• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Timing Belt Won't line up

joemag7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If it makes you feel better. My 2.3L engine has the same problem. After lining up all the marks, the timing belt would be a half a tooth off on the cam. The first 2 times when I aligned the marks, I retarded the crank a half tooth. This last time around, I advanced the crank a half tooth. Either way, no problems. It doesn't really matter too much with this engine, as long as you got it as close as possible.
Well if a Rocket Scientist says it's no big deal then yes, it does make me feel much better :icon_thumby:

For records sake; I retarded the cam pulley by half a tooth because I assumed as the belt wears in and gives a little that would advance the pulley on its own, thus making it all perfect (in theory anyway).

McKee2847

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have the same truck and issue of the cam not lining up. How ever it still sounds like crap when running and try to die. Any suggestions?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Put the belt on. Release the tensioner so it tightens the belt. Rotate the crankshaft two complete turns, ending up with the crankshaft at TDC. The keyway should be at Noon o'clock on top of the crankshaft, and the two timing mark sets should align. One possible cause of being off slightly is wear or rust on the keys/keyways. A second possible cause is slop in the installation or design/molding of the rear cover. If it is 'off', the marks may not align no matter what you do.
Be aware that the sprockets changed(actually the belt) to handle square or rounded-corner belt teeth. If you mix and match different sprockets, you can end up with mis-alignment.
tom

McKee2847

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I did all that. Possible slop. The cam is off half a tooth.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals