• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tom Morana 1.8 Roller Rockers for V6 3.0 vulcan

imakoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Everyone! I have a 91' Taurus and I was looking for way to increase power/efficiency and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about 1.8 roller rockers from Tom Morana. I spoke to him on the phone twice and each time he was confident that his product would fit without complications or replacing anything. Is this true? if not what should I know? If there is a problem with this vendor are there alternatives (fred is not an option his sources are dry) also what gains can I expect from this? Better fuel economy, less oil consumption, how much horsepower, etc. Thanks for the input everyone!

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I ran crane 1.7 roller rockers on my old 3.0L a few years back. No change in fuel economy, a miniscule gain in the top end and a LOT quieter valvetrain with the roller rockers. 1.8 rocker arms would concern me with added camshaft/roller lifter wear. This would not be the first gofast part I would throw on, but they will compliment ported cylinder heads/performance valve job along with a free breathing intake/exhaust. The 3.0L engines are the same between the taurus and ranger.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So you are trying to build a performance 3.0 Vulcan?

I can think of better ways to spend your efforts.

And lifters are def not the first part to replace to get to your stated goal.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Yamaha already did the work for you. It'd be cheaper to do an SHO conversion.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yamaha already did the work for you. It'd be cheaper to do an SHO conversion.
Forget Yamaha find something newer with more power.

BTW that was a Ford designed engine subbed out for Yamaha to build.

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Forget Yamaha find something newer with more power.

BTW that was a Ford designed engine subbed out for Yamaha to build.
There is no newer motor with more power than the SHO motor that drops into a Taurus platform.

The original SHO motor was 100% a Yamaha motor that was "Commissioned" by ford, not a ford design

"In 1984, executives of the Yamaha Motor Corporation signed a contract with the Ford Motor Company to develop, produce, and supply a compact 60° DOHC V6 engine for transverse application."

But I wouldn't put a PENNY into modifying a 3.0 vulcan in a taurus. Chances are a SHO Motor AND transmission AND swap parts would be within $100-200 of the Roller Rockers ALONE.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is no newer motor with more power than the SHO motor that drops into a Taurus platform.

The original SHO motor was 100% a Yamaha motor that was "Commissioned" by ford, not a ford design

"In 1984, executives of the Yamaha Motor Corporation signed a contract with the Ford Motor Company to develop, produce, and supply a compact 60° DOHC V6 engine for transverse application."

But I wouldn't put a PENNY into modifying a 3.0 vulcan in a taurus. Chances are a SHO Motor AND transmission AND swap parts would be within $100-200 of the Roller Rockers ALONE.
Forget the existing car and the sho swap alltogether and find a newer car with more power.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Everyone! I have a 91' Taurus and I was looking for way to increase power/efficiency and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about 1.8 roller rockers from Tom Morana. I spoke to him on the phone twice and each time he was confident that his product would fit without complications or replacing anything. Is this true? if not what should I know? If there is a problem with this vendor are there alternatives (fred is not an option his sources are dry) also what gains can I expect from this? Better fuel economy, less oil consumption, how much horsepower, etc. Thanks for the input everyone!

Drop a V8 in there and stop trying to hop up a junk motor....lol

The best thang would be a turbo if you want real performance. But why, with the price of gas?? Just leave it alone and enjoy the ride. Save for a real nice newer car or truck!!

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Taurii are cheap and younger drivers have them. Guys (& gals) who have their first ride and want to learn about performance & maintenance. The Vulcan is a good platform and common. Everyone has to start somewhere in learning, don't discourage it.

imakoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know if tom morana is reputable? I have heard of people having major pedestal issues with his product and having to spend over 900 to get it repaired since this guy is the only one who makes stuff for the vulcan I am kinda screwed here I don't want to just throw away my money any experiences talking to him or ordering products?

imakoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
in addition has anyone ordered 1.8 roller rockers from just morana. If so what was your experience with them. ( any addition mods have to be done) he claims that they just bolt right on.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
He is not reputable in my, and many other's opinions. He is the only vendor for 3.0 and 4.0 OHV performance parts, so he has a monopoly essentially. I've been told his customer service is basically "To bad, so sad, oh well".

imakoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to just ask him about the pedestal issue and see what he says, wait for a few more opinion then make my decision. Oh by the way dasfinc that is a very nice ranger my dad has one and I have always wanted to s/c it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals