• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Todays weather

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Allow me to finish your thought...

gorgeous country scenery and one of these...

View attachment 70888
Yeeeeees. I grew up riding sleds. Some of my earliest, and a lot of my BEST memories involve sleds. 2 strokes rule.

We just don't get enough snow anymore unfortunately 😕

Maine is really rocky. To have a nice trail needs a base of 8-10-12" to cover up rocks and crap and we can't keep snow long enough to even get a good base.

We'll get a storm that dumps 18".. everyone hits the trail and beats it down to a 3" base.. then it'll be 46° for a week with 2 days of rain ruining everything. Then we won't get snow for another 2 weeks, and when we finally do its 3" of fluff.

Then it rains again.

Tracks on the 4 wheeler is the way to go.. be able to ride 11 months out of the year (shut for mudseason) regardless of how much snow there is.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Northern Michigan gets it's fare share... although it is probably not like it use to be. At times... it will be the only viable mode of transportation and I just don't want to be without one for emergency purposes. Certainly a four wheeler or side by side will come first.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Northern Michigan gets it's fare share... although it is probably not like it use to be. At times... it will be the only viable mode of transportation and I just don't want to be without one for emergency purposes. Certainly a four wheeler or side by side will come first.
Ive owned a few sleds over the years and would absolutely love to ride one more than 2-3 times a year.... northern Michigan seems like an area that may happen.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Sounds like a dream to me lol. "Can't come in to work this week... my mountain pass of a driveway is a total nightmare"

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Ive owned a few sleds over the years and would absolutely love to ride one more than 2-3 times a year.... northern Michigan seems like an area that may happen.
That's my "problem" with sleds now. If I wanted to ride, I'd really have to make a weekend of it.. rent a cabin 2 hours to the north.. blah blah blah.

Too much hassle and expense for a hobby. With tracks on the wheeler I could ride right from my front doorstep whenever I wanted.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
we had sleds back in the 70’s/early 80’s. when we stopped having much snow they sat, the 340 scorpion always gave us issues. One year it ran absolutely perfect. So we sold it. Hood on it was metallic metal-flake purple. We called it “the purple monster “. The other sled still sits in the back of the barn, a ‘69 plain-jane scorpion 300. not fast but could pull a car out of the ditch. Its not been ran in over 20 years. Bren wants a gator, that would be more useful to me & possibly safer. Back some 30 years ago I was on the back of a sled late at night, maybe 20/30 mph across a empty field. We were on a drift and it ended. 3ft drop to the ground. Suspension on the sled was rusted fast, basically a hardtail. My back was jammed bad, couldnt walk-couldnt speak from the pain, thought I was paralyzed. Ive not been a fan of sleds since.

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
we had sleds back in the 70’s/early 80’s. when we stopped having much snow they sat, the 340 scorpion always gave us issues. One year it ran absolutely perfect. So we sold it. Hood on it was metallic metal-flake purple. We called it “the purple monster “. The other sled still sits in the back of the barn, a ‘69 plain-jane scorpion 300. not fast but could pull a car out of the ditch. Its not been ran in over 20 years.
I'd love to have an old "leafer" as a yard toy. Mabey take it to the vintage oval races.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
we had sleds back in the 70’s/early 80’s. when we stopped having much snow they sat, the 340 scorpion always gave us issues. One year it ran absolutely perfect. So we sold it. Hood on it was metallic metal-flake purple. We called it “the purple monster “. The other sled still sits in the back of the barn, a ‘69 plain-jane scorpion 300. not fast but could pull a car out of the ditch. Its not been ran in over 20 years. Bren wants a gator, that would be more useful to me & possibly safer. Back some 30 years ago I was on the back of a sled late at night, maybe 20/30 mph across a empty field. We were on a drift and it ended. 3ft drop to the ground. Suspension on the sled was rusted fast, basically a hardtail. My back was jammed bad, couldnt walk-couldnt speak from the pain, thought I was paralyzed. Ive not been a fan of sleds since.
20/30 mph you say... The 2022 Yamaha Sidewinder SRX LE 1000 turbo makes 200hp and can hit about 120 mph. These things are nothing like the ones we had growing up... they’re rampaging animals.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I know- and the suspension systems are much better. back in those days the personal favorite of mine was the yamaha enticer 340. easy to recoil start, not to big to handle (I was 15/16 @115 pounds) Things have came a long ways & gone up alot in $ too.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Well, the storm is almost over here. Getting a little more light snow to end it. Turns out that sleet most of the day had a lot of freezing rain mixed in. It all sank to the bottom and made a thick layer of heavy slush that is now in the process of freezing.

I took some fresh cookies over to mom. The roads close to me are a mix if hard packed snow and freezing slush. Bumpy, rutted, slippery and just plain dangerous. I saw a plow. But his blade was mostly skating over the top of everything.

The Ranger, with no bed is pretty sketchy. I stayed below 25mph. The back end bounces pretty bad and has no traction. I shoveled just enough to safely walk to the Ranger and back. That's enough.

20220116_181219.jpg

20220116_181327.jpg

20220116_181410.jpg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We are getting snow now. The forecast is still so open ended, we'll just to have to wait and see what we really get. They are calling for 6"-10". It looks like we might have about 2" right now. It's blowing pretty good since there is a dusting on the truck even tough it's covered by the carport.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Western PA, 4:15 pm no snow. At 4:30 pm the grass was covered. They're calling for 6" to 10" by tomorrow afternoon. It's kicking now.
Got the snowblower, salt, and snow shovels out of the yard barn. First I've needed them this year, which is unheard of. Love me some global warming.
My garage is kinda tight so the snowblower is in the back of the Ranger in the garage, ramps under the truck, and the wife's minivan in the driveway to keep it away from the plows and salt trucks.
I'll probably blow off work until lunch tomorrow depending on the roads. Blasting around in a foot of snow is my idea of fun and WHY I have 4x4 trucks but it depends on the ice situation. If there's ice then screw it.
Also the OE Bridgestones have a decent amount of tread left but one look at them and you can tell they're not going to be real good in snow.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Western PA, 4:15 pm no snow. At 4:30 pm the grass was covered. They're calling for 6" to 10" by tomorrow afternoon. It's kicking now.
Got the snowblower, salt, and snow shovels out of the yard barn. First I've needed them this year, which is unheard of. Love me some global warming.
My garage is kinda tight so the snowblower is in the back of the Ranger in the garage, ramps under the truck, and the wife's minivan in the driveway to keep it away from the plows and salt trucks.
I'll probably blow off work until lunch tomorrow depending on the roads. Blasting around in a foot of snow is my idea of fun and WHY I have 4x4 trucks but it depends on the ice situation. If there's ice then screw it.
Also the OE Bridgestones have a decent amount of tread left but one look at them and you can tell they're not going to be real good in snow.
We have tomorrow off for the holiday. So, I'll take my time going out to clean up the mess. Both snow blowers have been sitting since the end of October, beginning of November all ready to go. Probably about time to give them a good run and break any fuel system build up out of them.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
just looked outside, not much just yet.
7C189869-7E10-4B2B-8759-77F845544720.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals