• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

toe?

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
How much toe are you guys running? I'm running factory tires and wheels. I set it at 1/8" in but it seems like it's too much. Maybe more? Less? Steering just seems more sloppy now.

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Toe adjustment isn't going to help sloppy steering. I'd run the factory spec, incorrect toe will wear tires faster than any other alignment angle

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
If your toe is too far in it WILL make it feel like the steering is sloppy. IE, you have to turn your wheel further than normally to make small steering corrections. If I knew what the factory spec was I would have already set it. My steering is not sloppy.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Your toe would have to be WAY toed-in before you'd notice the effects of it (well beyond the point of where tire wear is accelerated).

I'd check for play in your linkage, column, or in the box itself. Other causes for it to feel sloppy or like it's wandering are insufficient caster, and improper geometry of the linkage (usually occurs after a suspension lift is installed).

FWIW, I set mine anywhere from dead-parallel, to 1/8" toe-in.

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
set it at zero, straight ahead.

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
most rwd will be a hair in, since when you are on the throttle the litttttle front end lift you get will straighten out. Called running toe.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Bingo...toe in RWD's about an 1/8", and toe out FWD's about an 1/8"

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Great, that's where I am at now. Ever since I straightened my steering wheel out it seems to feel sloppier. Box is good, I can't feel any play there or in any of my steering, balljoints, bearings. I do have some in my steering shaft but as there is no way to service any of this I am pretty much stuck. Why would it get worse since I straightened my wheel out? The only thing I haven't really checked yet are my TTB bushings. I will leave my toe alone and look elsewhere.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Your toe would have to be WAY toed-in before you'd notice the effects of it (well beyond the point of where tire wear is accelerated).

I'd check for play in your linkage, column, or in the box itself. Other causes for it to feel sloppy or like it's wandering are insufficient caster, and improper geometry of the linkage (usually occurs after a suspension lift is installed).

FWIW, I set mine anywhere from dead-parallel, to 1/8" toe-in.
I can feel the difference between 1/8" toe in and 1/4" toe in with my 36" SX's. I could even feel the difference on this truck. It's accellerated by very deep ruts and lane changes.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I run 1/8" toe in on both my rigs as well.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I may try setting it closer to straight. Thinking about the weight transfer front to back with the way the steering is on these. The front is going to pull in anyways.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I can feel the difference between 1/8" toe in and 1/4" toe in with my 36" SX's. I could even feel the difference on this truck. It's accellerated by very deep ruts and lane changes.
Yeah I think you might have something else going on under there... Is your truck lifted? (guessing it must be if you're running 36" SXs). I highly suspect you have a geometry issue with your steering linkage, not a toe problem (plus, you cannot expect SXs to ride and handle like radials tires anyway)

Last edited:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
no, that is on my BII. The explorer is 100% stock. I'm going to go over my bushings a bit more. I know I do have a little bit of play in my steering column. I swapped to a Ujoint steering shaft thinking that the shaft itself was the problem but it wasn't. Box is in good shape, I couldn't feel any play in the tie rod or drag link. Just went through the bearings and they are fine, no play in balljoints at all. I did check the TTB bushings but very quickly.

Oh yeah, the 36" SX's handle great. Once they are warmed up.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to mess with it. Outside ujoint was freezing up on the passenger side and inner one was moving side to side but no rotational play. 2.5 hours later and they are all changed out and good as new. I toed out maybe 1/16" more from what I was at and it's a LOT better. I may try going straight and allowing for weight transfer. It does pull in a tad. I had my small girlfriend stand on the back bumper just to see how much potentially it could move the toe in. All is well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals