• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

top end kits

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
what top end kits will work ona p-head motor? according to summit racings page no top end kits they offer will fit on explorer 5.0s
or what set of aluminum heads work with stock intake?

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A 5.0 is a 5.0....

The difference between them is in year range and what they came out of.

A 5.0 explorer is nearly identical to a sn95 5.0 except it doesn't have forged pistons. And has a truck cam....

5.0 intakes and the intake ports on the head are the same for the most part. I have a trickflow intake on my P heads that intake is for a 87-93 mustang. The gt40 and gt40p heads can be port and polished to make alot of power suprisingly. The exploder intake unless you port the runners out really is done at 350hp.

Personally...
A built short block from Dart. Its the way to go if you are looking at making big power reliably.

Trickflow makes top end kits that will work with the exploder short block the issue is like with any engine build...

Lift, duration, clearance etc....

Those pistons will handle a naturally aspirated setup that is dyno tuned by a professional after new cam bearings and some arp head studs and main cap bolts of course... 400-450hp reliably.... for some time. Ive seen them handle more but lets be practical if you are on a budget.

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

The valve reliefs in the pistons should be deep enough. Read all the information below in the link.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
According to trick flow website the 11r kit works, but 430 hp and 3gs is too much for know. I think I'll concentrate on the swap in stocks for for now. Also how much would you expect to pay for porting the gt40p heads, my local machine said they won't touch cast iron heads when it comes to porting. Say its cheaper to just buy aluminum heads. Thank you all for the advice

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Also I'm looking to make 300 to 350 ponies, but reliably, it is and will remain my dd.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
According to trick flow website the 11r kit works, but 430 hp and 3gs is too much for know. I think I'll concentrate on the swap in stocks for for now. Also how much would you expect to pay for porting the gt40p heads, my local machine said they won't touch cast iron heads when it comes to porting. Say its cheaper to just buy aluminum heads. Thank you all for the advice
Head work is just a waste of money if you dont put a cam in and a better intake and throttle body and injectors. Get a dremel and some bits and port match the gaskets. It isn't that hard, There are plenty of videos online.

This will give you what you are looking for.

Gt40p heads port match the gaskets intake and exhaust sides (port and polish)

Gt40 intake or explorer intake same thing basically

Upper and lower plenum spacer

Sn95 fuel rail (flows better)

Trickflow valve spring kit

Ford performance B303 cam or equivalent.

new lifters

Trickflow Hardened pushrods factory length

Pedestal mount roller rockers 1.71 will work from proform

Tall valve covers

Double roller chain timing set cloyes will be fine

You can't just change one thing unfortunately and make the power you want and have reliability also. Price some of this stuff it wasn't to bad. my first motor was this setup it made about 300.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
They are right. Their labor rate is not cheap. And I am assuming even on the later model heads, Ford kept the bolt down rocker system with no adjustment to the valve train. If you are going to a different cam in it, you really need an adjustable valve train. More work more money to modify stock heads to make them adjustable. The aftermarket heads are already setup to be adjustable. And they have larger valves also.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
They are right. Their labor rate is not cheap. And I am assuming even on the later model heads, Ford kept the bolt down rocker system with no adjustment to the valve train. If you are going to a different cam in it, you really need an adjustable valve train. More work more money to modify stock heads to make them adjustable. The aftermarket heads are already setup to be adjustable. And they have larger valves also.
Yes you can use pedestal roller rockers and you wont need adjustments. Most people dont know how to do that anyway.... so the pedestal mount rockers either 1.61 or 1.71 will work with that set up. I have P heads on my 306 with proform 1.71 pedestal roller rockers. My P heads are port and polished, I did them wasn't hard and they are holding up fine.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yes you can use pedestal roller rockers and you wont need adjustments. Most people dont know how to do that anyway.... so the pedestal mount rockers either 1.61 or 1.71 will work with that set up. I have P heads on my 306 with proform 1.71 pedestal roller rockers. My P heads are port and polished, I did them wasn't hard and they are holding up fine.
If you change the camshaft on a stock engine with a aftermarket camshaft 90% of the time you need to adjust the valve lash. Different rockers can throw the stock valve lash off also. No way to get it back unless some type of shim or conversion is used. You can get lucky sometimes and it all works out.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you change the camshaft on a stock engine with a aftermarket camshaft 90% of the time you need to adjust the valve lash. Different rockers can throw the stock valve lash off also. No way to get it back unless some type of shim or conversion is used. You can get lucky sometimes and it all works out.
Thats why you get the trickflow valve spring kit, It comes with everything you need. Seals, shims, springs, a tool to check the height, new keepers and retainers. Obviously you need honey comb or heavier springs with roller rockers and a cam, then you need hardened pushrods. Its a snow ball for sure and yes, I didnt write out a engine building guide. But guys gotta do research and see what works and more research and more research and research and research..... cant just ask..... heads are a waste without a cam....

Cam 200
Lifters 200
Valve spring kit 200
Pushrods 200
Roller rockers 200

Then you need to bring more air in and exhaust out.... if you really want 350 to the ground with an old ford v8 your gonna have about 1500-2000 into it minimum.

And so on

Last edited:

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
didn't mean to start an argument, i know it snowballs. i put a 98 expo motor in the bronco used a sn95 painless harness tho. also swapped my bro v6 stang to v8.
anyways i have a running driving 98 expo, with blown head gasket, ill stick to stock and work the kinks of the swap first. im sure you all will hear more from me as i dive into this task further. as of today im fixing my engine hoist to pull the 5.0, an get heads checked.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would not call it a argument. More like a good debate. I think people benefit from a good debate. Brings out some good info sometimes.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
got a part number for the trickflow kit?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
just the spring kit?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals