• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire Pressure

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Grump it wasn't that way!!! I love arguing... I apologize for making it sound like I was being an abusive student sometimes. <------ read between the lines. You say whatever you want man, and know even the most honest of my arguments will never be intended to be angry or hurtful. You're good people. I just love to argue... so it's my fault.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Correct--I ran 10 ply's (load E), on the FX4 04 level two, so I may have spoiled my ability to rate "ride comfort"-The 04 was a "hard as a board", but when I parted with it at over 180,000 miles, it was still a sad day. Ride comfort on this new one, is soft/very comfortable, with great suspension response/shock control. Not much rain in our area, (haven't driven out more than 150 miles), but there are quite a few reviews on Tire Rack, with some mileages in excess of 70 thousand.
Yes, I have a set of BFGs on my 2010 and have 70k on them with roughly 7-8/32 tread depth left...?? I will tell u though, they are starting to get loud and don’t hold traction as they once did....I figure this fall I will get new ones, which will be roughly another 10k on them

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
My understanding is that manufacturer set the PSI for both the type of tire and weight that the vehicle is designed to carry. Load Range E being a 10 ply tire is meant more for 3/4+ ton vehicles which usually has a 50+ PSI rating due to them being heavier out of the factory plus the ability to tow and be loaded with lots of weight in the bed. LT (Light Truck) tires are meant for 1/2 ton full size pick ups that are used as a work truck. This means being loaded and towing but within recommended manufacture specs. Because this tire is usually more flexible than the strait E rated tire it will give a better ride while not weighted down and usually installed with a PSI of around 35.

It blows my mind someone would install an E rated tire on a Ranger where many are rated at under a 1/2 ton carrying capacity so the side walls will not see the weight nor does it need the standard 50 PSI in the tires. Talk about kidney busters right there. Unless you go off road with your Ranger an LT rated tire is to much for the average person to need. If you tow say a camper or an enclosed tool trailer then I can see the LT's being on a Ranger but for the average use most people give a truck, a trip now and then with a load, LT's and E rated are way above what is needed and recommended for tires. I'm willing the new rangers with LT tires have the tow package installed because the weight of the new Rangers do not meet the specs of the LT tires.

Yes I have worked in a few Tire shops over the years, trained in tires at the age of 14, and have had some good arguments with management over what even the "LT" stands for. It took a good year for me to convince the manager of one that LT didn't just mean Light Flotation but included others to.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Correct--I ran 10 ply's (load E), on the FX4 04 level two, so I may have spoiled my ability to rate "ride comfort"-The 04 was a "hard as a board"
Yes, you have your answer--My FX4 was "off road" all the time! :icon_thumby: That's were you have the most full, here in Arizona. The sidewalls heavy construction saved us more than once, from the jagged rocks, and thorns the size of 8 penny nails!!

The exact GVWR was
Curb3,606 lbs.
Gross Vehicle weight rating5,440 lbs.

the rear leaf spring stacks, were awesome!

Last edited:

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
BFG's-Original size, 8 ply rating....
Our 2019 Ranger was special ordered from the factory (by the dealer) with LT 265-65-R17 tires. Placard on the door specifies 38 PSI.

Sorry if I missed this but where did you come up with the 44 psi? Ours actually did have 44 psi when we bought it and the ride was harsh, dropped the pressure down to 38 on the drive home from the dealership and it was so much nicer.

Tire Pressure Sticker Rotated No Vin.jpg

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Our 2019 Ranger was special ordered from the factory (by the dealer) with LT 265-65-R17 tires. Placard on the door specifies 38 PSI.

Sorry if I missed this but where did you come up with the 44 psi? Ours actually did have 44 psi when we bought it and the ride was harsh, dropped the pressure down to 38 on the drive home from the dealership and it was so much nicer.
Are your tires 6 Ply?? Load range C? Are the tires filled with straight Nitrogen? Also, this is a "cold" setting--My tires are inflated with Nitrogen, load D and do not vary the air pressure, cold, or hot. We are only 6LBs different, and the ride comfort, a perception, probably diff between a 4x2/4x4.

If you adjusted this pressure after the drive, take a look at the pressures, in the morning/cold. Might be diff/less???

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Are your tires 6 Ply?? Load range C? Are the tires filled with straight Nitrogen? Also, this is a "cold" setting--My tires are inflated with Nitrogen, load D and do not vary the air pressure, cold, or hot. We are only 6LBs different, and the ride comfort, a perception, probably diff between a 4x2/4x4.

If you adjusted this pressure after the drive, take a look at the pressures, in the morning/cold. Might be diff/less???
Just compressed air. As the sticker I posted shows they are load C tires and are LT.

What does the door sticker on your truck show as the specified pressure? The Engineers at Ford determine optimal pressure is based on the tire size, type and load rating of the vehicle.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wasn't sure if that "C" on the end, was your load rating--Mine does not have any letter/rating-indeed, the tires that came on the truck are 2 ply!!! Took them off before the odometer hit 300 miles! The "guideline" sticker for the tires I took off, is 35PSI. I 'm sure this probably was relevant, for the original's.

I haven't been able to even give them away, still sitting in the extra bedroom. Bridgestones.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You keep old tires in your bedroom?

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ya, Doesn't everybody!!!!:p I'm a car guy, the wife is very understanding!!!! If I put them in the Garage, the 130 plus, degree heat in the summer, will destroy them!!! The solar heat inside the garage, is extraordinary!!!!

I parked the Cadi inside on July 4th, years ago, came back in Oct, and the tires where ruined/flat spotted from sitting too long. Had to by new ones!

Very cautious about what I leave in the garage, during the summer!!:cool: No aerosol cans, ect!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals