• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Title transfer from louisiana to Texas

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
I gots a question, I found THE truck I want but the only thing is it's out of state, what would it take to the title transfered from Louisiana to Texas and also to get it registered here?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
got pics of it atleast?? :D

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I looked into transferring a car from Or to Wa a while back... I'm pretty sure you just pay a little extra since it's out of state. You may have to get it inspected, can't remember.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I gots a question, I found THE truck I want but the only thing is it's out of state, what would it take to the title transfered from Louisiana to Texas and also to get it registered here?
I really don't think it would be any different than if you bought it at the corner car lot. When you go to the DMV to get your plates, and transfer ownership, they'll send the title in to the state. just my .02 though

My question is, would you still pay sales tax if bought out of state?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
wow nice truck!!

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
I really don't think it would be any different than if you bought it at the corner car lot. When you go to the DMV to get your plates, and transfer ownership, they'll send the title in to the state. just my .02 though

My question is, would you still pay sales tax if bought out of state?
well my dad just moved to shreveport and to get it registered you have to pay taxes on it which is 10% of blue book value, so I really don't want to pay taxes twice on it

pastor bubba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ten or so years ago, we moved to TX from WI and I had to get my vehicles inspected before I could get plates. At that time, I think it was around $30 or so. And then you take the inspection form to get your plates. You will pay more on taxes for it because if I remember right, TX does not have state taxes. Overall, it is pretty painless as long as you have everything done in advance because they won't do anything until the t's are crossed and the i's dotted. Best advice I have for you is to call them up and ask exactly what you have to do.

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
yeah I plan on calling the dps office once I get off school

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I bought a car from a friend in CT a few years back. Had no issues resigstering it OR transfering the title in NH.

I just had to have my licence, bill of sale & the old title WITH the prievious owner's sig, and I was golden.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
well my dad just moved to shreveport and to get it registered you have to pay taxes on it which is 10% of blue book value, so I really don't want to pay taxes twice on it
only if you didnt pay the sales tax. If you paid the sales tax in the purchase, then you just pay to register it.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In TX, don't delay registering it though. I think you've got a 30 day grace period, then the taxes go WAY up.

JimJa1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'05
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Been there, done that...

As a military type I have bought and sold vehicles all over the world...literally. Here's what you'll need...

Current title, registration, Bill of Sale and proof of insurance.

You may have to get your new ride inspected and smogged in the new state. It's state and vehicle age dependent. At a minimum you will probably have to have your local police check the VIN number against the title. The local police will have the proper form for this, but be sure to ask, you may have to go to the DMV to obtain the form. Some states only require a "statement" from you about the VIN.

Take the title, registration, proof of insurance, VIN inspection, and smog inspection if required, to the DMV.

You will have to pay sales tax on the sale amount, a fee to change the title to your state ($20 or so) and the registration fee which will include the property tax (if your state has a property tax for trucks).

In return you'll receive a new title in your state (some states print it off while you wait, others will mail it to you in a couple of weeks), a new registration, and plates with current "stickers."

If you have a lien on the vehicle be sure and tell the lien holder your intentions so they will give you the title (if they have it). After you receive the new title you'll probably have to mail it to the lien holder after all it's really their truck.

It sounds complicated...it's not. 20 minutes max...if you've got all the paperwork.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
You will have to pay sales tax on the sale amount.
Only if he didnt pay the sales tax in the purchase, regardless of if he took a loan out on it or paid in full. I JUST went through this when I got stationed here.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think it varies state to state though. I know a guy who got out of paying sales tax when he was moving from here to VA by buying his new truck before he changed his residence.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals