• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Too old for new headers? 94 ranger 3.0

Aaron Powell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I can't seem to find any headers (even cheap ass eBay headers) for my 94 single cab, short bed, manual trans 3.0 ranger (b3000). What is the difference between them and the newer (98+) headers/Y pipe? Exhaust rebuild from the Y pipe back isn't a problem. Just wondering if there's a difference in the manifold bolt pattern or location of tubing/Y pipe the would touch/interfere with the transmission/frame/engine. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I seem to remember there is a tech page that details the maturation of the vulcan 3.0 over time and what changes that have happened that make various parts not compatible with each other. Now I see on rockauto.com right now that you can get either dorman or atp headers, so not sure why you are having issues locating parts. Worst comes to work bring your tools and your spirit to your local pick 'n pull and get wrenching.

Aaron Powell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I seem to remember there is a tech page that details the maturation of the vulcan 3.0 over time and what changes that have happened that make various parts not compatible with each other. Now I see on rockauto.com right now that you can get either dorman or atp headers, so not sure why you are having issues locating parts. Worst comes to work bring your tools and your spirit to your local pick 'n pull and get wrenching.
What you're referring to is the exhaust manifolds. I'm not looking for exhaust manifolds, I'm looking for aftermarket headers. I've searched and can't seem to find any.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
If I am remembering correctly the 98+ rangers have a different cab and front suspension was changed causing a need to redesign the header tubes.

Headers for the 3.0L were scarce to start with and not many companys actually produced them which has caused a lack of them around now.

Best option is junkyard searching then have then machined flat for install on your motor. When I first got my 3.0L, 94, I looked around and found the same issues you have run into and found that junk yard strolling is the best option to find them... many have been crushed though.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The heads never changed, so newer headers will bolt to the older 3.0. There are some differences in the Y pipe, and may run into issues with clearances with the frame, cab, steering shaft, etc. I know that I've seen it done before, but it's been years so I don't remember specific details about what had to be modded to make it work.
FYI, JBA part #1646S would be a bolt in option if you can find any. Here's a good look at what comes with that kit:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
I just posted this as a reply to another similar post, but I wanted to share this as much as possible to make it easier to find. Before buying these headers, I tried to find forum posts of other people installing them on older trucks but couldn't find any. So I'm sharing this again here in hopes that it'll help someone else out if they're looking into it.

--

I recently decided to bite the bullet and buy a set for my 97 even though they aren't listed as fitting. They do in fact fit. I was worried that maybe they wouldn't fit since the chassis on a 98 is a lot different than a 97 or older truck, but there's still plenty of clearance with these on. There's plenty of clearance around the steering shaft, which is what I was most worried about. Unfortunately, I can't say if the y pipe on my truck would've bolted up because the bolts were seized in the manifold so I cut it to get it all out.

Before buying these I did a bit of research. If you look up stock replacement exhaust manifolds, Dorman has the same part numbers for a 97 and 98 3.0 ranger. But, on the driver's side manifold, they have the two different EGR connections (the 97 and 98 use different EGR fittings on the manifold, so Dorman just makes one that works for both applications). This leads me to believe that my stock y pipe would've bolted up, since the stock manifolds are interchangeable between the two years (other than EGR).

However, I also tried cross referencing an older Ranger, a 94 3.0 to see if those manifolds were still the same part numbers just for kicks. Those did not match part numbers, and they did look a little different. So, there's definitely a possibility in some older trucks that a custom y pipe will need to be made, along with the EGR tube (if you're keeping EGR). But, neither of those are a big deal.

The only clearance issue I ran into was that the throttle cable ended up being very close to the header, so I ziptied it out of the way. And on the passenger side I zip tied some of the vacuum lines a bit further away from the header too. Those are the only things I had to change for these to go on my truck. I can't guarantee that they'll fit in all older trucks, but I hope this helps.

Here they are in my truck, and I also added a picture of the EGR tube I modified to work.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Headers never fit right.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
93-94 Ford 3.0L engines do not have an EGR system. ( at least the non-California emissions compliant versions ) This was added with a later update to the 3.0L. This tid-bit of info would cause a different part number.

This baffled the heck out of me when I first got my '94 3.0L when I went looking for the EGR system and couldn't find it and hit up google and found that it was an addition later in the 3.0L's lifetime.

Good info to know that at least for the newer 3.oh-no's there is still some hope for headers.

EDIT: 2002 and later 3.0L engines also do not have an EGR valve.

Last edited:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
93-94 Ford 3.0L engines do not have an EGR system. ( at least the non-California emissions compliant versions ) This was added with a later update to the 3.0L. This tid-bit of info would cause a different part number.

This baffled the heck out of me when I first got my '94 3.0L when I went looking for the EGR system and couldn't find it and hit up google and found that it was an addition later in the 3.0L's lifetime.

Good info to know that at least for the newer 3.oh-no's there is still some hope for headers.

EDIT: 2002 and later 3.0L engines also do not have an EGR valve.
Hmm I didn't know that. JBA does offer versions of these headers both with and without EGR though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals