• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Today's bad luck...

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Well spoke to the insurance company, and they are going to total my truck, we figured so but errrrrr. They still havent gotten back to me with a value, obviously im going to buy it back. I however am not interested in replacing the bed side if im able to find one. I know some guys have said look in copart, however im not going to ship a whole truck, and dont need another to part out, i currently have 4 vehicals to part out. Does anyone around the northwest, or areas surrounding the Birmingham Alabama, area have a straight, rust free 7 foot bed for sale.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I’m in Hotlanta, I’ll look around. If I find one, we can work it out (old girlfriend in Steel City will put me up/put up with me). Bed might be stained...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
A couple possibilities and I know one other on the “wire” but can’t check till Monday. I can’t tell if they are 6 or 7, but I have to make a run for my junk anyway.

2435E45D-F756-4D2F-99E6-9D6F7053FE77.png
52082B60-255C-4CFD-B45E-A1EDBD956AEE.png
FC6ED52D-4A3B-4DEF-A813-D470D4E87E22.png

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Thanks for the leads folks, id appreciate all the help locating a good one just calling and asking around some where thats 1000 miles away gets difficult lol. Im even willing to offer a finders fee if it could be deliverd to a to be specified location ie our warehouse down there.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Update: I got on the phone, no luck with a clean long bed. Day job and redhead and Covid shot got in the way, so I’ll check out the Pull-A-Parts on Thursday. I also know where there is a 7 with “a little rust,” I’ll check it out & get some pictures.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Well got ahold of the insurance agent for usaa and if i let them have the truck they offerd me 1000$ thats some total bs. They told me if i wish to contest the valuation i need to show them for sale adds for comparison, anyone wana help with some special for sale adds lol

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Well got ahold of the insurance agent for usaa and if i let them have the truck they offerd me 1000$ thats some total bs. They told me if i wish to contest the valuation i need to show them for sale adds for comparison, anyone wana help with some special for sale adds lol
Well at that point it is probably worth more to just drop the claim and keep a clean title and find a bed for it eventually. mAybe you can ask USAA if you can kick thier client in the nads as a general principle and keep the truck and clean title. It would be a win win, they don't have to pay out, and thier client gets trained to be a better driver.

AJ

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Here I go again:

put together a list of why your truck isn’t the average beater..

give us the details, year, engine, trans, etc, etc, and then and a couple of us can look for ones for sale to support a better value

Where are you, look around at trucks for sale within 300 miles.

these TRS guys can probably provide all the pointers why your truck is better than the average truck and I have that increases the value. Just list out all those positive selling points to use car salesman do.

The trick in winning an insurance claim is to change the playing field. The insurance company assumes the playing field starts at zero and then you have to prove what it’s worth so they give you more money. If you start negotiating with them at zero, you’re going to lose. So what you do is put together as much factual information as you can supplemented with as much smoke and mirrors as you can to propose a number that you think it’s really worth. And because you’re negotiating that number should be high . So if they wanna start at zero, let’s just say you start at $6200 because of blah blah blah. And then, don’t settle for the middle, you should be negotiating down a little bit at a time from your number not up from zero.

Also, throwing all the extra expenses. You lost work that day, you’re losing were taking it around for estimates, you’ll need a rental while it’s being fixed, you had to eat meals out because you were doing all this work. That all sounds crazy, but that’s all the stuff the insurance company should be considering and reimbursing. I’m not saying you were going to get all of that stuff, but you put it all on the table so hopefully you can get what you need in the negotiation

also, throwing all the extra expenses. You lost work that day, you’re losing work taking it around for estimates, you’ll need a rental while it’s being fixed, you had to eat meals out because you were doing all this work. That all sounds crazy, but that’s all the stuff the insurance company should be considering and reimbursing. I’m not saying you were going to get all of that stuff, but you put it all on the table so hopefully you can get what you need in the negotiation. and don’t call them when you put this all together. Put it together in a letter with the pictures with the estimates, with a cover letter that organizes at all, and say you need to settle to get your truck back on the road it’s affecting your business.

and here’s the big one. You have to put all the stuff together first, but then in your letters say you’re very unhappy with the way this is being handled, a negative comment but nothing too abusive, and say if they don’t get reasonable about settling in you’re going to go to the state insurance commissioner, and mention him by name. If you’re a halfway decent liar when you need to be, tell him your uncle knows him personally.

Biggest thing when negotiating is to realize it’s extremely personal to you, but it’s just a checklist item to the insurance company guy. So you have to let go of your emotion, and you have to raise a little emotion in him in the sense that you’re going to go over his head if he can’t get this thing resolved and it’s going on too long, etc. my last thought is USAA is usually pretty good about settling claims. So if you rattled them a little bit or asked to go over the guys head coupled with all this other stuff, I think you can work it out.
Send me/us the details on your truck and a picture of the interior and all four sides of the truck so we can look for comps

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well at that point it is probably worth more to just drop the claim and keep a clean title and find a bed for it eventually. mAybe you can ask USAA if you can kick thier client in the nads as a general principle and keep the truck and clean title. It would be a win win, they don't have to pay out, and thier client gets trained to be a better driver.

AJ
USAA is pretty damn loyal for an insurance company. They would probably sue for damages to the future timeline for any nad related injuries...

A tree fell on my car and I'm pretty sure they tried to sue a guy who knew a guy who saw a dog pee on the tree once.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's a steal for $150...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

fred m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
12.5 cups
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ask that insurance agent to see the comparable vehicles they used to determine ACV. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, a running and driving ‘83 is almost certainly worth a lot more than a grand.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I sold my '89 long box single cab 4x4 for $3500 in Nov 2018. Use that for comparison if you need, I have pics and a copy of the Craigslist ad... and it was NOT as nice as yours was.

I would suggest gathering up several for sale ads for similar trucks that have high sale prices and tell them that you won't settle until they give you what you want. They are in business to process claims for as little as possible...make it hard for them.

I did that when my F150 got hit. They wanted to give me like a grand for the truck and they would have kept it. I found comparable trucks in the $5000+ range, long story short I got a $3000 check and I still have the truck and it does not have a salvage title (apparently SD doesn't brand titles after a certain age, might not apply to you.) But in that same vein, if you can find a couple nice trucks that have sold for more than $3000, your truck should NOT be considered totaled because you could theoretically sell it for far more than that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals