• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire sizing

JIMMYH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
LARIAT FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Jim,I need to know what the widest tire I can fit on a stock 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 with stock 265/60R18's tires and rims.There was a previous discussion where Jim states his tires were 265/65/17's but I guess the FX4 has taller 18" rims and his model was an XLT?I am not looking to adjust any of the stock suspension parts as it is a daily driver and I want to keep the same stock chrome rims but just want the new tires to be as wide as possible but obviously not rub also.I am possibly open to getting wheel spacers if absolutely necessary but would rather not if there is no need.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
265mm wide equals 10.43 inches so a 10.5 wide tire.

A 265/65/17 tire is 30.6 inches from top to bottom
A 265/60/18 tire is 30.5 inches from top to bottom
Both are the same width measuring in at 10.43 inches or 265 millimeters wide

The tires Jim Oaks used for the Loan Ranger were 265/70/17's about 31.5/10.4/R17 this size can change slightly by different makes of tires. Usual tolerances is 2-3 tenths of an inch difference in height and width dimensions. The equivalent for an 18" rim would be a 265/65/R18 measuring in at around 31.6/10.4/18

Since the new ranger hasn't been out that long there isn't much info on tires for them since they are only 2 model years old and many haven't changed from factory tires yet. Your best bet would be a tire shop, they would have a better idea and could measure for the "widest" tire that will fit. You can go up 1 inch and not have any issues as Jim proved with the stock Loan Ranger and they fill out the wheel wells nicely.

Here is a good comparison calculator that will help you. https://tiresize.com/comparison/

you can always measure the clearance you have and figure out what will fit on your own. If you have a 1" of clearance from frame/sway bar for tire but only 1/2 inch from tire to fender then you need to use the fender measurement as the size you can go up to. remember that if you have 1/2 inch clearance and put that on the tire you will only get 1/4 inch closer to that item because the other half of that is on the inner side.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals