• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Too many cranks to start

jeedee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Until this week (hot), my 2002 XLT, 3.0, automatic, positraction would fire up immediately. Now it cranks longer before starting. Where's the first place to look? (The alternator is charging about 0.2 volts under specs.)
Any suggestions appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try turning the key to run several times without starting the truck. This is to turn on the fuel pump and pressurize the system to see if you have a leak in the fuel system. Then try to start. If it starts right up then check fuel.system for leaks. It can be an internal leak as well.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
BATTERY. Heat. Just replaced my battery (HOT So-Fla) and it turns over noticeably quicker. There's a minimum piston/crank velocity you need to fire up, and the more peak amps you can feed that starter motor, the quicker it can overcome 6 cylinders worth of compression.

How OLD is your battery? What does the voltage across the terminals read when it's been sitting awhile, engine off?

PS: as a further check, trying pausing for a slow 2-count between Key-On and Key-Start to let the fuel pump pressurize the injectors... if you've got good ears and are in a quiet place, you can hear the fuel pump crank/buzz for a couple seconds then go quiet...

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Plus check the obvious battery issues--fluid level by eyeball, acid concentration with one of those "turkey baster" bulb testers.

jeedee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nice to have a forum like this and tap the brains of a lot of smart folks. Thanx very much all, for the suggestions.
(PS, Battery is close to 13 V across the terminals when off....cranking starter draw is also in range when starting.)

Caprock Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 (3 trucks)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
All three 3.0's
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
all 15", from 225/70 to 31x10.50
My credo
To each their own ____. If it's no skin off my butt, then I couldn't care less.
Recently ran into the same problem. First thought it was my crank position sensor because the tach pointer didn't move during cranking. Swapped crank sensor with one of my other Rangers. No change.
Then checked fuel pressure. My problem was a leaking check valve. Even though the fuel pump was working as it should, the check valve was leaking the pressure off when the engine was off.
New fuel pump solved the problem.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Recently ran into the same problem. First thought it was my crank position sensor because the tach pointer didn't move during cranking. Swapped crank sensor with one of my other Rangers. No change.
Then checked fuel pressure. My problem was a leaking check valve. Even though the fuel pump was working as it should, the check valve was leaking the pressure off when the engine was off.
^^^ This.
That is what the procedure I posted previously is used to check for.

Caprock Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 (3 trucks)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
All three 3.0's
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
all 15", from 225/70 to 31x10.50
My credo
To each their own ____. If it's no skin off my butt, then I couldn't care less.
Read your reply alwaysFloored and figured your "internal leak" was referring to the check valve.
None the less, thought I'd chime in with my experience to let jeedee know that problem wasn't uncommon.
Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No toes were stepped on. You put it better terms than I did and just wanted to highlight that fact.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Love this place!... egos to the side, brains and experience to the fore, shyt gets solved!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

jeedee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx for the info...will keep it in mind if/when necessary.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
If you find that it starts right up after turning the key to the run position a few times first you can put a fuel pressure Guage on the fuel rail on the engine to watch for bleed off of pressure. This is the technical way to see if the check valve went bad in the pump.

The bleed off will usually happen within ten minutes of the engine being shut off. Harbor Freight has a nice cheap gauge that will work great. But only go this route if it starts right up after the key to run position a few time first.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
bumping an old thread, but i had this same issue and it was due to a bad connection on a poorly replaced positive battery ternminal connector

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals