• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire Help

JerrysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 4 inch lift kit for my 2005 2wd Ford Ranger, what is a quality set of black tires I could get and what size should I look into?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What kind of driving will you be doing? What engine do you have? Increasing tire size will change your performance - mpg and perceived torque and horsepower. So there will be trade-offs. Offroad tires generally are softer and wear faster. So if you do a lot of highway driving that may affect your decision. What are your goals with this truck?

Why black?

JerrysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 4 cylinder engine I don’t off-road crazy amounts but I do from time to time, I drive mostly in the mountains on northern New Jersey not too much on the highway. I was thinking black since that would look good on my truck.

JerrysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
I’m honestly just look for a cheaper, quality set of tires that would fit my truck but I don’t know what I can fit with the lift.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Daily driver or occasional toy? Mine are toys, I don’t have to rely on them for work, etc.

The bigger your tires, the more you hinder off-the-line torque/jump/speed. Big big tires will make the truck feel anemic unless you also change the rear end to a higher ratio to restore that off-the-line performance. Also, bigger tires and/or higher ratio or both cut gas mileage.

Sooo, I suggest these steps for us to help:

What size engine and which transmission?
What’s the rear ratio? I think there’s a code on the door sticker and there’s a metal tag on the rear end. If you google either you’ll get the ratio.
Then google “2005 Ford ranger images.” You’ll get pictures of a zillion ‘05 rangers. Copy the 2-3 you like best and post it with this info. These TRS guys can tell you how to get set up with what you have, or what you’ll have to change to get the look and performance you want.

My only other thought is do you have a limited slip diff or not now, and are you going to change the gears. If so, you can also select LS or open. Also affects mileage, but a consideration in snow country (might be too late for this week!).

& my final thought (which should be first) is these changes will also affect braking and maybe steering. Safety first!!!

Hope it helps.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A 4" lift will fit 33's. The common 33x12.50-15 on a 15x8 wheel with 3.75" backspace or a 305/70-16 on a 16x8 with around 0" offset. I run Mastercraft all-terrains, they don't cost a lot, essentially Cooper's bargain basement brand. You will need at least 4.56 gears. A 4 cyl will have the 7.5" rear axle and I don't know if anyone makes 4.88's for it or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals