all new stuff on because the old explorer intakes like to crack at the thermostat housing and the ears on the upper plenum.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you are looking to spend money go that route. If you want to save some money do what I did with the P heads. I am able to out run my 92 supercharged mustang. Ive done it before. I ran my friend when he owned the car. The Ranger runs like a champ.

306 short block with ARP bolts and wiesco forged pistons with H beam rods.
GT40P heads port matched
B cam
Trickflow lifters
Trickflow hardened pushrods
Proform pedestal mount 1.71 roller rockers
Trickflow intake
Bosch 24lb injectors
SN95 fuel rail
BBK 70mm throttle body
BBK 76mm mass air flow sensor

All of these parts will work with a exploder short block. It was the setup I used before. The thing that killed my first motor was the oil filter relocation hose blew out.

The pedestal mount roller rockers
And trickflow valve spring kit eliminate the valve lash adjustment which is what I wanted to do since its a DD for me also. You dont have to go back in and adjust anything after you run it for a while. The only thing you should do as in any engine build is make sure they are still torqued.

Also you can use that gt40 intake still and meet your power goal. Like I did before I put all new stuff on because the old explorer intakes like to crack at the thermostat housing and the ears on the upper plenum.
I bet you did not have any problems because you used a Ford OEM camshaft. It's a crap shoot with the aftermarket camshafts.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
2drexploder,

A reasonable solution to any non adjustable valve train is a custom set of adjustable push rods from Smith Brother's. They charge about $11-ish each; 16 x $11, so approximately $180 plus shipping and your set.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bet you did not have any problems because you used a Ford OEM camshaft. It's a crap shoot with the aftermarket camshafts.
Ford performance B303 Cam. Its similar to a Trickflow stage 1

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
thx yall, well weekend is here, and its raining, so no turning wrenches right now.
got a few more questions pertaining this swap ive been pondering
first is gas tank, what options are there to get a bigger tank? will the expo tank fit?
what mods are needed to make expo motor work in ranger pertained to fuel?
second egr, going manual trans so tuning will be required anyways, should i get rid of egr?
third is upgrade brakes for front? whats available?
99 ranger reg cab, 2.5 5spd coild sprung front 2wd
98 eddiebauer awd-donor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals