• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

timing chain guides

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the middle of reassembling my 4.0 OHV with new heads and before I put it all back together I want to replace the timing chain guides. I bought a set including a timing chain and guides, but don't want to unnecessarily change the valve timing (Up to this point the engine is in exactly the same position it was in when I took the old heads off.)
I've read (on this forum????) that the tick_tick_tick that many of these 4.0 engines have on startup is due to collapsed timing chain guides, so I'm thinking I might be better off just replacing the guides without messing with the timing chain.
Expert opinions welcomed, valued, and applied. Other opinions, not so much.
coopab

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
not an expert, but much of the ticking on the OHV is due to poor oil flow to the rocker arm/pushrod contact points. takes a while to get oil up there after startup.
timing chain noise with the 4.0 SOHC engine is much more common than on the OHV.
i think the timing chains are reliable on the OHV engines, but whether to change it would depend on mileage. opinions will vary. if you are over 200k and you're at a good spot with assembly then do it.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, timing chain noise is all but unheard of on the OHV. Almost 100% of startup and ticking type noises on the OHV are related to the lifters and pushrods.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
ohv or sohc? there is a geometric difference between the two engines.

you say ohv. ohv if the engine was using a valvoline type of oil at 3-5 k change intervals i would expect 250-300k out of system if kept in half ass tune with plugs and fuel filters.

the sohc engines are a pain in the ass to deal with. if there is issues with the guides and or cassettes i would pull the engine and do it all if the vehicle is to remain a driver for the long term. get a book for it.

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
not an expert, but much of the ticking on the OHV is due to poor oil flow to the rocker arm/pushrod contact points. takes a while to get oil up there after startup.
timing chain noise with the 4.0 SOHC engine is much more common than on the OHV.
i think the timing chains are reliable on the OHV engines, but whether to change it would depend on mileage. opinions will vary. if you are over 200k and you're at a good spot with assembly then do it.
Well that is my situation. I've been taking my time doing this and since I already have the parts I might just as well do the timing chain and guides.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you're not removing the cam, or pulling the crank, you should be able to rotate the engine til the timing marks line up on the gears, pull the cam bolt, remove the timing chain set as one unit, then install the new set...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals