• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire Ratings = KM2/MTZ

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I have been looking for tires to use with the new lift.
Size will be either 285 x 75 x 16 or a 295 same as...
What I am running into is that both of the tires I am thinking of (KM2 or MTZ) are 8 ply tires.

My question is: Are these tires really 8 ply or the ply rating a game the tire manufacturers are playing ?

Any comments on this ?

I know a lot of people are saying they ride great, they are the best, etc but I am getting a funny feeling about the ratings.

Is an 8 Ply Rating really eight ply and if not then what is it ?

Looks like I doubled up a little here, let's keep this thread to Ply rating IF possible.

Last edited:

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get Toyo's they're 10 ply.....

Reports are coming in that the sidewalls are a bit weak on the new KM2's and tend to slice on rocks, so I'd say 8 ply probably means 8 ply. I'm not sure I really understand your question...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
"Ply" isn't normally used as a rating for tires anymore (and hasn't been for awhile), they are rated by "Load Range" now (virtually all tires have either two or three sidewall plies, and 4-6 tread plies, regardless of it's rating).

Load Range C is generally equal to a 6-ply tire on the old system.
Load range D = 8 ply,
Load range E = 10 ply.

Generally higher-rated tires will have thicker plies, but not necessarily more plies.
The thicker sidewall plies can also affect the ride quality of the tire, as well as the tire's ability to flex around rocks and other obstacles when aired down.

Get Toyo's they're 10 ply.....

Reports are coming in that the sidewalls are a bit weak on the new KM2's and tend to slice on rocks, so I'd say 8 ply probably means 8 ply. I'm not sure I really understand your question...
Where did you hear this? I thought BFG had improved them over the KM sidewalls (which I've generally had no issues with).

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I forgot the question in the original post but it is now there, thanks Chris.S.

I was trying to get peoples feeling about the ply rating situation.

The KM2 is rated at 10 ply or "E" Rating, man years back a 10 ply tire was on a big truck.

I guess I am concerned that if I put these tire on my Ranger it will not ride well.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
YEah a 10 ply tire will make it ride really stiff! We put a set of 33 Toyo's on our work truck they are load E's and they are just Unbearible! so stiff it makes the truck ride like C*@p and they are really really heavy! My MTZ's are 31's and are load C's but I haven't even gotten a nail through them yet and I worked construction and now at a tire shop with hazards in the lot. No holes yet.

Don't get toyos, all I hear is bad things from people doing more then just looking good on the black top. Our shop sells them but I refuse to buy them.

Oh and to answer your queston yes, the manufacture puts 8 ply on the tire so its an 8 ply... doesn't matter what company 8 ply is 8ply. Although usually it means there is 8plys on the tread section... the sidewalls vary (they don't have 8plys probably more like 4 or 5)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals