• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) timing job

jack frost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the timing belt and tensioners was replaced on my 96 xlt 2.3 ext cab once at around 150.000 its now around 280.000 truck runs great except for the electrical short in the speedometer's circuit board which im looking for a new instrument cluster with a tach. so anything i should check and or change while im there.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
At that many miles it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the water pump and thermostat, and definitely get the timing belt kit with the tensioner, they're like $3 more and the tensioner separate is like $15...

jack frost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
sorry for the late reply been out of pocket for a spell...i just did a water pump thermostat , and water neck . when i got it i did eng oil ,man trans oil and dif oil all looked good ... then plugs n wires fuel pump and filter cool temp sensor and temp sensor a new front header panel and all new lights .then #25 fuse fuse kept blowing traced it to the back of speedometer just got the worm gear in and cleaned all the old one out of the other gears hope this fixes that issue we will see tomorrow.

jack frost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
At that many miles it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the water pump and thermostat, and definitely get the timing belt kit with the tensioner, they're like $3 more and the tensioner separate is like $15...
I DID IT ALL ....now trying to fix speedometer from blowing # 25 fuse

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals