• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Took out the distributor without marking

Buster brown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I took out the distributor without marking anything.( I have a 3.0 v6 1993 Ford ranger manual) and I need help because I found one timing mark on my pulley but can’t find the other any help?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I'd turn the engine over till the timing mark on the crank is at top dead center, or pretty close. That's TDC for cylinder #1, but you don't know if it's intake or exhaust stroke without looking at the valves or cam. BUT... it's for #1.

Now set the distributor to fire to plug #1 (the rotor should point to where the #1 plug wire attaches to the cap).

Got a 50% chance of getting it right. If it doesn't work.... turn engine over by hand again till at TDC, but when the distributor is pointing 180 degrees away from #1. Reset distributor to point to #1 again.

Think that should work, and I think (someone will say so if this is wrong) that #1 is front cylinder on passenger side, as Ford numbers them.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Stick your finger in the #1 plug hole and rotate the engine, if you reach the mark on the crank and feel no air pressure you are 180 out. Rotate it one more time and the compression will push your finger out of the hole. Wala you are now at TDC. Line up the rotor so its on the #1 plug on the distributor cap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But without the marks on front cover then the line on the crank pulley/balancer is meaningless

Not sure why you don't see it?

You can pull the crank pulley bolt and use the key way to mark the pulley, so you have a TDC reference, then put the bolt back in, so you can manually turn the crank
Doesn't matter where the key way is when you remove the bolt, just put a mark on crank pulley that shows YOU where key way is, when bolt is back on

Key way will be at 12:00 for #1 piston at TDC 0deg

But as others have said thats TDC for #1 AND #5 cylinders, thats why distributors can be 180deg out
You want TDC compression stroke for #1 as Dirtman described

But..........................you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time, and 100% chance the 2nd time, lol
So put crank at #1 TDC
Install distributor rotor so it points at #1 spark plug wire
Crank engine, if it fires up then you guessed right
If it doesn't then remove cap, lift up distributor and rotate the rotor 180deg from where it was when lifted this time
Reinstall
Start engine

Last edited:

Buster brown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
But without the marks on front cover then the line on the crank pulley/balancer is meaningless

Not sure why you don't see it?

You can pull the crank pulley bolt and use the key way to mark the pulley, so you have a TDC reference, then put the bolt back in, so you can manually turn the crank
Doesn't matter where the key way is when you remove the bolt, just put a mark on crank pulley that shows YOU where key way is, when bolt is back on

Key way will be at 12:00 for #1 piston at TDC 0deg

But as others have said thats TDC for #1 AND #5 cylinders, thats why distributors can be 180deg out
You want TDC compression stroke for #1 as Dirtman described

But..........................you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time, and 100% chance the 2nd time, lol
So put crank at #1 TDC
Install distributor rotor so it points at #1 spark plug wire
Crank engine, if it fires up then you guessed right
If it doesn't then remove cap, lift up distributor and rotate the rotor 180deg from where it was when lifted this time
Reinstall
Start engine
I have the mark on the pulley but I can’t find one anywhere else to line it up
Stick your finger in the #1 plug hole and rotate the engine, if you reach the mark on the crank and feel no air pressure you are 180 out. Rotate it one more time and the compression will push your finger out of the hole. Wala you are now at TDC. Line up the rotor so its on the #1 plug on the distributor cap.
thank you I’ll give it a try

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
When my '94 3.0 distributer gear sheared the roll pin off I had to do the timing from the position you are in. On the right side of the crank, passenger side, about 45° from center is the timing mark that is bolted to the engine. Its like an arrow with a small line in the middle.

Follow Dirtmans suggestion to find the compression stroke on cylinder #1, again front passenger side cylinder. Once on the compression stroke line the marks to 0°. This is top dead center for #1 cylinder and where you need to insert the distributer. Like Ron D mentioned point the rotor at #1 plug wire in the cap and slowly insert the distributer, but the rotor will turn when it is inserted into the cam teeth so you may have to advance or retard the rotor so that once seated in it points directly at the #1 plug wire.

From there try to start. If it starts shut it off and pull the SPOUT plug that is located behind the driver side head light and use a timing light to set the timing to 12° before top dead center. If you are a tooth off one direction or the other the engine will run really rough with timing at 0°'s so make sure when inserting the distributer to account for the rotation of the rotor as the gears mesh.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Once you feel pressure building against your finger- indicating #1 is on the compression stroke- remove your finger and stick a screw driver in the plug hole. then turn the engine by hand until the piston pushes the screw driver up to the top, then slowly turn the engine back and forth to find TDC. You're going to need to locate the indicator to set the timing, worst case, once you pin point TDC you can make your own pointer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals