• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

toolbox and rear seats added to B2

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
toolbox and rear seats added to B2

The seat was aftermarket. My B2 is a rolling piece of rust, so, at this point all I cared about is doing a ghetto booty fab body lift for free (metal I had available - had to buy bolts for the body lift) and using what seats I had around. I think I used (4) 7/16" grade 5 bolts for the toolbox.

Attachments

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used some 3" structural c-channel (came from a roller conveyor) for the seat frame, attached with 3/8" grade 8 to the floor and to the seat, large thick washers to prevent pull through. Suitable for kids, but, I do fit back there without hitting the roof, slightly off center so the rear passengers can see out through the middle.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I like the idea of the tool box... takes a pretty good level of commitment though.

Here I'm thinking delete the rear seat... and you're figuring ways to put one back in. Makes me second guess removing the one I have.

I'm so on the fence on what to do back there on mine...

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Git er done! Love it!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I like the idea of the tool box... takes a pretty good level of commitment though.

Here I'm thinking delete the rear seat... and you're figuring ways to put one back in. Makes me second guess removing the one I have.

I'm so on the fence on what to do back there on mine...
The thing about the B2 is having the option of having more then one passenger and enclosed storage. It was 20+ years ago, but, when I had the three across 60/40 split bench seats, I used to take 5 other people to church for total of six Thrree front and three back. They were mostly kids, but, still it was handy and not horrible for short trips. Whenever I go more then 10 or so miles from my house, I usually take a full toolbox that is worth more then what I paid for the B2. Plus, air compressor, food, water, water filter, chargers, inverters, etc. So, having a secure place to store most of it, is very important for me, both for thief and accidents.

This toolbox fits inside the job box:
Husky - 20 in. 3-Drawer Small Metal Portable Tool Box with Drawers and Tray

The main reason I did not put the job box in the middle, back seat area, is because it is a hassle to get tools out of the box and getting the smaller box out itself. I installed it to almost the back of the seat, that way if I get rear ended, there is still a good chance I can get into the box if I really have to. If I had a large dog, I would make it an insulated (floor) bed area with a tie down for the dog's body harness. Most have two rings and you can use a clip for each one to evenly secure the dog..

I would caution against having anything vertical in the 2nd row area, such as a tire carrier or toolbox without special planning because in a rear end accident, many times your seats fold down flat and you end up in the back seat area. If you hit your head against a vertical surface you snap your neck.

I had a customer get rear ended, that hit the back of her Ranger so hard, regular cab, she bowed the back of the wall to the bed. The high back bucket seats saved her from more serious harm and obviously squished up. My MIL was hit so hard, she ended up flat on her back in her Explorer (?) and had broken ribs in her back area, plus, neck injuries.

Just something to think about when doing a seat delete and repurpoing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals