• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TK5 convert 2wd to 4wd

freckles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93
Make / Model
Ford 2x
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Right. My DD is a 93 Exploder with a bad A4LD. Bad converter, but it drives okay, if somewhat lanquidly, if I leave it in drive, as opposed to overdrive. Picture a Dynaflow Buick....about an hour and a half to move into traffic. :sad: Good thing our little town doesn't have much traffic...The A4LD will take at least a couple hundred for a converter to fix if my 'parts' Ex's converter is belly up too. That I'll be finding out in a few days when I trade converters. BUTTTT!!! I have a Toyo-Kogyo 5 speed left over from an 87 Aerostar.

At this point the remainder of the brain kicks in and asks " Why can't you convert the Aero's tranny to take the Exploder transfer?" and I have to agree: this sounds like a hell of an idea. :icon_idea:

From the tech section, I've seen that it can be done by finding the appropriate parts (mainshaft, extension housing, maybe shifter, and the bell and clutch to fit it to a 4.0). Practically speaking, is this feasible, and reasonable for a DD? I'll likely be the last driver this Ex will see, and I've never been hard on trannies, since I've had to rebuild them too. Anecdotal 'evidence' of supposed weakness probably won't be applicable, since this will stay on city streets most of the rest of its life. It was fine behind the 3.0 for 115k. With a bearing kit and check the syncros, it should be good for a few more.

When the Aero was the DD, I loved the way it shifted, and had no issues with it for the 115K that I put on it before the 3.0 gave up the ghost and made keeping it an untenable position. That in turn made it cannon fodder for my son to attempt an abortive engine/tranny swap. Didn't work, and I'm left with a few body parts and the tranny.
What years/models commonly had the TK5 as a 4wd? This will be needed when I start calling the yards in the area for pieces/parts or a tranny to trade for.
Right now, I'm thinking I'll prolly have to describe the tranny I'm looking for, since the FM was produced coincidentally with the TK, and they look very similar until you describe the bottom cover.

Anyway, feel free to offer advice or whatever it is you Midwest guys offer when someone broaches an idea. I'm wondering about the driveshafts especially...so chime on in, hey!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals